American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Jones looked great, tonight. Between him and Rattie, Portland fans will have a lot to look forward to this year.

How well regarded is Iverson?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The NTDP U17 squad had their first exhibition today against Youngstown and lost 4-3. Jack Eichel had 2 goals and Ryan MacInnis had the other. Not a bad result for the squad though. They gave up a ton of shots (not unexpected) but the goalies seemed to hold up which is good news.

I'd venture to guess that Eichel won't be with the U17 team long.

Complete stats aren't in for the U17 games this weekend but Eichel had 2 goals and an assist last night so he's got at least 5 points through the first 3 games of the season. I can't wait to see him play.

I caught a few of the U18 teams games this weekend. They weren't as impressive as I'd hoped they'd be but there are some intriguing players on the team. Keaton Thompson's game seems to have improved a good bit compared to last season and Hudson Fasching had some impressive moments, though he was quiet for long stretches. I hoped to see more from JT Compher as he was my favorite play on the team last year but he had a quiet weekend. It's still just pre-season so hopefully the team will gain momentum as the season progresses.

A player who really caught my eye was '96 born Wisconsin recruit Seamus Malone who's playing for Dubuque. He's got some of the best stickhandling skills I've seen for US forward in quite a while. He made numerous highlight dangles in the game I saw and had 2 goals and an assist. It's early to say anything with regards to the NHL for him but it looks like Wisconsin fans have something to look forward to in a few years.

On another note, it'll be interesting to follow what happens with '97 born forward Denis Yan. He's off to a blazing hot start with Belle Tire's U18 squad and had 4 goals and an assist in a game this weekend. He's a US citizen but I believe he's played most of his life in Russia and I'd assume he's also a Russian citizen. I didn't expect another Alex Galchenyuk type of situation so soon but it seems from what I know that could be the case here.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Complete stats aren't in for the U17 games this weekend but Eichel had 2 goals and an assist last night so he's got at least 5 points through the first 3 games of the season. I can't wait to see him play.

I caught a few of the U18 teams games this weekend. They weren't as impressive as I'd hoped they'd be but there are some intriguing players on the team. Keaton Thompson's game seems to have improved a good bit compared to last season and Hudson Fasching had some impressive moments, though he was quiet for long stretches. I hoped to see more from JT Compher as he was my favorite play on the team last year but he had a quiet weekend. It's still just pre-season so hopefully the team will gain momentum as the season progresses.

A player who really caught my eye was '96 born Wisconsin recruit Seamus Malone who's playing for Dubuque. He's got some of the best stickhandling skills I've seen for US forward in quite a while. He made numerous highlight dangles in the game I saw and had 2 goals and an assist. It's early to say anything with regards to the NHL for him but it looks like Wisconsin fans have something to look forward to in a few years.

On another note, it'll be interesting to follow what happens with '97 born forward Denis Yan. He's off to a blazing hot start with Belle Tire's U18 squad and had 4 goals and an assist in a game this weekend. He's a US citizen but I believe he's played most of his life in Russia and I'd assume he's also a Russian citizen. I didn't expect another Alex Galchenyuk type of situation so soon but it seems from what I know that could be the case here.

I haven't been as excited about a forward prospect like Jack Eichel since Phil Kessel entered the NTDP. Really excited to follow his development. Sonny Milano seems to be off to a pretty strong start as well.

Should be interesting to see what's going on with Denis Yan. I'd imagine, while I don't really know anything about the OHL draft rules, that he's playing for Belle Tire to position himself as a high draft pick that counts as an American and not have to go into the import draft. He's certainly had 2 high end games for Belle Tire so far but nothing else statistically in the others. Certainly one to follow and I'm sure the NTDP will pursue him but I'd guess he's aiming for the OHL.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
I haven't been as excited about a forward prospect like Jack Eichel since Phil Kessel entered the NTDP. Really excited to follow his development. Sonny Milano seems to be off to a pretty strong start as well.

Should be interesting to see what's going on with Denis Yan. I'd imagine, while I don't really know anything about the OHL draft rules, that he's playing for Belle Tire to position himself as a high draft pick that counts as an American and not have to go into the import draft. He's certainly had 2 high end games for Belle Tire so far but nothing else statistically in the others. Certainly one to follow and I'm sure the NTDP will pursue him but I'd guess he's aiming for the OHL.

Yan played last season in Canada for the Lambton Jr. Sting U16s (http://lambtonjrsting.ca/Teams/1033/Players/256/). It's weird as I've seen him listed as a Russian and a Canadian, but he also participated in USA Hockey's Select 15 camp in July. I guess we'll have to see how it all shakes out.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yan played last season in Canada for the Lambton Jr. Sting U16s (http://lambtonjrsting.ca/Teams/1033/Players/256/). It's weird as I've seen him listed as a Russian and a Canadian, but he also participated in USA Hockey's Select 15 camp in July. I guess we'll have to see how it all shakes out.

I thought I saw somewhere that he was born in Alaska but don't quote me on that. Either he was born here or he has an American parent(s).

DS1456Hockey

May 27, 2012
Buffalo NY
It was great to see so many top prospects at the USHL Fall Classic. The timing of the NHL CS list was great. Compher can just play. Cammarata was also nice good. I was a little disappointed with Fashing. For a top rated player he was hard to find in a few games. Also Connor Chatham was quite. Jordan Gross seems to be doing well with GBay. Santini did not show much. Guertler? What was he thinking with the spearing. Its pre-season is right. McGlynn had a great two games posting 5 points. Motte always working and plays big. Just like the kid. Weis looked good in the one game I got to see.

A few changes to the next CS list are coming. Easily a few C's that will move up after showing well this weekend. The A's are solid.

Again. A great weekend of USHL Hockey in Sioux City.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Eliteprospects says Moscow fwiw

While I can't say for certain, that doesn't mean they're right. For example, they have Conor McGlynn (Sioux City) as being born in Oakville, ON. While he's played a lot of his hockey there due to his dad's job, he doesn't even have Canadian citizenship. And they've made mistakes before, it's not easy to get the correct info on players like Yan that have traveled around so much. Eliteprospects didn't know anything about Galchenyuk either until the NTDP invited him to their camp.

Don't you have to have American citizenship to participate in the player development camps?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
While I can't say for certain, that doesn't mean they're right. For example, they have Conor McGlynn (Sioux City) as being born in Oakville, ON. While he's played a lot of his hockey there due to his dad's job, he doesn't even have Canadian citizenship. And they've made mistakes before, it's not easy to get the correct info on players like Yan that have traveled around so much. Eliteprospects didn't know anything about Galchenyuk either until the NTDP invited him to their camp.

Don't you have to have American citizenship to participate in the player development camps?

I know, that's why I said fwiw (for what it's worth). But I did a fairly exhaustive google search and that was the only reference I found. Other articles though did seen confirm he at least played in Russia.

DS1456Hockey

May 27, 2012
Buffalo NY
All American Prospect Game Roster

After being at the USHL Fall Classic on this weekend I am left wondering about some of the All American Prospects Game selections that play in the USHL.

First, how do 1994 second time draft players get selected? They were passed over in June after being scouted for year. Is the NHL scouting contingent interested is re-thinking their decision after just two months?

Second, 12 USNTDP players? Is this a showcase for this group? For sure many are deserving of their selection but I can pick 4 that are questionable without much effort on top of the 94 just passed over. A Note: These kid are very good players. My point id why not let the NHL get a look at fresh players. The 94's are known and will be strongly considered without taking a roster spot in this game. Net 6 that should go to first time eligible players.

Third, their are players who are ranked by CS that are not selected and others that are not ranked that have been selected? Who made up the roster?

I appreciate the need to show a balanced selection; CHL, USHL, Prep and High School but leaving more worthy selections off the list in the name of political correctness only devalues the need for such an event. I am not sure which players from the CHL deserve a roster spot (I have two in mind) but after the Fall Classic there are a few players that stood out and out played USHL players that did get selected.

Maybe this game should have been played in Dec or Jan? This would allow more time to sort through the rosters and select players on their way up

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
After being at the USHL Fall Classic on this weekend I am left wondering about some of the All American Prospects Game selections that play in the USHL.

First, how do 1994 second time draft players get selected? They were passed over in June after being scouted for year. Is the NHL scouting contingent interested is re-thinking their decision after just two months?

Second, 12 USNTDP players? Is this a showcase for this group? For sure many are deserving of their selection but I can pick 4 that are questionable without much effort on top of the 94 just passed over. A Note: These kid are very good players. My point id why not let the NHL get a look at fresh players. The 94's are known and will be strongly considered without taking a roster spot in this game. Net 6 that should go to first time eligible players.

Third, their are players who are ranked by CS that are not selected and others that are not ranked that have been selected? Who made up the roster?

I appreciate the need to show a balanced selection; CHL, USHL, Prep and High School but leaving more worthy selections off the list in the name of political correctness only devalues the need for such an event. I am not sure which players from the CHL deserve a roster spot (I have two in mind) but after the Fall Classic there are a few players that stood out and out played USHL players that did get selected.

Maybe this game should have been played in Dec or Jan? This would allow more time to sort through the rosters and select players on their way up

As many have said, it's a great idea, but the player selection really hurts the excitement level.

I have not heard if they are doing it this year, but the USHL did their TPG in January so that was probably the logic behind that one.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I took my daughter to watch the Belle Tire vs. Cleveland Barons MM game this past Sat. Yan definitely stod out for BLT. For Cleveland, Ilekys impressed me with his skating and hustle. He didn't get as much PT as I would have thought. Magyar didn't do much but we did miss the 1st period where he scored. I was also impressed by BLT's G, Brad Hawayek. Fun game. Lots of talent... and in Cleveland, Ohio!!

vedder1haleneddiernr

Sep 14, 2012
2 elite '97 prospects that are not included in your list are 1) Joe Masonious--defensemen now playing for the New Jersey Hitman u18--great skater--nice vision--and a crunching hitter--great showing at the USA festival over the summer

2) forward Nolan Aibel now playing for New Jersey Rockets junior B team--tremendous speed--great vision--great hands-scored 192 points for li gulls bantam major last year--guiding them to the usa nationals--one of the best frwds at the USA festival

vedder1haleneddiernr

Sep 14, 2012
speaking to an OHL scout this past weekend at the MET showcase where Aibel had 7 points in 3 games--" very cerebral-one one smartest players on the ice he has seen in ages--dynamite speed--natural playmaker--fantastic 2-way forward"

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I took my daughter to watch the Belle Tire vs. Cleveland Barons MM game this past Sat. Yan definitely stod out for BLT. For Cleveland, Ilekys impressed me with his skating and hustle. He didn't get as much PT as I would have thought. Magyar didn't do much but we did miss the 1st period where he scored. I was also impressed by BLT's G, Brad Hawayek. Fun game. Lots of talent... and in Cleveland, Ohio!!

Is Ilekys Stuart Ilekys? As in the speedy forward that played for the Don Mills Flyers Minor Midgets last year? Thanks.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

To provide an update after their first 3 games with the NTDP:

Jack Eichel leads the U-17s in scoring with seven points (4-3). Sonny Milano is second with five points (2-3) while Jack Glover is third with four points (2-2). Joe Wegwerth (1-2--3) and Chris Wilkie (Omaha, Neb./0-3--3) are tied for fourth with three points each

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The NTDP U17 squad had their first official USHL game tonight against Des Moines and won 6-1. Jack Eichel had 2 assists, Chris Wilkie and Dylan Larkin each had a goal and an assist, and Sonny Milano also scored again. Thatcher Demko made 41 saves on 42 shots.

It looks like U17's top line is Milano - Eichel - Wilkie. All three guys are hyped prospects. Should be a pretty dynamite line.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The NTDP U17 squad had their first official USHL game tonight against Des Moines and won 6-1. Jack Eichel had 2 assists, Chris Wilkie and Dylan Larkin each had a goal and an assist, and Sonny Milano also scored again. Thatcher Demko made 41 saves on 42 shots.

It looks like U17's top line is Milano - Eichel - Wilkie. All three guys are hyped prospects. Should be a pretty dynamite line.

I watched the game and I thought that top line was great.

Eichel is pretty much everything you'd want in a top line center. He's an excellent skater, strong puck handler, has great vision and passing ability and a strong shot. I was also quite impressed with his defensive play as he showed good positioning and was great on the back check. It'd be nice to see him add some snarl to his game though.

Milano is a nice player too; good stick skills, skating and a nose for the net. He'll just have to focus on gaining strength as he was badly out matched along the boards on a number of occasions.

This was a big win for the U17s but the game was very close through the first two periods. Demko was a real difference maker for them in that stretch as he came up with a number of big saves to keep the team in the game before Des Moines' melt down in the third. I'll be intrigued to see how the younger goalies perform over the coarse of the season as they're going to face a lot of quality chances until the defense learns how to handle the bigger, faster forwards they're facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad