American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
One major difference between Matthews and Eichel is that Matthews played well at the U18s this year while Eichel didn't in his opportunity as an underager. Matthews has earned the opportunity he's been given.

If players are going to quit a team over things like this then it shows a lack of character. This is the first I've heard of these types of attitudes amongst this group so I'll view this with skepticism until I hear anything concrete otherwise.

I disagree

Since the day these kids joined the program, they have been told to put aside individual goals for the team - roll even lines, play unselfishly etc.

Not an easy task for kids used to being the man on their other teams.

Then one gets favored over the others even though coaches etc have promised otherwise.

Must be infuriating.

These kids have options- one of the last times they will in their playing careers

They can go wherever they feel will help them reach their ultimate goal.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I only disagree with you saying it's a different situation than eichel last summer...It was the same situation and eichel was not invited. If any 97 deserved to be invited on talent alone this year it was Hanifin. Eichel was ahead of Matthews in physical development last summer and did not get the invite.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and as I said you could be right with a lot of this.

But.

I believe it isn't similar as Matthews performed at an above level at the u18 (as an underager) and like was stated prior Eichel really did not in his year, hence not getting invited. Eichel simply underperformed and casted some doubt about how skilled he truly was with that performance. I think USA Hockey sent him a message with that non invite and message was received loud and clear. I honestly think he learned from that performance and stepped it up big time following that tournament. As for Hanifin, really no explanation there as he was phenomenal at the u18 and the entire year.

Reading the quotes from Johansson today on the camp roster(many know my feelings and views of him are not that positive), they want to see what he (Matthews) can do along side this level of talent because they believe he is a special talent. He has accelerated everywhere he has gone. His words.

I have no problems with that and neither should any other member of the USNDP. They feel he is the best of the bunch and want to observe how he does in a setting like this. So again I think there is smoke without a fire here until I truly see or hear anything of the just. This is just the beginning camp, if you don't like something, plenty of time to do something about it and change opinions in December.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I disagree

Since the day these kids joined the program, they have been told to put aside individual goals for the team - roll even lines, play unselfishly etc.

Not an easy task for kids used to being the man on their other teams.

Then one gets favored over the others even though coaches etc have promised otherwise.

Must be infuriating.

These kids have options- one of the last times they will in their playing careers

They can go wherever they feel will help them reach their ultimate goal.

Yeah, they do have options-which included signing on with the USNTDP where they get exposed to high level play and world class coaching, weight training, facilities, and college/MJ/pro exposure. Let's not label them a bunch of Oliver Twists just yet. Besides, EVERY TEAM at EVERY LEVEL has favorites. It's the nature of the beast.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and as I said you could be right with a lot of this.

But.

I believe it isn't similar as Matthews performed at an above level at the u18 (as an underager) and like was stated prior Eichel really did not in his year, hence not getting invited. Eichel simply underperformed and casted some doubt about how skilled he truly was with that performance. I think USA Hockey sent him a message with that non invite and message was received loud and clear. I honestly think he learned from that performance and stepped it up big time following that tournament. As for Hanifin, really no explanation there as he was phenomenal at the u18 and the entire year.

Reading the quotes from Johansson today on the camp roster(many know my feelings and views of him are not that positive), they want to see what he (Matthews) can do along side this level of talent because they believe he is a special talent. He has accelerated everywhere he has gone. His words.

I have no problems with that and neither should any other member of the USNDP. They feel he is the best of the bunch and want to observe how he does in a setting like this. So again I think there is smoke without a fire here until I truly see or hear anything of the just. This is just the beginning camp, if you don't like something, plenty of time to do something about it and change opinions in December.

I think much like Bob Nicholson w/Hockey Canada it's probably time for Johansson to go (whether that's voluntary or not). Not that he has done a terrible job, but a changing of the guard would be refreshing.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
Yeah, they do have options-which included signing on with the USNTDP where they get exposed to high level play and world class coaching, weight training, facilities, and college/MJ/pro exposure. Let's not label them a bunch of Oliver Twists just yet. Besides, EVERY TEAM at EVERY LEVEL has favorites. It's the nature of the beast.

Same can be said if OHL

Everybody should do what they think is best for their own development

There's no loyalty on either side player, coach, usntdp, OHL

All look out for their own interests first

You are lucky if the Venn diagram overlaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad