American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
What is the pro potential for USDP RW Mike McCarron? Big kid (6'5" 220 lbs) who put up about .5 ppg in the USHL last year (3+14 in 35 games). He is no stranger to the sin bin, putting up 112 penalty minutes in those 35 games, if eliteprospects is correct.

Does he have potential to be a 2nd or 3rd line power forward? Or is he just a potential 4th line goon?

JansenHockey

Sep 10, 2012
What is the pro potential for USDP RW Mike McCarron? Big kid (6'5" 220 lbs) who put up about .5 ppg in the USHL last year (3+14 in 35 games). He is no stranger to the sin bin, putting up 112 penalty minutes in those 35 games, if eliteprospects is correct.

Does he have potential to be a 2nd or 3rd line power forward? Or is he just a potential 4th line goon?

McCarron is a kid you can't miss. Has a Pro body and grit to match. Not an offensive threat but a solid depth player at the next level. Easy to see him in in the top four rounds. If he moves from his Cornell commitment (just bailed on M State) and goes Major Jr. his stock will go up.

JansenHockey

Sep 10, 2012
I'm not sure of the criteria but here are some players that are missing- IMO

Jimmy Lodge F - OHL Saginaw - 6' 1" - 180 - 2013 Draft
Conor McGlynn F - USHL Sioux City - 6' 2" 195 - 2013 Draft - Boston College 2013
Jordan Gross D - USHL Greenbay - - Notre Dame - 2014
Justin Bailey F - OHL Kitchener Rangers - 6'2" - 190 - 2013 Draft
Anthony DeAngelo - OHL Sarnia - 5'10" - 175 - 2013 Draft
Matt Weis - USHL Greenbay - 5'10" - 180 - 2013 Draft - Ohio State 2013

Alex Jasiek F - St Louis Blues
Nick Magyar F - Cleveland Barrons - Ohio State 2015
Ryan Mantha D - USHL Sioux City - 6'4" 195

Bailey Seagraves G - Ohio BLue Jackets
Brent Gates F - 6'1" - Aug 12-1997 - Notre Dame 2015-16
Brendan McGlynn G - Oakville Rangers Minor Midget AAA (Ontario)
Troy Henely D - Not with Comcast. Will play with Oakville Rangers Minor Midget AAA (Ontario)

I was in Toronto to scout the Midget Minor showcase this weekend. A few games Saturday and all the games on Sunday. Some incredible talent north of the boarder. Two US Prospects are playing in Ontario are on one of the top teams in Toronto.

Troy Henley is playing with the Oakville Rangers. He has to be one of the top defense in the US - 97 class. A workhorse with great skating and puck skills. He was double shifted the in every game I was able to see. Was listed at 6 ft 1 and 201 pounds in the scouting booklet. Very real numbers based on how he looked on the ice. While I was only there a day and a half he was one of the best players I watched. Just rock solid when taking care of his own end. A sure thing for the NTDP if they can land him but I was told he's looking at the OHL hence the move to Ontario. Brendan McGlynn, a goaltender, played in all three games on Sunday, the 1/4, semi and final. Listed at 5 ft 11 and 155 is not a stretch. He takes up a lot of net with his positioning. On a few occasions he showed great athletic ability; quick feet and is able to get back into position lighting fast after making a save. Was great in the final but lost in a shootout after allowing one goal. A very solid prospect that will get some attention this season.

The Buffalo Regals & Maksymum Hockey both had team entered into this showcase. I did see Maksymum play on Saturday evening but they don't seem to have much there.

HowieMeeker

Sep 13, 2012
I was in Toronto to scout the Midget Minor showcase this weekend. A few games Saturday and all the games on Sunday. Some incredible talent north of the boarder. Two US Prospects are playing in Ontario are on one of the top teams in Toronto.

The Buffalo Regals & Maksymum Hockey both had team entered into this showcase. I did see Maksymum play on Saturday evening but they don't seem to have much there.

Henley is a bonafide OHL prospect. Maksymum tied Oakville on Friday - you missed that game. Maksymum Goalie stood on his head and was the same goalie that beat Oakville last year. Oakville can't solve him and he did not play last game. Regals have 2-3 excellent prospects to move on.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Texeira played 3 WHL preseason games for Portland posting 2 goals, 1 assist, +3 and 4 PIM's. Not bad for one of the few '97's who made it to the preseason.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Should be interesting to see what USA Hockey does, if anything, to attempt to court Jansen Harkins, the #2 overall pick (Prince George) in this year's WHL draft. His dad is Todd Harkins, an Ohio native that represented Team USA in two World Championships.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Should be interesting to see what USA Hockey does, if anything, to attempt to court Jansen Harkins, the #2 overall pick (Prince George) in this year's WHL draft. His dad is Todd Harkins, an Ohio native that represented Team USA in two World Championships.

Harkins is a top talent at this point. It would be a huge move for USA Hockey to land him. He has said he is leaning towards playing for Canada moving forward thou.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Send him a fruit basket?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

He signed with Primce George right away so without using the NDTP I'm not sure of any advantages USA Hockey could give him. Vancouver born and presumably raised (he's at least played there the last couple years), I would hope he plays for Canada.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He signed with Primce George right away so without using the NDTP I'm not sure of any advantages USA Hockey could give him. Vancouver born and presumably raised (he's at least played there the last couple years), I would hope he plays for Canada.

Yeah, and the NTDP wasn't an option till next year anyway. I'm sure the odds are slim but USAH would be stupid (not uncharacteristic though) to not pursue him at all. Even if Jansen wanted to play for Team USA, who knows if he even could at this point as I'm not sure if he's played long enough in the USA for the IIHF to contradict themselves once again. Given that the first chance to lock himself into USAH would be the IIHF U-18 team, where we send the NTDP squad, I can't imagine he'd wait around to play for Team USA (if that were even his first choice) when he'd probably have the opportunity with Canada first if he lives up to his billing.

With that, does anyone know if the Youth Olympic Games, IIHF sanctioned, lock players into a certain nation? That would probably be USAH's only option with Harkins if it's the case, regardless of who he prefers to represent.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The NTDP U18 squad had their first exhibition game today against Youngstown and won 7-1. Tyler Motte and Hudson Fasching both had a goal and an assist, and newcomer Shane Eiserman had 2 goals and an assist. Hunter Miska went the distance in goal. The U17's first exhibition is tomorrow.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The NTDP U17 squad had their first exhibition today against Youngstown and lost 4-3. Jack Eichel had 2 goals and Ryan MacInnis had the other. Not a bad result for the squad though. They gave up a ton of shots (not unexpected) but the goalies seemed to hold up which is good news.

I'd venture to guess that Eichel won't be with the U17 team long.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The NTDP U17 squad had their first exhibition today against Youngstown and lost 4-3. Jack Eichel had 2 goals and Ryan MacInnis had the other. Not a bad result for the squad though. They gave up a ton of shots (not unexpected) but the goalies seemed to hold up which is good news.

I'd venture to guess that Eichel won't be with the U17 team long.

For what reason?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
According to USA hockey's protected list, they have added Michael Babcock to the NTDP U18 roster.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
Just that he'll be moved up to the U18 squad, not that he's going to Halifax. However, if Eichel does move up to the U18 squad and wins the IIHF U-18 Championship, it may make Halifax's pitch easier after this season.

JT Compher was moved up full time to the U18 team March 1 last year. My guess is Eichel will be moved up earlier than that. I'd guess he is gone right after the U17 World Challenge in January or 5 Nations tournament in Februrary.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Are you telling me that kids born in 1997 have already declared their college school? Holy, that just seems so young.

HowieMeeker

Sep 13, 2012
Yes, several have. It's a non-binding commitment both ways. Most of the smarter elite players hold their choices close to the vest - generates more interest and options.

THere are 60 or so D1 schools, and each year they take in 3-5 kids, so that's a lot of players to ingest - bottom end of D1 (Atlantic) gets bottom of the barrel.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Are you telling me that kids born in 1997 have already declared their college school? Holy, that just seems so young.

Ya, BC had 3 commit over 6 months ago, one Noah Hanifin, committed last October. Pretty insane, but to get the best like it looks like Hanifin will be up there for the 97's you have to get em early now.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Didn't get a chance to watch any of the Ivan Hlinka this year. Anyone stand out for the US?

IkeaMonkey*

It seems my favorite player, Gabe Guertler, who people around here claim I'm "wayyyy too hard on" and "his antics are a non-issue" is up to his old tricks from last season already in some fine pre-season games!

Fargo - Gabe Guertler - (Spearing Double Minor), 4 min, 19:30
Fargo - Gabe Guertler - (Spearing Game Ejection), 10 min, 19:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad