Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCarriere

From the last thread...

"That was Dirk Hayhurst. He strikes me as a guy who loves the sound of his own voice and spews b.s. as a result.

I heard it live and all I could do was shake my head. A move like that would just set the franchise back years and destroy whatever goodwill's been built up the last season and a half."

It wouldn't set them back "years". They traded peanuts for Donaldson. They could potentially move him now for a great return if they do their homeowork.

It really depends on how confident the FO is in their ability to resign Donaldson after this year. I'm sure he's going to get around 150M+ (6*25M), and probably not from the Jays, so people need to understand he's probably going to be gone after next year as well.

It's really worth considering moving him if you can get some A+ prospects for him. Chances are he's gone in a year.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
From the last thread...

"That was Dirk Hayhurst. He strikes me as a guy who loves the sound of his own voice and spews b.s. as a result.

I heard it live and all I could do was shake my head. A move like that would just set the franchise back years and destroy whatever goodwill's been built up the last season and a half."

It wouldn't set them back "years". They traded peanuts for Donaldson. They could potentially move him now for a great return if they do their homeowork.

It really depends on how confident the FO is in their ability to resign Donaldson after this year. I'm sure he's going to get around 150M+ (6*25M), and probably not from the Jays, so people need to understand he's probably going to be gone after next year as well.

It's really worth considering moving him if you can get some A+ prospects for him. Chances are he's gone in a year.

Why not from the Jays? Are we like Oakland or TB? Jays can pay him. It will be very upsetting if they trade him because they don't want to pay him.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Yeah I don't get why we wouldn't be able to sign him. Depending on what contracts we give out this off season we do have both Liriano and Estrada coming off the books next year. Pretty sure their combined salaries would cover his next contract. You'd still have a solid top 3 SP with Sanchez, Happ, Stroman. SRF may be ready to go by then in which case you just need one back end rotation guy.

I understand what Dirk's thinking is. Ask around and see what offers you can get. If someone blows you away then you consider it. But I'm pretty positive we can get a deal with JD done.

LaCarriere

Yeah I don't get why we wouldn't be able to sign him. Depending on what contracts we give out this off season we do have both Liriano and Estrada coming off the books next year. Pretty sure their combined salaries would cover his next contract. You'd still have a solid top 3 SP with Sanchez, Happ, Stroman. SRF may be ready to go by then in which case you just need one back end rotation guy.

I understand what Dirk's thinking is. Ask around and see what offers you can get. If someone blows you away then you consider it. But I'm pretty positive we can get a deal with JD done.

There's literally nothing to suggest the Jays are ready to sign somebody to a 150M+/6 year deal.

The problem with your analysis is that it's focusing on 1 year money. Yes, Liriano and Estrada make a combined ~25M/year, but they aren't signed to 6 years for 150M+, and that's not how baseball executives look at deals. I see this all the time here, especially last year when people were crunching numbers on how the Jays could sign/retain Price... but that's not how things work. 25M on 2 players over 1 year is far from the same as 150M on 1 player over 6.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

You could also consider some other farm hands as well. Greene may be ready. Maybe even someone like Shane Dawson or Jon Harris will be ready. You are talking about a number 4 and 5 right, not a top 3. Any of those guys may be ready by that time. Not to mention you can probably find some good stop gaps in FA as well for cheap.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Donaldson said he would be interested in getting Canadian citizenship in order to play at 2020 Summer Olympics so I'm sure if the Jays pay him what he wants/deserves he'll resign. I think he really enjoys playing here, and we're long past the era where high profile American athletes didn't want to live in Canada long term.

Also, are the Jay's going to fill their holes through free agency or possibly through trade too? Atlanta sucks and isn't going anywhere anytime soon so maybe they could be persuaded to part with Freddie Freeman for a Donaldson-to-Toronto-like deal...

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I think with donaldson discussion it really comes down to if he is willing to resign to a good long term contract that is good for both parties.

If at the end of the off season you look and both EE and JB are gone, and you've done your retool you go and see how you do in the new year and if donaldson is happy.

If he isnt willing to negotiate a new deal before the trade deadline, and doesnt express legitimate interest in coming back long term, you see what the market is like.

He would get a kings ransom. If he is going to leave the team anyways in FA, might as well get some great assets.

LaCarriere

Donaldson said he would be interested in getting Canadian citizenship in order to play at 2020 Summer Olympics so I'm sure if the Jays pay him what he wants/deserves he'll resign. I think he really enjoys playing here, and we're long past the era where high profile American athletes didn't want to live in Canada long term.

Also, are the Jay's going to fill their holes through free agency or possibly through trade too? Atlanta sucks and isn't going anywhere anytime soon so maybe they could be persuaded to part with Freddie Freeman for a Donaldson-to-Toronto-like deal...

The thing is 25*6 is probably on the low end. 30-32M * 7 is a real possibility, and the Jays aren't spending 200-210M+ on 1 player, it's just not happening. The biggest reason I say this is there is more than likely a team like the Red Sox like last year (with Price) that will be willing to outbid the Jays by a stupid margin just to have him... and there's a good chance it's the Red Sox again or the Yankees.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The thing is 25*6 is probably on the low end. 30-32M * 7 is a real possibility, and the Jays aren't spending 200-210M+ on 1 player, it's just not happening. The biggest reason I say this is there is more than likely a team like the Red Sox like last year (with Price) that will be willing to outbid the Jays by a stupid margin just to have him... and there's a good chance it's the Red Sox again or the Yankees.

Why would it not happen? If there were a player that the Jays would spend 200m on, it would be Donaldson. Red Sox also have Moncada and Devers in the pipelines for 3B, doubt they'll look to fill that hole in free agency.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Could Votto be effective until the end of his contract? That's the 100 million dollar question, I assume.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
When are the Jay's going to step up financially like the other big boys in the league....TEX ANA LAD NYY BOS NYM CHC PHI???

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Could Votto be effective until the end of his contract? That's the 100 million dollar question, I assume.

I think his style would lead him to be an above average player for the extent of the contract.

I would fully expect to get 2-3 years of MVP caliber play from him, and then a nice settle into a reliable every day first baseman.

His style of contact, good defense, with a sprinkling of power holds up over time. This isn't a prince fielder etc who just hits dingers.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
Donaldson should retire as a Jay. Trading him would be like when we traded Sundin

I agree, Donaldson should retire a Blue Jay, but if they don't step up this off season, and make a splash, I don't see Donaldson wanting to stay. He can get his money anywhere he wants, and like most top players, they want to play for a winner. Have a gut feeling, that is why Oakland traded him off to the Jays. He probably didn't want to be part of a re-build, so in a twisted way, Beane sent him off to baseball purgatory, which at the time, Toronto was considered to be.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I agree, Donaldson should retire a Blue Jay, but if they don't step up this off season, and make a splash, I don't see Donaldson wanting to stay. He can get his money anywhere he wants, and like most top players, they want to play for a winner. Have a gut feeling, that is why Oakland traded him off to the Jays. He probably didn't want to be part of a re-build, so in a twisted way, Beane sent him off to baseball purgatory, which at the time, Toronto was considered to be.

Our pitching alone makes us a threat again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad