GDT: Anaheim players at the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Same. Not sure why there's so much sour grapes about high level hockey mid-September.

It's because people like to complain about things (I do too sometimes). But they'll all be watching every single game of the tournament i guarantee it

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yep. Until the world cup is done like an actual world cup without gimmick teams like team North America, I can't take it seriously. The Olympics (and to a further extent the U-20 WJC) remains the best international tournament and unfortunately the NHL is doing its best to kill NHL involvement. The WHC is like a bigger NHL all star game where the rosters are set by nationality.

So why not wait until Bettman actually backs out of the Olympics to start the crying?

You'll have plenty of threads to do that in in 2018.

You guys are acting like the NHL has already said they won't allow the players to go to South Korea

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
It's because people like to complain about things (I do too sometimes). But they'll all be watching every single game of the tournament i guarantee it

Yep. For instance, I think the inclusion of a Team NA and Team Europe instead of 2 other countries is stupid and turns the whole thing into a gimmick and not a legitimate "World Cup."

But damn that NA team is going to be fun to watch and I can't wait to see how they do. :laugh:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yep. For instance, I think the inclusion of a Team NA and Team Europe instead of 2 other countries is stupid and turns the whole thing into a gimmick and not a legitimate "World Cup."

But damn that NA team is going to be fun to watch and I can't wait to see how they do. :laugh:

i agree It's kind of stupid to have a Team NA of under 23 players and not allow McDavid and Eichel types to be recruited onto Canada/USA. It gives Sweden and Russia a bit of an advantage over especially the US who doesn't have as much depth as Canada

But the Team Europe thing I don't have a problem with at all. The European countries that have proven they can hold their own and compete for medals are all still going to be there. And the smaller countries that have been getting trounced are getting combined into one team to make it less watered down and more competitive - not a huge deal.

I mean, I don't think anyone in their right mind can sit here and say Slovakia and Switzerland were going to earn a medal in this tournament when you have Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic, Team NA all competing in the tournament as well. So it might be a gimmick but I don't see what we're getting robbed of, unless you enjoy watching Canada/USA/Russia/Sweden beat teams 12-0 (which I don't)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Offseason has been so long, even i am looking forward to it now.

But i have to be honest, i hate that our players will play there. It will just wear them down, Getz, Perry and Kes i am looking at you

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Same. Not sure why there's so much sour grapes about high level hockey mid-September.

It's a gimmicky exhibition tournament serving the line purposes of the NHL trying to make a **** load of money and removing themselves from the Olympics. It's not even a best on best tournament, Canada and the U.S. aren't icing their best squads and they've eliminated any kind of national pride for the European side who are playing for no real cause other than competitiveness. Slovakia and Switzerland are capable hockey playing nations who have beaten many a good side in the past, ignoring them is not a good way to appeal to those fan bases.

We also have all of our top players except Fowler going which is going to lead to fatigue and inconsitency as the year goes on.

The whole thing is a joke. If you're going to put on a tournament of this magnitude do it properly.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
i agree It's kind of stupid to have a Team NA of under 23 players and not allow McDavid and Eichel types to be recruited onto Canada/USA. It gives Sweden and Russia a bit of an advantage over especially the US who doesn't have as much depth as Canada

But the Team Europe thing I don't have a problem with at all. The European countries that have proven they can hold their own and compete for medals are all still going to be there. And the smaller countries that have been getting trounced are getting combined into one team to make it less watered down and more competitive - not a huge deal.

I mean, I don't think anyone in their right mind can sit here and say Slovakia and Switzerland were going to earn a medal in this tournament when you have Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic, Team NA all competing in the tournament as well. So it might be a gimmick but I don't see what we're getting robbed of, unless you enjoy watching Canada/USA/Russia/Sweden beat teams 12-0 (which I don't)

It is a big deal. If they thought only 6 teams could compete, then they should have invited 6 teams. I don't know how much international sports you have been watching, but I can't think of a single sport where every participant is a medal contender.

And when you remove the worse teams you remove any chance of an upset. Maybe the U.S. shouldn't have been allowed to play in Lake Placid?

It's really annoying that so many north americans tend to think that we Europeans see ourselves as one big country. A Sweden-Finland team makes no more sense to us than a USA-Mexico team makes for you, in any international event.

And the last meaning of your post is nothing but an enormous exaggeration.

Last edited:

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
Drop the puck. Best vs. best always gets my engine running. And I'm starting to warm up now, from previously been more or less totally cut off from hockey, since the season ended. An Olympic or a Canada Cup/World Cup is the best the hockey world can deliver on a national stage. (I' don't give a rats ass about the so called worlds, a b- tourney in my book)
But this tourney is another thing and on NHL-sized rinks as well. And I'm too old to whine these days anyway. Sure, the two made-up teams ruins it a bit. But hey... just hope our guys get out of it in a good shape. And have a good run at the same time.
Can't wait to see some high class hockey in the upcoming weeks. It has been a while... (including the pre-tourney games)

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

No, I don't like it for the reasons I've said. I also won't be watching, mainly because I don't get any of the channels the games will be on. The last time I watched anything espn, nhl2nite was still on.

It's a gimmick tournament meant to replace the Olympics. There's nothing exciting about it. And before you go accusing me of premature whining, I don't like the Olympics either. I don't like international play at all. There's no hook for me there. It's just a distraction for the players and an opportunity to get injured in a meaningless extracurricular event. It also takes time away from the players learning the new system.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
No, I don't like it for the reasons I've said. I also won't be watching, mainly because I don't get any of the channels the games will be on. The last time I watched anything espn, nhl2nite was still on.

It's a gimmick tournament meant to replace the Olympics. There's nothing exciting about it. And before you go accusing me of premature whining, I don't like the Olympics either. I don't like international play at all. There's no hook for me there. It's just a distraction for the players and an opportunity to get injured in a meaningless extracurricular event. It also takes time away from the players learning the new system.

Why you in this thread if you aren't going to watch it?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It is a big deal. If they thought only 6 teams could compete, then they should have invited 6 teams. I don't know how much international sports you have been watching, but I can't think of a single sport where every participant is a medal contender.

And when you remove the worse teams you remove any chance of an upset. Maybe the U.S. shouldn't have been allowed to play in Lake Placid?

It's really annoying that so many north americans tend to think that we Europeans see ourselves as one big country. A Sweden-Finland team makes no more sense to us than a USA-Mexico team makes for you, in any international event.

And the last meaning of your post is nothing but an enormous exaggeration.

Umm I'm not sure where you're going with that, since Sweden and Finland are both getting there own team. There's still plenty of chances for upsets. Czech Republic beating Canada would be an upset. Team Europe beating Sweden would be an upset. Team NA beating Russia would be an upset. There's just more of a realistic chance that those upsets actually happen. I get that it sucks for fans of Slovakia and Switzerland to not have a team in the race but I just don't have a huge issue with it. I guess that makes me a "pretentious North American" but whatever

If you hate international play, that's fine. I for one enjoy it and am looking forward to seeing all the best players in a tournament, even if it is a gimmick

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
At least our better players should be in good shape to start the year. Thats a plus. We should start the season much better because of this tournament, at least I'd think so.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
Then again, one key guy like Getzlaf or Perry or Kesler or Gibson could get hurt, and our start would be hampered worse than by out of shape player(s).

How about an abdominal tear for Getz, or a groin for Gibson, or a knee for Perry, or a hamstring for Kesler?

The players in this tournament will not be "easing themselves into" game shape or the like. Their pride and competitiveness will be taking over. (Add: maybe not in Getzlaf's case)

Bottom line, I think the risk is not worth the reward of "conditioning".

Last edited:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
It's a gimmicky exhibition tournament serving the line purposes of the NHL trying to make a **** load of money and removing themselves from the Olympics. It's not even a best on best tournament, Canada and the U.S. aren't icing their best squads and they've eliminated any kind of national pride for the European side who are playing for no real cause other than competitiveness. Slovakia and Switzerland are capable hockey playing nations who have beaten many a good side in the past, ignoring them is not a good way to appeal to those fan bases.

We also have all of our top players except Fowler going which is going to lead to fatigue and inconsitency as the year goes on.

The whole thing is a joke. If you're going to put on a tournament of this magnitude do it properly.

I fully agree it's gimmicky, can't argue that at all. So is the shootout, but I enjoy that too. Lol

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The Olympics are nothing more than a large cesspool, organized and run by some of the most corrupt and politically motivated persons on earth for nothing more than their personal gain. There's no good reason why they should even exist today.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The Olympics are nothing more than a large cesspool, organized and run by some of the most corrupt and politically motivated persons on earth for nothing more than their personal gain. There's no good reason why they should even exist today.

Seriously, the IOC is lucky that FIFA exists to take first place for most corrupt organization on the planet.

I love international tournaments, since to me, they're the real all-star games; but there is nothing about them that is important or necessary.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This thread is to actually discuss the tournament. Everyone is free to like, dislike, love, hate, or be completely oblivious to it as they see fit, but if you want to squabble about things, take it to PM's.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Would be good to see Gibson get a few games, but I guess Murray got the starter gig locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark