Post-Game Talk: ... And a Happy New Year? Jets lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't think the players are the problem - I think this is one of the most talented (if young) line-ups we've ever iced.

So that leaves the obvious as the problem.

If seen these games before and that game against the Islanders was a game that gets coaches fired. No emotion, no drive, no nothing...

But, IMO, Maurice is going no where.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Now I know it's a new year and we should all start it off as positive as we can. But no way should anyone think that a team that allowed 6 goals didn't play bad.

I think if teams switched tendies the outcome is different. Greiis stopped all chances controlled rebounds, then they come down and score on one shot. Am I the only one who thought we outplayed them the first two periods? I know people are frustrated but we lost cause our goalie had a brutal outing. The third was bad, with with a good goalie tonight first two periods were fine.
Edit: and I know we can play better and with more emotion and could've won more battles on 50-50 pucks but we weren't awful thru 40, minus helly.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think the players are the problem - I think this is one of the most talented (if young) line-ups we've ever iced.

Its painful for me to admit it because I really want Paul Maurice to succeed here. I think he is a quality person and a smart coach but right now this team is not responding to him.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Its painful for me to admit it because I really want Paul Maurice to succeed here. I think he is a quality person and a smart coach but right now this team is not responding to him.

Ya, I like him too, but it's our vets letting us down sadly.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well I don't think 2017 can possibly get much worse.

There are so many issues: one they seem completely devoid of an identity or there is not full buy in, the goaltending seems suck the confidence out of this team on nights like last night.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I agree. But if he is here for the foreseeable then I think you make a trade. Quite a few guys still here from the Noel firing and it makes you wonder.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Well I don't think 2017 can possibly get much worse.

There are so many issues: one they seem completely devoid of an identity or there is not full buy in, the goaltending seems suck the confidence out of this team on nights like last night.

We won the #2 pick in the 2016 draft. Yes it can get worse. Lol

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems to me that if TNSE was just on it for the money, regular playoff appearances would be the goal. Players get paid the same whether they golfing during the playoffs or putting fans in seats. Playoffs are pure profit. I'm sure TNSE wants deep playoff runs as much as anyone. I understand the frustration, I'm upset too -- I want the Jets to be contenders NOW. But let's remember that pretty much no one was predicting playoffs for this club this season. So they're actually performing as expected. I think they'll be a lot better next year. I'm slightly worried about goaltending though.

But it is a lot easy saying this in the off season then to watch it actually play out. Probably what has caught me the most off guard is how bad our goaltending has been. I was expecting some uneven play but for Helly to take more control. My concern has ebbed and flowed this season but is very high right now. We are currently getting below Pavelec level goaltending. Our SV% for the year is .904% Vs. Pav's career average of .907%. I also didn't expect Good #1 D Buff to revert to Bad Rover Buff. With the amount of ice time he gets we are a gong show in our own end without the required goaltending to shut the gates. I'm not laying it on Buff, just that I see him as the barometer for the team. And IMO if Maurice has lost Buff he has lost the room.

So is it time for a shake up? And where do you start? I think Maurice still gets the season so I'd love to see Chevy really make a big shake up move.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
That was a wet fart. And I called it. We'll lose the next game, then win 4 of 5. I see the trend.

BTW, DTM xG has us a top 12 team at 5v5 (maybe top 10, I eyeballed it).

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I missed the coaches post game...what was the excuse of the day? Too much anticipation of the new year?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think it's coaching and young goaltending.

Yes, I'd agree. I'm getting more and more concerned about Maurice and his staff. I have concerns about goaltending as well, but I'll give Helle the benefit of being young. Hutch: I think we're starting to see who he is as as goalie.

Coaching/systems
Goalies
Players

That's the order I put it in. Fix the systems / create systems that work with the speed and offensive talent available at forward and defense, and the incredibly bad (but sporadic) breakdowns should be minimized. Maximize scoring. Then get someone to properly backup Helle as he figures things out, or we figure out what we have in him. I still see potential there, but there's not enough support for him from either the systems or his backup.

I do like him. He did manage to get the team to respond very positively and play a simple game when he first arrived. It's beginning to look like he can't put a system together that benefits the talent that we have (and I truly believe that we currently have the most offensively talented and IQ laden roster we've ever had, which is what is making me grumpy about the systems and coaching).

The fans? ;)

Well, maybe some of us. ;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ffs halak was available for free yesterday.

What was management thinking?

I was leaning wanting the Jets to claim him, but I wouldn't call a $4.5 cap hit free. You'd be freeing up a lot of money and cap space for NYI and that should get you a bit of a sweetener.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
is there a TSN 1290 podcast or link to the postgame fan talk from the game last night? probably was entertaining as hell

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I really want to believe this, and you are very likely right Gin. HOWEVER

All of us here have been clamouring forever for certain things to happen:

Kane gone
Pavelec gone
Stu gone
Thor gone

Young guys getting minutes and roles

Yet when all of this stuff happens and we still have the same damned results I think you have to start looking at the other pieces - the players that have remained all through this mediocrity.

I'm not starting a Buff rant here - I am so done with that, but if your leaders show up whenever they feel like it, put efforts into areas of the ice that they want to, and play in a selfish manner (whomever they are, I've seen more than Buff play that way) then you are instilling a culture of laziness and selfishness. Winning teams sacrifice. They do the dirty, ****** jobs on the ice (which for many includes all of that defensive, gritty, attention to detail and effort in your own zone.)

The team talks about what a good vibe the dressing room has. I don't give a **** about the dressing room vibe. Put your work in EVERY DAY. That is what you are paid for very handsomely. Know what your job is, your role on the team, and bust your ass to do it to the best of your ability.

Sure, goaltending and coaching are big components of success, but if you look at a team like Minnesota, they have ALWAYS been competitive. They have had up and down goaltending. They have lacked talent and depth. BUT they have never lacked that work ethic and attention to detail you MUST have if you are going to win.

I can't blame Wheeler for looking like **** lately. He kills himself every game whilst others treat it like a country club. Sure he's the captain but you can only say so much to your teammates. It's time for the other 'leaders' on this team to either man the **** up or gtfo.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
A few not so positive thoughts to end the calendar year:

I have little reason to believe that things will simply get better with the passage of time, as many hopefully suggest. Nor do I take much comfort from those who suggest we "outplay" other teams for brief periods of the game, or even entire games and lack only better goaltending. The harsh reality is that the Jets look terribly disorganized and/or individualistic in all three zones, and play at a pace well below their optimal as a consequence.

They have major problems as a team in trying to stop the opponent from entering their zone with possession and setting up an attack;they have coverage problems in their own end, especially with the opponent entering the zone on a delayed basis; they have breakout problems when under forecheck pressure; they do not appear to have any neutral zone strategy other than full puck reversal and regroup; they do not have any obvious prepared plays to enter the opponent s zone with possession, and an inexplicable preference to give up possession and just dump and chase far too frequently; they have no discernible forecheck system ( maybe 2-2-1) ; and worst of all from an offensive viewpoint, they appear to be in the dark ages when it comes to playing as an effective five-man unit in the offensive zone ( having a defenceman pinch and maybe carry the puck up the boards or behind the net, with a forward taking up his point position,being the only evidence of any such strategy). To make matters worse (much worse) they have a PP that is not only unproductive but for the most part unable to even gain the opponents zone and setup! Very not good.

And what do Maurice and Buff continue to emphasize in the post game pressers? We have to SIMPLIFY, we have to dump it in and OUTWORK the opponent : we have to stick together and everything will be OK.!! If this is the message talked about in the Room and perhaps emphasized in the on ice practices we now have, well......... .

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
What a crappy, uninspired effort. They Stopped SKATING. Consistently got beat to the puck. Horrible defensive play in our end. Other than Perreault, Matthias and Ehlers, the rest of the team didn't show up.
What's wrong with Scheif? I would like to see Little moved up and take his spot.

The first 4 years, the Jets 2.0 were at least entertaining. But last year and this year there have been a lot of games that I just could not finish. When the Jets are off their game, they're just horrible to watch. If the TNSE can't put an entertaining product consistently out on the ice, they risk losing the passion and interest from their fans. Apathy on the ice will translate to apathy at the box office.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If you were told in the summer that this is the exact roster we would be icing. Who would of asked for anything different? This is the team we wanted and they're no good. But they're young and will get better.

Exact roster we wanted with a coach that doesn't seem to have a clue. Maurice's time to start producing is getting limited. If not him, someone else in management because the time for cosmetic changes is over.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
So..........where do we go from here?

I was hoping to wake up today to a firing or a trade or a demotion. Nope. I guess we will continue to hope they turn it around somehow against all logic.

So frustrating to be a hockey fan. If I put that team together myself and got that on NYE in front of a national audience, heads would be rolling I tell ya...that's how most professional environments work

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Good question. After a game like last night's, there seems to be so many things that need fixing.
The power play
The penalty kill
Break outs from the D Zone
Carrying the puck into the O Zone
Gap control on D
Effective Forechecking strategy
Goalie's rebound control
Goalie's puck handling
Making crisp clean passes

It's just so overwhelming.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Good question. After a game like last night's, there seems to be so many things that need fixing.
The power play
The penalty kill
Break outs from the D Zone
Carrying the puck into the O Zone
Gap control on D
Effective Forechecking strategy
Goalie's rebound control
Goalie's puck handling
Making crisp clean passes

It's just so overwhelming.

To me, that's when a coach gets fired.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The Jets problem is not a cap crunch due to bad contracts. It has been an overemphasis on "gritty vets", but we can't blame them or Pavs this season.

I think that beyond injuries, the three main issues this season are...

1) Poor goaltending. Hellebuyck hasn't yet met the challenge and Hutch doesn't look good enough.

2) Sub-par performance by key vets. Wheeler, Buff, Perreault and Enstrom were all better last season than this season. Scheifele has hit a lull since his injury, too.

3) Poor discipline and bad special teams.

Yup, those issues are real. But lets throw in a few coaches as well that have no friccken clue what they are doing or how to get anything out of this group. Great talent; disgusting results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad