GDT: Anaheim players at the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I absolutely love international tournaments, especially Olympics, but these gimmicky things are not my thing, especially when players can get hurt playing what is essentially NHL's money-grab and middle finger to the Olympics.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
So there is games today and the schedule I found online lists ESPN3, SN1, and TVAsports. I have the highest Directv package I'm pretty sure and those channels don't even exist. What am I missing here?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
So there is games today and the schedule I found online lists ESPN3, SN1, and TVAsports. I have the highest Directv package I'm pretty sure and those channels don't even exist. What am I missing here?

They're only exhibition games so don't expect much.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
A TV cable subscription is not required to watch the game on ESPN within USA. Use this link.

Thoughts so far: Silfverberg is playing well (particularly on the PK) and is noticeably chippy. Rakell has been unnoticeable and he probably has among the least amount of ice time among Sweden's forwards. Vatanen is rusty.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
A TV cable subscription is not required to watch the game on ESPN within USA. Use this link.

Thoughts so far: Silfverberg is playing well (particularly on the PK) and is noticeably chippy. Rakell has been unnoticeable and he probably has among the least amount of ice time among Sweden's forwards. Vatanen is rusty.

That link asks for a subscriber ID on my desktop.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Solid shift from Rakell. He looks like he did in Juniors - more of a two way presence in this game. Maybe this is the year that facet of his game catches up with the NHL.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Only real mistake from Rakell, that was noteworthy, was he needed to chip the puck out on the 2nd Finland goal.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Surprisingly entertaining game between Finland and Sweden, even if Finns hadn't won. Probably because I haven't seen much hockey since May and this rivalry always seem to get both teams going.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Surprisingly entertaining game between Finland and Sweden, even if Finns hadn't won. Probably because I haven't seen much hockey since May and this rivalry always seem to get both teams going.

I wouldn't feel very confident with Enroth after that game. Yuck.

Goaltending definitely seemed to be the difference.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Vatanen did a couple of good things, but some bad things too. Overall not a good game by him.

Silfverberg looked good, especially in the early going. Rakell was the other way around, was invisible for the first half of the game but stepped up in the 2nd half. Like Exit Dose wrote, he looked more like he did in juniors. On this team he'll probably have to settle for more of a grinders role.

Enroth is gonna be Sweden's third goalie, so I don't really care about his performance. But hey, good luck Toronto fans. Especially with Andersen potentially being out for some time :D

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
What are the rules for this tournament with respect to their rosters? Are they locked in once the tournament starts or can they call in subs if players get injured while the tournament is underway?

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Chris Chelios looks like an extra from the Walking Dead. Jebus, how does his wife look at that ugly mug every day?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm not watching the game, but that NA roster looks incredibly impressive. I wouldn't be too surprised to see them excel in this tournament.

manspaceman

Jan 16, 2014
First training match over. FIN-SWE 3-2 OT.

First period was ok, but then the pace slowed down. Lots of stupid penalties on both sides.

Silfverberg had a couple of good rushes and a couple of shots, but nothing more. Rakell had 0+1, he was ok. Ex-duck Hagelin is fast on skates. Wonder if Lindholm has a chance to play on next game (saturday).

Vatanen had an atrocious game. One own goal (unlucky, but anyway) bounced off his skate. Playing point on PP, but nothing there. Some weird drop passes on power play, wonder where he learned those... Lots of fumbling with the puck. Perhaps he'd spent his summer playing golf with Selanne. Or just doesn't care, since its not NHL, but a gimmicky tournament.

Good news, no injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad