Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Dickey to Atlanta. I figured he might sign there if he wanted to continue pitching.

Thank you for everything, R.A.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I don't wanna look stupid :sarcasm:

With his heavy contract and age, I don't think you could. Interested to see what armchair GM's would give up for him.

Also wish R A Dickey the best, he was an inning eater, frustrating sometimes but a good 5th starter and veteran presence at this point.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Paul Kinzer, the head of REP1 Baseball & agent for Edwin Encarnacion, talks to The Jeff Blair Show about the status of his client’s negotiations with the Toronto Blue Jays for a new contract, EE’s ability to be an everyday first baseman, what Encarnacion is looking for outside of the financials, if the free agency class next year plays into how team’s are dealing with the current players available, if he’s surprised by which teams have & have not called, and when he expects a deal to be made.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-4/Paul-Kinzer-with-Jeff-Blair-jb-20161110-Interview.mp3

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Dickey to Atlanta. I figured he might sign there if he wanted to continue pitching.

Thank you for everything, R.A.

Makes sense. A team developing its young players and rebuilding brings in a veteran 200-innings guy. Not sure how much value he would have as a trade asset towards the end of the season.

I always liked Dickey, but over the last year, the complications with having him on the roster - the unpredictability of his pitch, the inability to use him in the bullpen in the post season and the need to carry Thole - made it clear it was time to move on.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bautista feels like he has unfinished business, hmmmm, is that code for I am not as wanted as I thought I would be?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-bautista-feels-like-unfinished-business-blue-jays/

It's his agent doing what they do - saying how much he loves the city, unfinished business etc etc And it may all be true, but it gives them out if JB gets a good offer ("Well he wanted to stay but.....") or it gives them an in if he doesn't get much interest ("JB's desire was to always stay in Toronto").

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
It's his agent doing what they do - saying how much he loves the city, unfinished business etc etc And it may all be true, but it gives them out if JB gets a good offer ("Well he wanted to stay but.....") or it gives them an in if he doesn't get much interest ("JB's desire was to always stay in Toronto").

Agreed, he just wants a bidding war.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
All the best RA, good luck in ATL!

This now makes Thole officially useless to us and with Jimenez being added to 40-man roster to potentially backup Martin next year, things are definitely lining up nicely.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Good move... 8 million for a 5th starter likely to throw 200 + innings. If they fall out of the playoff picture, they may even move him at the deadline for a good prospect to a team desperate for starting pitching.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
He was bad in the outfield. And he's only going to get worse. He doesn't get a pass from crtiticism just because he's been good in the past and has been popular.

Haha, my 9 month old Lab keeps staring at your little Mega man walking across the screen. I couldn't figure out why the hell she was looking so anxious and looking at my screen. I mean she barks at herself in reflections so she isn't all that bright but no barking this time, only a concerned look.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

one industry source believes strongly the all-star first baseman/dh will end up with the houston astros, who have a talented young core and money to spend to augment it, while another still expects him to re-sign with the blue jays in the end.

one ideal option is free agent dexter fowler, a top-of-the-order switch-hitter who brings speed, on-base capability and a sound hitting approach to the table. even though he’d need to move from centre to one of the outfield corners because defensive stalwart kevin pillar isn’t going anywhere, it’s believed there may be a potential fit there.

He’s coveted and won’t be cheap, and the cubs did extend fowler a qualifying offer, but the blue jays won’t be deterred by draft-pick compensation for the right player. Right now they hold the 24th overall pick in 2017 and while that should move up once qualified free agents sign, they won’t drop too many spots if they end up with compensatory draft choices for encarnacion and/or bautista.

alternatively, someone like jon jay brings similar elements to the table and the blue jays are believed to have some level of interest in him, but exactly how much at this point is unclear.

more things will come into focus monday evening, once the 5 p.m. Et deadline for free agents to decide on qualifying offers passes. though there’s some speculation about whether bautista might take the $17.2 million over one year, don’t hold your breath on that one, as it’s believed he’ll get a better multiyear deal on the open market.

The blue jays, however, may want certainty on that front before aggressively engaging with others.

One thing that appears to be firmly off the table is the possibility of flipping a starting pitcher for a position player.
the blue jays have the luxury of controlling five quality starters for 2017 – even after r.a. Dickey put off retirement for a one-year deal plus an option from atlanta – and there’s little sense in subtracting from that area in a pitching-starved market.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
If EE, one of the prize possessions in the FA market already deciding? Has to be back to the Jays. It's only been 3-4-5 days into FAgency.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If EE, one of the prize possessions in the FA market already deciding? Has to be back to the Jays. It's only been 3-4-5 days into FAgency.

Or someone else has blown him away and come close enough to his ask that he's willing to get it done quickly.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Heard on the Fan that Houston doesn't want to go more than 3 years for EE, and that Dombrowski doesn't want to give a long-term deal to his DH (Hanley seems to have 1B locked up long term).

I'm guessing that the Jays would be willing to go as long as 4 if the dollars are reasonable (20-ish per).

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Sign:

1B Edwin Encarnacion ($23M)
RF Josh Reddick ($11M)
DH Kendrys Morales ($13M)
LF Yoenis Cespedes ($25M)
RP Mark Melancon ($13M)

Batting order:

2B Devon Travis ($2M)
3B Josh Donaldson ($17M)
1B Edwin Encarnacion ($23M)
LF Yoenis Cespedes ($25M)
DH Kendrys Morales ($13M)
SS Troy Tulowitzki ($20M)
RF Josh Reddick ($11M)
C Russell Martin ($20M)
CF Kevin Pillar ($3M)

Reserves:

IF Darwin Barney ($1M)
1B Justin Smoak ($4M)
OF Ezequiel Carrera ($1M)
OF Melvin Upton Jr. ($5M)

Pitchers:

Marcus Stroman
Aaron Sanchez
J.A. Happ
Marco Estrada
Francisco Liriano

Roberto Osuna (CL)
Mark Melancon
Jason Grilli
Joe Biagini
Danny Barnes
Scott Feldman

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Heard on the Fan that Houston doesn't want to go more than 3 years for EE, and that Dombrowski doesn't want to give a long-term deal to his DH (Hanley seems to have 1B locked up long term).

I'm guessing that the Jays would be willing to go as long as 4 if the dollars are reasonable (20-ish per).

I hope that's true. I'd happily go 4x25 for Edwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad