[ANA] Gibson or [BOS] Subban?

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I kinda understand why he had to decommit but man, do I wish Gibson would've stuck with his commitment to Michigan. They've not had a real goalie there since (ironically, another gold medal goalie) Al Montoya.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I think a lot of people are enraptured by Subban's upside (especially since he's kind of a late bloomer), but the reality is there is a solid chance that's never realized. Gibson's technique is significantly better and he's Subban's equal athletically. I just don't see how they are in the same conversation. Gibson literally does everything better.

Yet Subban gets just as good results in the OHL and played just as well the round robin game. Canadian defence was a total cluster****, would have been a nightmare to any goalie.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Subban is more talented, Gibson is better right now.
Like Rabid Ranger, I don't see how one could say that. If Gibson was just a big kid playing his angles conservatively but more consistently than other kids are able to at that age, I could see it, but this case isn't remotely limited to that. From what I could see (with admittedly limited viewings), there's no big enough holes in Gibson's game to consider Subban more talented. Gibson has size, plays it extremely well, moves very quick and effectively, is very athletic, inredibly calm, and even has that instinct to get something in the way the odd time the play sees him out of position. Subban's athletic, and his skating seems very good, but he doesn't seem to be nearly as refined technically, which is all the more important moving on to higher levels, isn't as sound positionally or as consistent (which is possibly the biggest thing to overcome moving to the pro game), losing his angle a tad more often or falling too deep into the crease to play his size as effectively.

As of now, I really struggle to see a single aspect of the game where he's more talented than Gibson, let alone being able to apply that to the entire package. As always with kids that age, and especially netminders, I sure as hell can't and won't say that cannot change, but I'd really need an explanation for someone finding bigger upside in him. Otherwise it really seems like a hollow phrase to somehow cancel out the recent events.

Yet Subban gets just as good results in the OHL and played just as well the round robin game. Canadian defence was a total cluster****, would have been a nightmare to any goalie.
Well, goaltending ability doesn't always translate to "results" the same way in different environments. I also don't think I could say he played "just as well" in the other game, basically repeating the first point - he was just as effective, but in terms of how to assess their play and, more importantly, their talent, it's always necessary to look at play a little more abstract from mere results in form of numbers. That said, I agree with you in that the Canadian defense, especially today, was a hell of a uncomfortable spot to play behind, allowing some of those plays and screening him the way they did. Blaming him for the result is a weak excuse, as the team didn't really allow him to contribute much more.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Duck fan here hoping its Gibson. But some of you guys are over reacting. Subban is going to be a great goalie and you guys are holding 1 game against him.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
i voted for gibson just cause im a ducks fan :)
but i like subban as well. canadian defense was absolutely godawful today. no idea what they were doing. they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off and double screening the crap out of their own goalie

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Gibson plays much more of a "Price" like game and will be all around solid in his game. A true workhorse goalie in the NHL for years. Subban's style seems a little bit more flashy. I see a little bit of Tim Thomas in him not taken to the extreme that Thomas plays. But with a solid D-core in front of him, which Boston has, he will find success in nets.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Gibson plays much more of a "Price" like game and will be all around solid in his game. A true workhorse goalie in the NHL for years. Subban's style seems a little bit more flashy. I see a little bit of Tim Thomas in him not taken to the extreme that Thomas plays. But with a solid D-core in front of him, which Boston has, he will find success in nets.

I know you weren't talking about this in particular, but one area Gibson is nothing like Price is handling the puck. I'd say that's one area he can be working on, but it's such a minor thing when everything else he does is so great. He played a great game today and looks awesome. Hope he can give us one more just like it.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
For this WJC, I would have taken Gibson, but I'd take Subban long-term as an NHL starter.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Somehow, I see Subban with a better future. I would mention Vasilevski also with a better future than both.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Personally, I'd take Gibson. He seems extremely poised in nets and really impressed me since I started following him a few months ago.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I take Gibson without thinking twice. We'll see in maybe 5 more years. Agonizing that the Hawks passed on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad