Post-Game Talk: ... And a Happy New Year? Jets lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I hate to agree, because I like PoMo. But it's sure looking more and more like this is the case.

I like PoMo too.

Everyone I talk to likes PoMo.

I wonder if we're all wearing rose colored glasses at this point or if he just needs the team to grow.

Either way, something has to change after that effort.

So ****ing typical too.......beat the beast of the West on the road......lose to one of the last place teams in the East at home.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I like PoMo too.

Everyone I talk to likes PoMo.

I wonder if we're all wearing rose colored glasses at this point or if he just needs the team to grow.

Either way, something has to change after that effort.

So ****ing typical too.......beat the beast of the West on the road......lose to one of the last place teams in the East at home.

Have you ever thought maybe the Blackhawks play their worst games against the Jets?

Why are people upset? The Jets hired a .500 career coach and that's what their record shows.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Have you ever thought maybe the Blackhawks play their worst games against the Jets?

Why are people upset? The Jets hired a .500 career coach and that's what their record shows.

You could say the Blackhawks play bad against us. I don't watch the Blackhawks enough to know if that's the case. I watch a lot of the Jets though, and you can see that their all around game is better against the Hawks.

As for why are people upset after we hired a .500 coach; you don't hire a .500 coach with the expectation that they will keep up that record.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't understand what's changed since the beginning of the year. We went in with a very young team and seemingly everyone had low expectations as we went through growing pains.

Fast-forward three months and everything has unfolded as expected (maybe better, considering injuries) and we're calling for everyone's head.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't understand what's changed since the beginning of the year. We went in with a very young team and seemingly everyone had low expectations as we went through growing pains.

Fast-forward three months and everything has unfolded as expected (maybe better, considering injuries) and we're calling for everyone's head.

We are playing progressively worse with lighter schedule, healthier roster.
I think that most expected signs of progress yet we are showing a trend that is very troubling.
This team is under achieving with no apparent direction anymore.
This fan base has been more than patient.
Talk is cheap , some are tuning out as would be expected.
I had hoped we would show growth but it's simply not manifesting itself.
If changes aren't made soon you can kiss next year off as well.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There is an issue somewhere. Either the players aren't being motivated to play as they should or they haven't been taught at all. Either way I think they need someone to kick their collective *****.

They have the ability because it's on display occasionally. Why do they take partial or complete games off? Why do they take lazy hooking grabbing penalties? Why are they sometime completely without urgency or will to compete?

I simply don't get it. I think there is a need for someone tough to stop coddling them. You're professional athletes, enough of the excuses and work.

They need a new tough coach who plays the best performers and doesn't allow this type of half assed effort.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...

I can only speak for myself. I still don't expect the Jets to be a playoff team, but I do expect a team that comes out to play every night. I expect a team that is well coached, plays systematically. That learns from past mistakes and stops taking dumb penalties ad nauseum.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
We are playing progressively worse with lighter schedule, healthier roster.
I think that most expected signs of progress yet we are showing a trend that is very troubling.
This team is under achieving with no apparent direction anymore.
This fan base has been more than patient.
Talk is cheap , some are tuning out as would be expected.
I had hoped we would show growth but it's simply not manifesting itself.
If changes aren't made soon you can kiss next year off as well.

That's a very subjective point of view.

Objectively, over the past 8 weeks, going back to the 8-2 win over Dallas, we have:

Won 4 of 5
Lost 5 straight
Won 4 of 5
Lost 4 straight
Won 4 of 5
Lost last 2

Seems pretty inconsistent and perfectly in line with what was predicted by most in the preseason. In my view, we have been getting better over the past month or so and xG data seems to agree.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I can only speak for myself. I still don't expect the Jets to be a playoff team, but I do expect a team that comes out to play every night. I expect a team that is well coached, plays systematically. That learns from past mistakes and stops taking dumb penalties ad nauseum.

Well you don't expect them to be a playoff team, just to play exactly like one.:laugh:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
There is an issue somewhere. Either the players aren't being motivated to play as they should or they haven't been taught at all. Either way I think they need someone to kick their collective *****.

They have the ability because it's on display occasionally. Why do they take partial or complete games off? Why do they take lazy hooking grabbing penalties? Why are they sometime completely without urgency or will to compete?

I simply don't get it. I think there is a need for someone tough to stop coddling them. You're professional athletes, enough of the excuses and work.

They need a new tough coach who plays the best performers and doesn't allow this type of half assed effort.

We are young. Young players that are adjusting to a league where they, for the first time in their lives, have to give full effort every night and every shift to have a positive impact on the game. That doesn't often happen over night.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

It is much easier to objectively claim something before it happens, but much more difficult to watch it unfold when you hope for something more.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Well you don't expect them to be a playoff team, just to play exactly like one.:laugh:

No. A playoff team would capitalize on their chances. Have a killer instinct when an opponent is down. Know how to finish games. We don't have this due to our youth.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a good effort and good coaching. And not continuously being one of the most penalized teams. Cleaning this up doesn't make them a playoff team, as you imply.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
No. A playoff team would capitalize on their chances. Have a killer instinct when an opponent is down. Know how to finish games. We don't have this due to our youth.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a good effort and good coaching. And not continuously being one of the most penalized teams. Cleaning this up doesn't make them a playoff team, as you imply.

I think it does.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Having four guys consistently below the hash marks while the opposition blasts our goalies from the slot screams coaching not effort or youth.

We have problems systematically and struggle consistently with the same things with different personal.

I saw multiple occasions where our 4the line has been matched up against teams 1St line despite being at home and supposed to be able to control the matchup.

Sitting goalies after an incredible game to get the other guy in there who played good two weeks ago is simply an atrocity at the coaching level.

Guys unsure who is there man in the D zone once a break down occurs and we sit there watching is coaching, I don't see other teams having their dman chasing the puck carrier up to the point and around the far side, it weakens you horribly because you now have forwards playing down low and out of their element.

Teams know this and we see our defence consistently pulled out of position while a winger desperately tries to figure out what to do about his guy in the slot and the guy with the puck driving to the net.

It's a rinse repeat every game. It's awful and I'm shocked with a simple bit of self scouting they haven't fixed it.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@folix: well said. I think the systems need to be simplified, and we need to rely more on our talent to execute those systems. We're a mess in the defensive zone, IMO, and it's not due to lack of talent.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Having four guys consistently below the hash marks while the opposition blasts our goalies from the slot screams coaching not effort or youth.

We have problems systematically and struggle consistently with the same things with different personal.

I saw multiple occasions where our 4the line has been matched up against teams 1St line despite being at home and supposed to be able to control the matchup.

Sitting goalies after an incredible game to get the other guy in there who played good two weeks ago is simply an atrocity at the coaching level.

Guys unsure who is there man in the D zone once a break down occurs and we sit there watching is coaching, I don't see other teams having their dman chasing the puck carrier up to the point and around the far side, it weakens you horribly because you now have forwards playing down low and out of their element.

Teams know this and we see our defence consistently pulled out of position while a winger desperately tries to figure out what to do about his guy in the slot and the guy with the puck driving to the net.

It's a rinse repeat every game. It's awful and I'm shocked with a simple bit of self scouting they haven't fixed it.

Agreed

PMO while is a nice guy, he's not paid to be nice he's paid to win and he just ain't cutting it. Can't fire all the coaches now, no is available but this summer something needs to be done. PMO and all asst coaches fired.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
People around here seem to think we're having a systems problem in our own zone while empirical evidence suggests we're one of the best teams in the league in our own zone at 5v5.:dunno:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

That's a very subjective point of view.

Objectively, over the past 8 weeks, going back to the 8-2 win over Dallas, we have:

Won 4 of 5
Lost 5 straight
Won 4 of 5
Lost 4 straight
Won 4 of 5
Lost last 2

Seems pretty inconsistent and perfectly in line with what was predicted by most in the preseason. In my view, we have been getting better over the past month or so and xG data seems to agree.

We are young. Young players that are adjusting to a league where they, for the first time in their lives, have to give full effort every night and every shift to have a positive impact on the game. That doesn't often happen over night.

first off Gil good for you for drawing the short straw and having to take the "Nea" side of the off with their heads formal debate. :sarcasm:

To be 100% clear I don't think we are out of it yet this season although its getting close now. We are one good win streak away from being right back in the thick of a wild card race not because we are doing well but because I think the west sucks ass.

Secondly, I do not expect any team to play good every night in the NHL because it just doesn't happen. All teams have good and bad nights its just good teams have more of the former.

Thirdly, I do get that the injuries early were a factor.

So why have I lost some faith vs my baked in modest non playoff projection? I guess its hard to put it into words but let me try. Exhibit A) Last season the leafs blew it up, tore it down, and brought in Babcock to coach a rag tag group. Even though they finished dead last I really liked the way he had them playing. Night in night out he had a young team competing and playing with a solid structure...yes they had their off nights but for the most part it was the best I had seen the leafs look and compete in years but they just didn't have the horses. Leafs use to always look so sloppy and lazy under Kitty.

With the Jets we had our set backs (Trouba and injuries) but we also had the good surprises......Morrissey playing in the top pairing and looking solid and Laine showing up and despite his challenges with possession he has been the best pure goal scorer in 2.0 history. The problem is more like the vibe I got under Carlyle but with our twist. We have solid talent but we still have zero discipline? We can't stay out of the box and our goalies can't really stop the puck 4v5 but despite this we keep hanging them out to dry. I can't put my finger on it but we feel exactly like some of those teams that hit their glass ceiling and needed a new coach (LA 2011, Pitt 2016, St Louis 2011, Minny 2016, Toronto 2015). I feel like there is something missing right now that is more than I bargained for at the beginning of the year. Feels like even with allot of change we have the same identity....sloppy, undisciplined, terrible at special team, below average goal-tending (last one being squarely on Chevy).

Not sure if any of that makes sense it is more that I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. If we don't make the playoffs this year or next year then we have missed the Wheeler, Buff, Little, Enstrom Window as far as them being part of a run. The thing is I don't have faith PMo and crew can correct our fatal flaws and I don't have faith in Chevy to take action and fix our goaltending problems.

I am not saying this is case closed and there is no hope.....I am saying my concern is we are not progressing in the areas we need to get better at to have any hope of being a contender one day. We may need a new approach (voice) to fix our identity.

Yes getting humiliated at home twice in a row heightens my angst but the underlying unsolved issues have been pissing me off for the past 8 weeks even when we are winning. Hopefully I am dead wrong and this is all part of building towards something special.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
For the record, I am still firmly in wait-and-see mode. I'm trying hard not to get caught up in the wins and losses. If things aren't solidly trending up by the end of the year, I'll likely sing a different song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad