Proposal: Am I Not Hertley Enough For The Hertl Club?: S.J. + CAL

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I wouldn't give up a 1st and a pair of 2nds without Lucic attached, so we value Hertl differently...

Very different then.

Out of curiosity, if you traded Lucic straight up for cap relief how much do you think you would have to pay to do that?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Very different then.

Out of curiosity, if you traded Lucic straight up for cap relief how much do you think you would have to pay to do that?

It depends...

If he's going to a team needing to reach the cap floor, the asking price might not be as stiff as it would to a team closer to the cap

A couple of 2nd rd picks seems reasonable...

Lucic has been better than expected with Calgary, and they aren't desperate for cap space, so they're not in a position to be gouged...

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It depends...

If he's going to a team needing to reach the cap floor, the asking price might not be as stiff as it would to a team closer to the cap

Lucic has been better than expected with Calgary, and they aren't desperate for cap space, so they're not in a position to be gouged...
No team will need a contract to “help” make to the cap floor, dumping a 2 year/6m contract will cost a team plenty because it’s only “helping” them.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It depends...

Ok so if you think it would take a couple 2nds to trade Lucic, that means you value Hertl as a single 1st round pick?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ok so if you think it would take a couple 2nds to trade Lucic, that means you value Hertl as a single 1st round pick?

Not all 1st rd picks are the same, but I'd put his value around #10 in an average draft...

Keep in mind that trade would be Hertl for #10 + the cap space created by Hertl's departure

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, that seems about right...

hahaha ok no wonder this trade proposal is going nowhere. My god that is an embarrassing take.

Barclay Goodrow got a first round pick as a freaking rental, and you want an extended Hertl for that price. Holy crap I cant stop laughing

Well good luck with that, as a pretend GM in this thread, my phone is officially hung up.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not all 1st rd picks are the same, but I'd put his value around #10 in an average draft...

Keep in mind that trade would be Hertl for #10 + the cap space created by Hertl's departure

Under your premise, the cap space doesn’t mean anything because the Sharks are a rebuilding team so losing a valuable 5.625 million player isn’t some added value to them.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Under your premise, the cap space doesn’t mean anything because the Sharks are a rebuilding team so losing a valuable 5.625 million player isn’t some added value to them.

The cap space could be used to take on cap dumps and the assets that come with them...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
More cap space means they can acquire more cap dumps... which brings in more picks/prospects

That doesn’t always get used for various reasons. If a team isn’t going to use it, its value lessens. Quantifying it is dependent on the situation. The Sharks losing Hertl isn’t going to somehow make them value that cap space more. You either pay the price to get him or they keep him. Pretty simple. Hertl has a three team trade list. One of those teams will pay it if they want him bad enough and the Sharks aren’t going to be interested in cap dumps unless it helps them compete which is practically impossible.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
2021 and 2022 firsts

Good luck. We saw the trade deadline of everyone giving hardly any picks in 2022. And if it was? Late rounds.

Hertl isn’t worth that value estimation imo when we look at the landscape. Skinner didn’t even get that, and he’s a 63 point player in a full 82 on a bad team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good luck. We saw the trade deadline of everyone giving hardly any picks in 2022. And if it was? Late rounds.

Hertl isn’t worth that value estimation imo when we look at the landscape. Skinner didn’t even get that, and he’s a 63 point player in a full 82 on a bad team.

Skinner is nowhere near the caliber of player that Hertl is.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Skinner is nowhere near the caliber of player that Hertl is.

Come and talk to me when he hits 40 goals in a complete season. Jeff Skinner did that just a few seasons ago on a bad Buffalo team. Hertl hasn’t done that accomplishment in his entire career while San Jose was in its prime playoff years. Your evaluation is off like a lot of these people here.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Come and talk to me when he hits 40 goals in a complete season. Jeff Skinner did that just a few seasons ago on a bad Buffalo team. Hertl hasn’t done that accomplishment in his entire career while San Jose was in its prime playoff years. Your evaluation is off like a lot of these people here.

Hertl actually has versatility that Skinner doesn’t have in a more valuable position with a good playoff track record. Talk to me when Skinner does anything in the playoffs. You simply don’t know what you speak of.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Hertl actually has versatility that Skinner doesn’t have in a more valuable position with a good playoff track record. Talk to me when Skinner does anything in the playoffs. You simply don’t know what you speak of.

You don’t know what you’re speaking of regarding evaluation. You’re bottom of the barrel right now of the league, and he has done NOTHING to prove the worth of what your asking price is. Skinner got a prospect and a second and a 6th

And Hertl hasn’t even hit 40 goals. Versatility? That’s just a word in your hyperbole of a comment. What I’m proving is facts over fiction. Please explain to me the greater value here?

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Make it an unprotected 2022 1st and maybe we can start talking minus the cap dump. But the 10th ish pick in a poor draft class isn't enough. Let alone taking back 2 2nds to take on Lucic. Heck one of those 2nds will be late and in this draft class. Other teams will beat this offer easily.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I could definitely see Hertl being a victim of the current economic climate in the NHL...

5.5 - 6 million seems about right from a team like Calgary... maybe on a 4 or 5 year deal
Hertl will wait until closer to the end of next season before signing. By then things will have opened up. He's going to play the market too. I don't see why he would agree to a discount for the sharks right now.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I am sure someone already pointed out Hertl has a 3 team trade list (M-NTC). Yikes. Doubt he waives for the Oilers or Calgary.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
You don’t know what you’re speaking of regarding evaluation. You’re bottom of the barrel right now of the league, and he has done NOTHING to prove the worth of what your asking price is. Skinner got a prospect and a second and a 6th

And Hertl hasn’t even hit 40 goals. Versatility? That’s just a word in your hyperbole of a comment. What I’m proving is facts over fiction. Please explain to me the greater value here?
Different players for sure, but you can’t compare Skinner to Hertl. 2 years ago Hertl was a 1C/W on a cup finalist, playing ~22 a night and being a force at both ends. Skinner is an inconsistent one-dimensional scoring winger, albeit a pretty good scorer when he’s on. I get that you’re exaggerating a bit for the sake of argument, but you’re sleeping on Hertl if u don’t think there’s 20+ teams that would line up to beat this offer for him

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I am sure someone already pointed out Hertl has a 3 team trade list (M-NTC). Yikes. Doubt he waives for the Oilers or Calgary.

His agent would likely advise him to expand that list to include any team willing to drop fat stacks for an extension...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Hertl doesn't need to hit 40 goals to prove versatility. He's a center that can play wing. He plays well defensively, kills penalties, plays a solid possession game, and has shown his game translates to the playoffs. Skinner can't even get to the playoffs. You have one fact about goals that happened two seasons ago where Hertl out-produced him 63 points in 82 games compared to Hertl's 74 points in 77 games where he had 35 goals. Hertl is demonstrably a more versatile player than Skinner and would be valued as such if the Sharks decide they need to move on. Get your nonsense and get to steppin' because it's not going to fly here.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This group with the Flames are circling the drain. Hertl isn't going to stop their demise. Sure they might hang around trying to squeak into the playoff for a couple more years but this team is on its way down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad