Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Didn't you know? Sports awards lately have been all about name, not actual play (though admittedly Kiermaier was great before his injury). Altuve as a finalist for MVP was also dumb.

I am not mad that Pillar did not win, I really don't care about this award, I just find it funny. KK is really good, though.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Nick Markakis could be a solid add for us in LF. Atlanta may consider moving him. He has always raked at the Rogers Centre. Also is familiar with AL East.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I know Votto has probably 2-3 years too many on his contract, but if EE is going to get the same (or more) dollars, I'd look into a soft deal for him and take on the contract. When the kids start getting truly expensive through arb, Martin's contract will be off the books, and Tulo will be down to $14M + option. Depending on how much higher payroll can go up, add Beltran on a 1 year deal, and an OF option to split time with Pompey and Upton...

2B - Travis
3B - Donaldson
1B - Votto
SS - Tulowitzki
DH - Beltran
C - Martin
RF - FA
CF - Pillar
LF - Pompey

C - Jiminez/FA (Mathis/Hundley/Iannetta/etc.)
1B - Smoak
UTIL - Barney
OF - Upton

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Didn't you know? Sports awards lately have been all about name, not actual play (though admittedly Kiermaier was great before his injury). Altuve as a finalist for MVP was also dumb.

in 104 games Kiermaier still had 4 more defensive runs saved than Pillar. He doesn't make as many flashy plays, but he plays the position better. In fact, he's one of the best all time based on the numbers

Edit: Pillar has a higher UZR/150 so this is kinda bull ****

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's not that he really plays the position better (range, tracking, route efficiency), he just has a cannon of an arm that completely shuts down baserunners from advancing.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
What goes into a gold glove? it seems like it should be best fielding % but there is more to it?

No it shouldn't. Fielding % can be misleading. For example Donaldson gets to more balls than most 3Bs but if he makes an impossible stop then throws it off a bit he'd get the error and that actually happens often with him. Jose doesn't get many errors because his range sucks.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
What are the guesses of what payroll will increase to this season and beyond?

I would think something in the neighborhood of 165-175 million will fill all needs and bring back EE.

This should be the plan.

Any thoughts.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Saw this on another board - what do you think?

A Charlie Blackmon-Marcus Stroman deal would be intriguing from both sides I think.

The Rockies get a young pitcher with elite ground ball tendencies (suited for Coors) and the Jays get a high end outfielder.

Stroman is eligible for free agency in 4 seasons, Blackmon in 2.

I think Blackmon is probably closer to a .280 hitter and 20 HR instead of .325/30. So the Rockies would probably have to add a prospect to the deal. Not sure they'd part with Riley Pint but I don't think someone like Kyle Freeland would get it done.

If Stroman could get the Jays a player who helps them compete now along with futures, it's not such a crazy idea IMO. That probably means Biagini returns as a starter and they have to dip into the free agent market (Hammel? Lewis? Volquez?)

beer123

Nov 15, 2009

A Charlie Blackmon-Marcus Stroman deal would be intriguing from both sides I think.

The Rockies get a young pitcher with elite ground ball tendencies (suited for Coors) and the Jays get a high end outfielder.

I think Blackmon is probably closer to a .280 hitter and 20 HR instead of .325/30. So the Rockies would probably have to add a prospect to the deal. Not sure they'd part with Riley Pint but I don't think someone like Kyle Freeland would get it done.

If Stroman could get the Jays a player who helps them compete now along with futures, it's not such a crazy idea IMO. That probably means Biagini returns as a starter and they have to dip into the free agent market (Hammel? Lewis? Volquez?)

That would be an amazing trade.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Blackmon is projected to earn 9m next season (5.5m more than Stroman), has two years less in terms of player control, and we're still not certain what kind of player he is away from Coors yet (he did have superior road splits this year however). He's an intriguing piece but I'm not sure a deal is to be had there. Rockies are probably fine with Gray/Anderson/Bettis/Chatwood/Marquez/Hoffman in the rotation. They more importantly need bullpen help.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I like Blackmon a lot, but four years of Stroman is significantly more valuable than two years of Blackmon, and the difference is a lot more than a ~50 FV prospect.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Love Charlie Blackmon. Better on the road than at home in 2016. Great beard.

Hate the idea of:
(i) buying high on Charlie Blackmon
(ii) selling low on Marcus Stroman
(iii) selling young controllable pitching with FIP's and xFIP's significantly lower than their ERA

The value is certainly there. And it's a much better idea than the Stroman deal proposed by McCown last night. (Stroman for Archer in a 1 for 1.....which might be the biggest waste of time trade I've ever seen given their the same level of quality, production and control, essentially.)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I would guess that they go 1 year with Stroman this offseason but does anyone think there is a chance the Jays could take a risk and sign him to a longer term extension?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No it shouldn't. Fielding % can be misleading. For example Donaldson gets to more balls than most 3Bs but if he makes an impossible stop then throws it off a bit he'd get the error and that actually happens often with him. Jose doesn't get many errors because his range sucks.

ok thank you for that, makes sense the way you explained it.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
They should look into extending him, and I hope they do.[/

I would agree, jury might be out on if he is an ace, but he is a quality YOUNG starter who isn't rattled in pressure situations and oozes confidence, you always need that on your team if you want to compete.

Last edited:

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
What sort of return would a guy like Marcell Ozuna of the Marlins require? While he's not a great on-base guy, he has power and likely would be a good corner outfielder defensively. He's young and controllable with upside as a potential move to the AL East could enhance his power potential. Marlins are kind of stuck with Yelich and Stanton in the corners and Ozuna not being the greatest CF. Would he be available?

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
What sort of return would a guy like Marcell Ozuna of the Marlins require? While he's not a great on-base guy, he has power and likely would be a good corner outfielder defensively. He's young and controllable with upside as a potential move to the AL East could enhance his power potential. Marlins are kind of stuck with Yelich and Stanton in the corners and Ozuna not being the greatest CF. Would he be available?

Not a huge fan of Ozuna but I'd love to see what it would take to get Yelich

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

paradise valley, ariz. — toronto blue jays star free agent outfielder jose bautista is receiving interest from outside teams, but coming off his injury-plagued, down year, nothing is completely off the table, including perhaps even accepting the $17.2 million qualifying offer.

Bautista’s people met for a long time in the lobby here at the scottsdale omni with a red sox executive, and it’s known that bautista’s ability to pull and take advantage of the green monster came up, but bautista’s main longtime agent jay alou downplayed the meeting, saying he has a longtime friendship with that boston executive, frank wren. And boston is known to be looking at many different available players as possible replacements for retired icon david ortiz, such as edwin encarnacion, carlos beltran, kendrys morales and others.

Alou, when asked, didn’t rule out taking the qualifying offer, though that would seem to be something of a long shot. When asked about that possibility, alou said, “he loves the city, loves the fans. I didn’t realize how much he loves it there. And he really feels he has unfinished business.â€
among other teams interested in either outfield help or a big righty bat are the dodgers, giants, astros, yankees, mets and rangers, though it’s impossible to see texas taking an interest after what happened with bautista and rougned odor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad