Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
My Alford comment was meant as praise for his hitting so far. Add a triple today to his HR last game. He's off to a good start.

And now a double.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting he has a legitimate shot at opening the season on the big league roster. He doesn't unless there's a devastating rash of injuries. That's why I said it would be "amazing" if it happened.

I was 100% serious about leading off Opening Day 2019, though. That's absolutely happening.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey I wouldn't be at all upset if they ditched Morales or Pearce if Alford earns his way onto the team.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Alford had accrued 0.07 years service time, I suspect he will come up around the .4 remaining Mark or 10 weeks before the end of the season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Hey I wouldn't be at all upset if they ditched Morales or Pearce if Alford earns his way onto the team.

Getting rid of one of them (preferably Morales, though... I still like Pearce to be an impact hitter this year) and giving the roster spot to Alford or Hernandez would be great just for the versatility it would provide.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't believe it was mentioned here yet but the Jays farm clocked in at #9 on the MLB.com list (Dodgers were 10th).

MLB.com 2018 Prospect Watch

Best tools
Players are graded on a 20-80 scouting scale for future tools -- 20-30 is well below average, 40 is below average, 50 is average, 60 is above average and 70-80 is well above average. Players in parentheses have the same grade.
Hit: 80 - Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
Power: 65 - Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
Run: 70 - Anthony Alford
Arm: 60 - Richard Urena (Reese McGuire, Hagen Danner)
Defense: 60 - Reese McGuire (Anthony Alford, Kevin Vicuna)
Fastball: 70 - Nate Pearson
Curveball: 60 - Eric Pardinho
Slider: 55 - Nate Pearson (T.J. Zeuch, Carlos Ramirez, Jordan Romano)
Changeup: 60 - Ryan Borucki
Control: 60 - Ryan Borucki

Some pretty aggressive ranks in there. Would've expected Adams to be higher, but they only gave him a 50 in power. Also took Zach Jackson off the list after a pretty dominating 2017 (albeit as an older guy in A/A+).

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don’t understand why we re upped zeke. Seems like potentially burnt money

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t understand why we re upped zeke. Seems like potentially burnt money

Arbitration contracts are partially-guaranteed. 1.9m contract - 300k termination pay = 1.6m freed up. Oh signed for 1.75m, so they spent 150k to essentially trade Carrera for him. And this doesn't even take into account that if they find a suitor, there is no burnt money.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I feel if Alford didn't get hurt last season then we likely wouldn't have acquired one of Grichuk or Granderson.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wow, some surprises. Taylor at 13 and there are a few younger international prospects that made it as well.

Taylor is a big time sleeper for me, but sitting 13 already seems like jumping the gun. I do like him a lot though. He's got a lot more pop than you'd expect for someone his size.

I'm also a little surprised to see Adams behind some of the names he was ranked after. I really like his bat.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We should all be hoping for continued growth with Alford this season with better health in the minors. He started playing baseball late and further development of his skills is needed before he can become a constant contributor and regular in our lineup.

I would like to see him start the season in AAA with a call up in September, this of course depends on injuries and such. But even with that being said, I would let him stay in AAA and bring up Hernandez, Pompey first if we need replacements and they are healthy. Let Alford develop no need to rush him

Reactions: doorman

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Would Siddall consider this a promotion? He's off the radio, but he also isn't commentating for 9 innings.

Does this mean less Kevin Barker? I'm all for it.

Will be interesting to see now what they do with the radio broadcast booth since both positions have to be filled. As long as it doesn't mean more Wilner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00