Blue Jays Discussion: Almost through the off-season - Bautista keeping his bat-flipping talents in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Already have too many corner infielders. Reyes is a 3B now, Wright is a 3B\1B. Plus Ty Kelly 3B\1B on the 40-man, and Dom Smith on the 40-man (their Rowdy).

They also have too many OF.

The idea isn't that Smoak is a perfect fit for them. It's that it may be preferable to giving the Jays a bunch of money to make Bruce go away.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Morales was worth 0.7war last year and projects to 0.9 this year.

The OF-OF comparison is far more apt.

I would be really interested in a more in-depth comparison of the three using ZiPS. Unfortunately the Mets ZiPS aren't out yet, so we don't know how they'll see Bruce. I can't imagine it's much more than half of Saunders/Morales.

Saunders - 1.7 zWAR
Morales - 2.0 zWAR

Regardless, if we buy the Steamer projections, that gives you:

Saunders - 0.7 WAR, $9 million
Morales - 0.9 WAR, $11 million
Bruce - 0.4 WAR, $13 million

Just combining Saunders and Morales give you $12.5 million per WAR. That puts Bruce at a value of $5 million.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
They also have too many OF.

The idea isn't that Smoak is a perfect fit for them. It's that it may be preferable to giving the Jays a bunch of money to make Bruce go away.

I understand completely, and I'm not trying to be overly critical. I'm simply saying that if I'm the Mets, there's a long list of trades I make prior to considering that one.

For example, I'd call the A's and see if they would do Ryan Madson for Jay Bruce trade. That solves my money issue, plus removes the logjam, plus gives me an arm my bullpen.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Any possibility of Brandon Moss coming to the Jays in light of Bautista coming back?

I really wanted him to platoon in LF with Upton but with Saunders getting 9M i doubt Moss goes for less so that is outside our price range.

That and re-sign Bautista and Zeke pretty much means we are done in the OF in my opinion. Gibby loves Zeke.

Rest of the money likley goes to the pen and back up catcher.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I understand completely, and I'm not trying to be overly critical. I'm simply saying that if I'm the Mets, there's a long list of trades I make prior to considering that one.

For example, I'd call the A's and see if they would do Ryan Madson for Jay Bruce trade. That solves my money issue, plus removes the logjam, plus gives me an arm my bullpen.

Oh absolutely, I'm sure there are plenty of other options. I just think, between the Jays and Mets, including Smoak makes sense. And I think it's the kind of thing the Mets may have to eventually settle for since Bruce appears to have very, very limited trade value.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I really wanted him to platoon in LF with Upton but with Saunders getting 9M i doubt Moss goes for less so that is outside our price range.

That and re-sign Bautista and Zeke pretty much means we are done in the OF in my opinion. Gibby loves Zeke.

Rest of the money likley goes to the pen and back up catcher.

The could easily move Zeke if they want. I'm hoping they do, since he's out of options and not a great fit.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I like Cutch and Watson but thats i high price to pay. Ill take Bautista, potentially a FA reliever and those prospects over Cutch and Watson any day.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I like Cutch and Watson but thats i high price to pay. Ill take Bautista, potentially a FA reliever and those prospects over Cutch and Watson any day.

Not even remotely close. I mean... Biagini has significantly higher value than Watson, but even if you want to be super generous and call them even, it boils down to Guerrero, Reid-Foley, Rowdy, Ramirez for McCutchen. It's a hilariously misinformed "rumour".

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Not even remotely close. I mean... Biagini has significantly higher value than Watson, but even if you want to be super generous and call them even, it boils down to Guerrero, Reid-Foley, Rowdy, Ramirez for McCutchen. It's a hilariously misinformed "rumour".

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

I am saying i wouldnt make that "rumored" deal. I prefer Bautista, a FA reliever and all those prospects easily over Cutch and Watson.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I took it down - never heard of the site and sounded like Eklund material
Like Ek good for a laugh though

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011

I call shenanigans on this right away! Trading away Tellez, Vladdy and SRF would go totally against Shapiro's MO. He would never mortgage that much of the future, especially on a reliever (even if he is a lefty) and an over 30 guy coming off an injury and a down season.

Pitt may have asked for those players, but I'm pretty sure the answer was an immediate no.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He only deserves one year, he's old, HR's dried up as well! Is anyone going to actually pay him a kings ransom on a multi year?

Well, he was injured...so his stats weren't padded.

That being said, he still produced in the playoffs...great value for the Jays this year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not sure what you are trying to say here.

I am saying i wouldnt make that "rumored" deal. I prefer Bautista, a FA reliever and all those prospects easily over Cutch and Watson.

I know. I'm agreeing with you. I'm just taking it a step further. You said it's a "high price" and I'm saying it's beyond that to the point where it's absolutely absurd to consider it an actual rumour.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I know. I'm agreeing with you. I'm just taking it a step further. You said it's a "high price" and I'm saying it's beyond that to the point where it's absolutely absurd to consider it an actual rumour.

Ah i see.. Makes sense.

I really like Watson though. But not at 5 years of Biagini.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Ah i see.. Makes sense.

I really like Watson though. But not at 5 years of Biagini.

Exactly. Watson would be a great addition, but it would be stupid to trade five years of control of a very good RHP for a single, far more expensive year of a LHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia