Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sign:

1B Edwin Encarnacion ($23M)
RF Josh Reddick ($11M)
DH Kendrys Morales ($13M)
LF Yoenis Cespedes ($25M)
RP Mark Melancon ($13M)

Batting order:

2B Devon Travis ($2M)
3B Josh Donaldson ($17M)
1B Edwin Encarnacion ($23M)
LF Yoenis Cespedes ($25M)
DH Kendrys Morales ($13M)
SS Troy Tulowitzki ($20M)
RF Josh Reddick ($11M)
C Russell Martin ($20M)
CF Kevin Pillar ($3M)

Reserves:

IF Darwin Barney ($1M)
1B Justin Smoak ($4M)
OF Ezequiel Carrera ($1M)
OF Melvin Upton Jr. ($5M)

Pitchers:

Marcus Stroman
Aaron Sanchez
J.A. Happ
Marco Estrada
Francisco Liriano

Roberto Osuna (CL)
Mark Melancon
Jason Grilli
Joe Biagini
Danny Barnes
Scott Feldman

Do the jays all of a sudden have the highest payroll in the MLB?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Realistically what level of position player could they get for Stroman if they went down that road? Personally, I wouldn't want to as I feel he has ice water in his veins and he's only going to get better but if they feel they can replace him in the system and significantly upgrade a position spot, I wouldn't say it's out of the picture.

For those who pay close attention, how far are the top pitching prospects from making an impact? Are there enough assets to find a top half of the rotation starting pitcher mid season if Estrada, Sanchez and Happ can't get it done?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Realistically what level of position player could they get for Stroman if they went down that road? Personally, I wouldn't want to as I feel he has ice water in his veins and he's only going to get better but if they feel they can replace him in the system and significantly upgrade a position spot, I wouldn't say it's out of the picture.

For those who pay close attention, how far are the top pitching prospects from making an impact? Are there enough assets to find a top half of the rotation starting pitcher mid season if Estrada, Sanchez and Happ can't get it done?

Something in the Yelich/Marte tier? That's at least what I'd be targeting.

Assuming SRF starts at New Hampshire next season, he'll probably be ready midseason 2018 (shutdown fall 2017 because of innings limit). Greene, he's a pretty polarizing prospect but assuming all goes well he could be a September 2017 option for the pen and be a #5 or AAA depth in 2018. If the main MLB guys don't get it done you pretty much have Bolsinger in Buffalo as an internal option. I expect the Jays to look at some vets for AAA/ST invites.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Something in the Yelich/Marte tier? That's at least what I'd be targeting.

Assuming SRF starts at New Hampshire next season, he'll probably be ready midseason 2018 (shutdown fall 2017 because of innings limit). Greene, he's a pretty polarizing prospect but assuming all goes well he could be a September 2017 option for the pen and be a #5 or AAA depth in 2018. If the main MLB guys don't get it done you pretty much have Bolsinger in Buffalo as an internal option. I expect the Jays to look at some vets for AAA/ST invites.

So, moving Stroman isn't really an option. I guess having the best starting pitching depth is an advantage that would be counter productive to give up. Especially when there is talent on the free agent market to bolster the outfield.

Ideally, for me anyways, they re-sign Edwin and then sign Fowler and Reddick. I think they'd be an improved team going into next year and should win the division. Oh, if there's room, get Chapman. I want that man in the pen so badly on this team but I understand overspending on the pen isn't usually a smart idea.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The one interesting thing of note I took from the interview with EE' agent today was that he said he only has a limited amount of teams he's be interested in joining. The question is how limited. Said winning and comfort were key and emphasized he's a low key guy. I feel as though maybe he doesn't have interest in a team like the yanks or red Sox. Obviously an assumption on my part. I'm sure you could remove the rangers from the list at the very least.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Don't think it was mentioned here, but it was reported on the radio earlier this afternoon that Seattle is showing interest in Cecil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad