Proposal: Am I Not Hertley Enough For The Hertl Club?: S.J. + CAL

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To San Jose: 2021 1st, 2021 2nd, FLA's 2022 2nd, Lucic

To Calgary: Hertl (extended)

San Jose get a nice haul of picks for their rebuild/retool effort. Lucic's contract is undesirable, but the Sharks aren't contending, and he'll be off the payroll long before that changes

Calgary upgrade down the middle as they attempt to optimize their window of contention

NOTE: The trade can be completed after the expansion draft, but before the entry draft

Reactions: banks

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

San Jose get a nice haul of picks for their rebuild/retool effort. Lucic's contract is undesirable, but the Sharks aren't contending, and he'll be off the payroll long before that changes

Calgary upgrade down the middle as they attempt to optimize their window of contention

NOTE: The trade can be completed after the expansion draft, but before the entry draft

What does the extended contract look like for Hertl?

Lucic and the 1st offset each other, if Lucic agrees to waive.

So basically two 2nds (the Florida one could be a very late 2nd as well) for an extended Hertl? I am guessing that is a big 'no' from the Sharks. I don't even think they would agree to that if you removed Lucic.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

LMAO!

Their window of contention just slammed down on their collective fingers.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
a first and two seconds isn't quite enough for hertl IMO. And adding lucic decreases value further.

But Lucic + SJ is always a good enough reason to post this video.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I doubt Hertl has Calgary on his three team trade list but this would be what I'd expect if they were and I'd say no. We can get that assortment of picks from anyone on his list without the cap dump.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
a first and two seconds isn't quite enough for hertl IMO. And adding lucic decreases value further.

But Lucic + SJ is always a good enough reason to post this video.

A first and two seconds for Hertl? You gotta be joking. Yes that would easily be accepted from the Sharks. He’s barely over a .5 PPG player, and he’s also going to be expecting a pay day soon. Having 3 ELCs one being a first rounder as well out weights his value. Not only that Sharks are in rebuild mode and need those picks

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
A first and two seconds for Hertl? You gotta be joking. Yes that would easily be accepted from the Sharks. He’s barely over a .5 PPG player, and he’s also going to be expecting a pay day soon. Having 3 ELCs one being a first rounder as well out weights his value. Not only that Sharks are in rebuild mode and need those picks

He's actually played at a 0.84 ppg pace over the past 3 years, making him just shy of a 70 point player.

He's worth more than a 1st and a couple 2nds, especially when Lucic is added.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

You aren't even mentioning Lucic. That is an unfair deal for the Sharks.

Reactions: BStinson

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I doubt Hertl has Calgary on his three team trade list but this would be what I'd expect if they were and I'd say no. We can get that assortment of picks from anyone on his list without the cap dump.

Which teams with cap space to absorb Hertl's contract without sending back salary are willing to give up the assets though?

For example, I don't think teams like Ottawa, Detroit and New Jersey would target Hertl when they can just sign free-agents without giving up picks/prospects

Teams that are interested in Hertl are most likely spending near the cap, and will have to send salary back to San Jose... ideally in the form of a 2022 expiring contract

Lucic is only 1 year longer than a 2022 expiring contract

People tend to scoff at taking on a bad contract, but if the team is rebuilding, that bad contract isn't as detrimental as it would be to a team looking to maximize their cap space in order to contend

Last edited:
Reactions: Pertti

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
He's actually played at a 0.84 ppg pace over the past 3 years, making him just shy of a 70 point player.

He's worth more than a 1st and a couple 2nds, especially when Lucic is added.

So I guess under your assumption he’s the next Gretzky of the NHL cut and dry.

We just saw Jeff Skinner get traded for a prospect, a second and a sixth. I can pour out more players as well if you like. Jeff Skinners stats are almost the exact same as Hertl before he hit Buffalo.

So no, the value of Hertl is extremely off. And there’s homerism being played here

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Which teams with cap space to absorb Hertl's contract without sending back salary are willing to give up the assets though?

For example, I don't think teams like Ottawa, Detroit and New Jersey would target Hertl when they can just sign free-agents without giving up picks/prospects

Teams that are interested in Hertl are most likely spending near the cap, and will have to send salary back to San Jose... ideally in the form of a 2022 expiring contract

People tend to balk at taking on a bad contract, but if the team is rebuilding, that bad contract isn't as detrimental as it would be to a team looking to maximize their cap space in order to contend

THANK YOU!!! That’s also the problem. People are acting like Hertl won’t be wanting a fat check soon on his up and coming contract

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

People tend to scoff at taking on a bad contract, but if the team is rebuilding, that bad contract isn't as detrimental as it would be to a team looking to maximize their cap space in order to contend

Plenty since you're talking about an offseason trade. Calgary, for example, has 15 mil in offseason cap dollars to use to absorb Hertl w/o even including Lucic in the deal. If a team is looking to trade a dump while acquiring Hertl then yes it would be fine if the deal expired in 2022 and the acquiring team is compensating the Sharks for it but this deal doesn't do either of that. Lucic doesn't expire until 2023 and the chances are that Hertl's value is a 1st plus something that is an equivalent to a 2nd. Dumping Lucic for an additional 2nd doesn't exactly compensate the Sharks with what they should for taking on such a contract.

However, all of that is not really the Sharks problem. The Sharks don't have to trade Hertl. Chances are both sides would be happy to enter into a new long term deal so a team wanting to pry him from the Sharks needs to give up the necessary value for them to consider it. This deal just simply doesn't do it.

If you want the Sharks to take on Lucic while giving the Flames Hertl, you're looking at two 1st round picks at a minimum.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Oilers can easily with the amount of cap space they have in the offseason. I don't know if there is a trade to be made that's fair to the Sharks since they ARE still in compete mode.

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Plenty since you're talking about an offseason trade. Calgary, for example, has 15 mil in offseason cap dollars to use to absorb Hertl w/o even including Lucic in the deal. If a team is looking to trade a dump while acquiring Hertl then yes it would be fine if the deal expired in 2022 and the acquiring team is compensating the Sharks for it but this deal doesn't do either of that. Lucic doesn't expire until 2023 and the chances are that Hertl's value is a 1st plus something that is an equivalent to a 2nd. Dumping Lucic for an additional 2nd doesn't exactly compensate the Sharks with what they should for taking on such a contract.

However, all of that is not really the Sharks problem. The Sharks don't have to trade Hertl. Chances are both sides would be happy to enter into a new long term deal so a team wanting to pry him from the Sharks needs to give up the necessary value for them to consider it. This deal just simply doesn't do it.

If you want the Sharks to take on Lucic while giving the Flames Hertl, you're looking at two 1st round picks at a minimum.

The Sharks are unlikely to contend with their current core, so why would they commit to another long term contract with an aging veteran who is nearing the end of his prime?

IMO, the Sharks should be looking to trade Hertl, not re-sign him... with or without him, they're not going to be competitive

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lucic is fine. He’s still a reasonably effective player. No need to get rid of him. Especially considering Seattle likely picks Giordano and we also probably trade a Monahan or Gaudreau. No need for cap space, we will have tons.

I like Hertl but Calgary is not trading a top 8 pick in this draft for him.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Oilers can easily with the amount of cap space they have in the offseason. I don't know if there is a trade to be made that's fair to the Sharks since they ARE still in compete mode.

It doesn't make sense for the Oilers to give up assets for Hertl when they can just use their cap space on free-agents...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks are unlikely to contend with their current core, so why would they commit to another long term contract with an aging veteran who is nearing the end of his prime?

IMO, the Sharks should be looking to trade Hertl, not re-sign him... with or without him, they're not going to be competitive

Because he provides significant value to the Sharks and even as an aging veteran, Hertl is the kind of guy that can contribute to a contending team down the road. The idea that the Sharks aren't going to be competitive anytime in the near future is likely false. And even if it were true, the player and the GM just has to believe it to come to an agreement. Teams go up and down a lot and the Sharks aren't the type of franchise to stay out of competing for the playoffs for very long. That tends to garner plenty of player loyalty knowing their organization has those goals and expectations.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021

Was going to say Oilers as well. Looking at the cap space, and with expansion looming also? I’m sure they would be in the mix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad