[ANA] Gibson or [BOS] Subban?

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Right now I'd pick Gibson BUT I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban quickly make up a lot of ground and or surpass Gibson in a year or two. People seem to forget he's played the position half as long as any of the other goalies.

With his compete level, his size & his unbelievable athleticism, heaven help the NHL if he ever fully figures out the technique.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Right now I'd pick Gibson BUT I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban quickly make up a lot of ground and or surpass Gibson in a year or two. People seem to forget he's played the position half as long as any of the other goalies.

With his compete level, his size & his unbelievable athleticism, heaven help the NHL if he ever fully figures out the technique.

You aren't wrong. It is admittedly difficult to gauge how well a goalie will do, especially with Subban fresh out of the draft. Gibson gets one advantage that he's remained dominant through two (one and a half if we're being technical) post draft seasons. Sometimes goalies dominate early on and fizzle out into nothing at the NHL level. Some are taken totally for granted and fly under the radar and out of nowhere they become some of the league's top guys. Like Campbell for instance. Went 11th overall. Was overhyped in my opinion ever since then and still is. He's still consistently thrown into the "top goaltenders not in the NHL yet" discussion with guys like Lehner, Markstrom, Lack and the others. Homerism aside I truly believed there was a case to be made that Gibson was better than Campbell (no one will believe me because I can't find the posts), I even argued this before we scored Gibson. But the prevailing thought was that Campbell was every bit the future star he was hyped up to be, and where is he now? On the last 3 teams he's been on he's posted over a 3 goals against average, and under an 89 save percentage and this includes AHL play. Gibson hasn't actually played pro yet, so it's entirely possible (though I hope it doesn't happen) that he fizzles out Campbell style, and Subban could improve.

But yeah, as of now if I had to pick it would be Gibson. The way he plays and the way he can absolutely steal games...he absolutely deserves to be mentioned with guys like Lehner and Markstrom. I'm willing to bet if he was a Canadian prospect he would be. But I certainly wouldn't be upset with Subban either. I think he's a great pick up by the Bruins. Yeah they've got Rask, but teams like Washington and St.Louis have proved that you can never have too much goaltending talent in the system. And Boston's core seems fairly well balanced, the key to great cup runs has almost always been great play in net (Thomas, Giguere, Howard, Quick, Leighton, etc.). Rask and Subban gives you guys great options and a lot of people were crying foul over that pick, but really, who was available that was better than Subban? Maybe Collberg but that's about it.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Gibson's size and athleticism really show when you watch him.

He gets close to zero offensive help from his team yet still gets wins because he stands on his head. I havnt seen Subban play enough to say forsure but I like Gibson.

I love the Ducks scouting staff. Every year we get steals in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that probably should have been first rounders.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Hard to say. Gibson is older and has played very well the past two seasons. I'd take Subban over him though. I think he's going to be a special goalie.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Can't go wrong with either one. They're both future starters in the NHL imo, and both have all the tools and potential to be top 10 NHL tenders.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gibson.

But both teams have to be happy about those selections.

I remember being passed about the trade and then Rakell pick. At the time I felt that we could've had him with that 39th pick. But I was plenty happy that Gibby fell to us. I thought he was mid first round quality.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I think it'll be Subban. But it's sort of a "which would you like better 2 x $10.00 bills or 4 x $5.00 bills" kind of question. I think both will be very very good NHL goalies.

Oct 18, 2011
I've never seen Subban play, looking forward to maybe getting a chance at the U20's, I've seen Gibson and I know he's really good, but admit i am biased, goalies are hard to project, but Gibsons game is pretty projectable IMO....

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Gibson's size and athleticism really show when you watch him.

He gets close to zero offensive help from his team yet still gets wins because he stands on his head. I havnt seen Subban play enough to say forsure but I like Gibson.

I love the Ducks scouting staff. Every year we get steals in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that probably should have been first rounders.
It's funny cause that this actually describes Subban perfectly. Malcolm is tremendously athletic and the Bulls are arguably the worst offensive team in the Ontario Hockey League. Belleville sits first place in the East Division and second in the entire Conference, despite only scoring 82 goals this season (2.6 GF/GM, Tied for Last in OHL).

The teams leading scorer is his younger brother, Jordan Subban, who is a defender with 22 points in 32 games (on pace for 47 points).

Both are tremendous goalies who have excellent futures. I've seen more of Malcolm so I give my biased edge towards him, but in my times seeing Gibson he looks like a stud. Both have very comparable statistics as well:

Subban: 15-7-3-0, 2.17 GAA, .932 SV%
Gibson: 12-6-0-0, 2.20 GAA, .932 SV%

Both Belleville and Kitchener would be terrible if not for these two goalies.

Last edited:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Lol this might be the post diplomatic HF thread I've seen in a long time.

It's nice to see an objective discussion without the "A" typical pissing matches that seem to fallow on HF.

If HF was like this on the regular I'm sure more of the respected posters on this site would come around more often.

Kudos to both sides. :cheers:

RyderFistPump

Mar 21, 2010
Waay up north
Not to derail the thread but how would you say Jon Gillies , Flames 3rd rounder in 2012, stacks up against these two?

As a Bruins fan I'm happy about the Subban pick but had before the draft rather seen us draft a skater in the first round and try to get Gillies later.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Projecting for goalies is very tough. This one is a bit of a toss-up as to who will eventually be better. I think Gibson is lower risk, but Subban is possibly higher reward, but it's hard to say.

All I can add is that at this point in time, it's impossible to say Subban is better. Nothing Gibson has done in the past two years has given any cause for criticism (unless you go on injuries). His play has been consistently top-notch. So you can argue others have too, but I find it hard to argue anyone is currently better.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
They're both great prospects.

Homer voting Subban, but Gibson could easily be better in the long run. The question should be "Which high potential young goalie do u want? Player A or Player B?"

Both goalies were high picks and have good OHL stats, no one could convince me to lean far one way or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->