Post-Game Talk: ... And a Happy New Year? Jets lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
^ So if they finish strong over the last 10 games in garbage time vs teams with nothing to play for again.... all good?

EhlersPLDConnor

Mar 25, 2012
Winnipeg
^ So if they finish strong over the last 10 games in garbage time vs teams with nothing to play for again.... all good?

Man did Scheifele play well in those garbage times.. Can someone tell him the whole NHL season is garbage time? Wheeler plays well (or at least brings the effort) in most Jets games so I won't blast him when he puts up numbers in garbage time. But Scheifele? I'm not seeing much effort from him this season (If he's injured, then get out of the ice already). At 23 Crosby has already led his team to a cup, and Scheifele can't even lead his line to a good 20 minutes of hockey :shakehead

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We are young. Young players that are adjusting to a league where they, for the first time in their lives, have to give full effort every night and every shift to have a positive impact on the game. That doesn't often happen over night.

What about those who aren't rookies that are supposed to be setting the example for the rookies? Buff nonchalant puck retrieval technique? Enstroms constant hooking and interfering? I could go on and on.

I didn't expect much until I saw what they where capable of. If they simply played hard with urgency, I would honestly be happy. It's the laziness that I take issue with. I know that our d can skate faster to beat forecheckers to the puck. I know we can keep skating instead of coasting and taking a penalty.

I'm really running out of patience for excuses.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What about those who aren't rookies that are supposed to be setting the example for the rookies? Buff nonchalant puck retrieval technique? Enstroms constant hooking and interfering? I could go on and on.

I didn't expect much until I saw what they where capable of. If they simply played hard with urgency, I would honestly be happy. It's the laziness that I take issue with. I know that our d can skate faster to beat forecheckers to the puck. I know we can keep skating instead of coasting and taking a penalty.

I'm really running out of patience for excuses.

please do, everyone else is

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Man did Scheifele play well in those garbage times.. Can someone tell him the whole NHL season is garbage time? Wheeler plays well (or at least brings the effort) in most Jets games so I won't blast him when he puts up numbers in garbage time. But Scheifele? I'm not seeing much effort from him this season (If he's injured, then get out of the ice already). At 23 Crosby has already led his team to a cup, and Scheifele can't even lead his line to a good 20 minutes of hockey :shakehead

And your mad at a player because he hasn't lived up to Crosby? He is 23 y/o playing with a 18 and 20 y/o both of which are offensive stars in the making but don't exactly catch the world on fire with their defensive assignments. He is mostly matched against the other team's top centers having to constantly help a shaky defense with down low support while maintaining a 75 point pace. He is top 20 in the league for 5-5 P/60. And doing it with a nagging hamstring. Agreed time to remove that type of **** from the team.

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
@folix: well said. I think the systems need to be simplified, and we need to rely more on our talent to execute those systems. We're a mess in the defensive zone, IMO, and it's not due to lack of talent.

Totally agree. We play best when we allow our talent to play as opposed to thinking too much.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Right now the Jets #1 problem is very weak goaltending , when one of our goaltenders plays good we are mostly winning , but that is not often enough . These weak goals are killing us , the Jets get momentum score a goal and then it seems like the all the other team needs to do is get a puck somewhere on net and it's going in . I think it's getting very deflating to the team , possibly because we are a young team but something has to happen with the goaltending or we are going no where .

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
I don't know if you've already talked about this but the reason Enstrom went to Sweden for "personal reasons" is probably that his wife got diagnosed with cancer. :(

Edit: oh apparently there is a thread about this.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I have been disappointed with Scheifele for most of the season. He could be invisible for most of the game, make 1 good play and score a point, and all's good.

Wheeler on the other hand has been far more impressive as he's actually driving the play all the time and makes things happen even when he doesn't score.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Having four guys consistently below the hash marks while the opposition blasts our goalies from the slot screams coaching not effort or youth.

We have problems systematically and struggle consistently with the same things with different personal.

I saw multiple occasions where our 4the line has been matched up against teams 1St line despite being at home and supposed to be able to control the matchup.

Sitting goalies after an incredible game to get the other guy in there who played good two weeks ago is simply an atrocity at the coaching level.

Guys unsure who is there man in the D zone once a break down occurs and we sit there watching is coaching, I don't see other teams having their dman chasing the puck carrier up to the point and around the far side, it weakens you horribly because you now have forwards playing down low and out of their element.

Teams know this and we see our defence consistently pulled out of position while a winger desperately tries to figure out what to do about his guy in the slot and the guy with the puck driving to the net.

It's a rinse repeat every game. It's awful and I'm shocked with a simple bit of self scouting they haven't fixed it.

@folix: well said. I think the systems need to be simplified, and we need to rely more on our talent to execute those systems. We're a mess in the defensive zone, IMO, and it's not due to lack of talent.

Yes!

Our biggest problem in our zone is lack of structure. Unfortunately when one of your leaders refuses to follow that system in our zone, how do you expect others to want to follow it. Also, when that leader plays a good part of the game he's probably going to be screwing with those systems for a good majority of the game.

Either there is no coherent system, or the coaches are allowing this player to continue to play that way. Either way, that is on the coaches at this point.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Yes!

Our biggest problem in our zone is lack of structure. Unfortunately when one of your leaders refuses to follow that system in our zone, how do you expect others to want to follow it. Also, when that leader plays a good part of the game he's probably going to be screwing with those systems for a good majority of the game.

Either there is no coherent system, or the coaches are allowing this player to continue to play that way. Either way, that is on the coaches at this point.

And the result of this disjointed system is we give up the 5th fewest scoring chances per 60 minutes at 5v5 in the league.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
And the result of this disjointed system is we give up the 5th fewest scoring chances per 60 minutes at 5v5 in the league.

According to?

Who is measuring the quality of these scoring chances? How proven is the methodology?

Remember when we all loved +/-

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
According to?

Who is measuring the quality of these scoring chances? How proven is the methodology?

Remember when we all loved +/-

Corsica Hockey....binned shot shot data....i'm not here to prove anything thanks, just to provide information where it seems to be lacking.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
LOL well thanks for that.

I'm not here to argue fancystats, thats for sure :laugh:

yeah me neither...but they're there to see and interesting to poke around in

apparently my new year resolution was to talk people off ledges....i am growing very weary of it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
yeah me neither...but they're there to see and interesting to poke around in

apparently my new year resolution was to talk people off ledges....i am growing very weary of it.

LMAO you will kill yourself doing that here.

I get really emotional when the Jets lay an egg. I've been staying off the boards for 24 hours at least after a loss :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad