Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Dubas and keefe making this team a safe space is what screwed us. Now the boys get to deal with a hard ass.
Do not disagree. And I get what they were trying to do, but they went too far with it. Participation medals for all; how else do you get an organization praising itself for winning at most 5 games in a playoff season and feeling they are 'right there'?

I put more of that blame on Dubas personally. We could see Keefe's persona was different under Tre. A bit less proper/nice/soft... which you need to win in a professional league.

Reactions: yubbers

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I suspect he wasn't allowed to.
You're probably right when Dubas was here, but with Tre on board and a shiney new 2 year contract extension he should've been bag-skating this team 'til they cried, at least the one player who we'd all expect to be the one crying

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Just wish Keefe bag-skated this team even ONCE during his time here. I never read a story of him cracking the whip after they came up with a Tuesday night snore-fest where they'd lose to the league's worst teams 5-1 or whatnot.

He should've used that tactic at least once a year on this group of softies.

Also, he never should've taken back criticism of his team because of the shambles in their heads. He should've doubled down on it if anything
He's a players coach. Never seems to get angry, doesn't bench star players etc... Babcock was a tough coach, so they did a 180 and tried a more chill coach to appease star players who can rack up pts. Surprisingly, the exact same results (although Babs had a final bad partial season when fired for Keefe).

It might not even be the coach. You can put Scotty Bowman or the late Al Arbour in as coach. The players have enough talent to win and score in reg season and fail in the playoffs. Same shit, different shape.

If the players cant or wont change, there's nothing the coach can really do. He'll then be blamed as a failure for not motivating players to change their mentality.

but assuming Berube is the guy, maybe he can.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don't care where he goes or what we get back. All that matters is that we can reallocate the 11 million dollars. We are losing every Marner trade. Period. And, if he wants to walk into RFA status, so be it. We still get the 11 million, albeit a year later.

Agree with you, he wants to be here. I have never questioned his desire to win and win here. But we don't need him to do that imo. He is more of a hindrance than anything, especially in the playoffs.
I’m not trying to argue not to trade him at all. This team needs major changes.

My argument is more that most of the trade proposals I see sending him to teams like Seattle for a strong return are unrealistic.
He has a full NMC. He has all the power.

Reactions: horner and Da Mash

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Brind'Amour is a UFA coach... when do coach contracts actually end?
he had an offer, and it was pulled, but, he likely wants to stay there, but, he's never had the firepower the Leafs have, and we can sign some of his UFA d-men, they have 3 and i'd target them all. and hope for 1-2 of them at least
Looking at all the defensemen available there is no reason not to grab two i.e Pesche, Tanev,Montour. We cant neglect that back end anymore.

Reactions: horner

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
If Berube thought the Leafs job was available, he would have waited imo.
It's also worth noting that Berube moved back to the Philadelphia area in recent years and is only an hour or so away from the Devils facility.

Family has to be a consideration. I don't think Toronto is the slam dunk everyone thinks it is. Then again, sometimes money talks.

Reactions: BallardEra

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I’m not trying to argue not to trade him at all. This team needs major changes.

My argument is more that most of the trade proposals I see sending him to teams like Seattle for a strong return are unrealistic.
He has a full NMC. He has all the power.
I dont agree. Marner may find a new coach is not to his liking.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Yeah...Marner will want to waive.....if not.....Leafs hands are tied. And no...they wont force him out. That is so unprofessional. Free Agents will never sign here if they stoop that low.

Hopefully something can be done. We just have to spend our cap dollars more wisely and
let some of the young guys play.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
.....and within minutes the Toronto media was elevating Sheldon to Scotty status :)

Hopeful for a coach that has the energy and skills to get these guys to go above and beyond.

It was time for Sheldon to go, even if he did just coach his 3 best games for the Leafs.

I do think this is just the first shoe to drop, but maybe the right coach and a few tweaks lets us play out next year and then come out of the gate in 25-26 like a rocket with a retooled roster and a new attitude.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
True. Do you think Tampa is going to give us that?
50/50.

If they aren't resigning him, and Jon himself says he needs a new project or change of scenery. Then, due to their success, maybe...

Burke left Anaheim midseason after the Leafs asked for permission, so it has happened.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I could actually see the opposite, a coach saying they want a chance to work with marner.

True, but the notion of winning with 3 forwards making over $35M? Come on. Only a coach with a Babcock-sized ego would even believe they can.

Besides that, for the new guy to have any chance to succeed the team (that is, Treliving & the new coach) have to make clear to each player/star individually that the new coach is the boss, and what he says goes, period.

The inmates (aka the core) can no longer run the asylum as they did under Babcock (flying down to Arizona to make peace with Matthews was *not* his idea) and Keefe (rolling back every criticism he made of the stars first thing the next morning).

If the new coach wants to spread the ice time out more, for example, or spread the talent over both power plays then the players need to shut up and accept it. Otherwise, the Leafs are announcing another fired coach 3-4 years from now.

Reactions: ToneDog

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Looking at all the defensemen available there is no reason not to grab two i.e Pesche, Tanev,Montour. We cant neglect that back end anymore.
I wouldnt mind a blend that could come in at a lower cap hit and completely give the D an overhaul grab Roy, Zadorov and Chatfiled ...these 3 should come in under 15 mil. but, there are always some crazy GM's out there, so, maybe not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad