Blue Jays Discussion: Almost through the off-season - Bautista keeping his bat-flipping talents in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
does it? he left and saw FA and NOW after unknown amount of refused (I doubt there was 1) offers he "never wanted to leave TO?", I think if another team swooped in now and offered the same contract on the table before the jays he would sign it. It wont happen due to 1st round pick so it is very easy to say "never wanted to play anywhere else"

So you're saying you don't believe Passan?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I for one am looking forward to his infinite RISP inning ending at bats.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Uh... no. It likely means they were willing to be patient.

Were they though?

It appears to me that they had moved on from Bautista, and when they realized they couldn't improve in other ways, doubled back to him as a last resort.

This doesn't, in any way, appear to have been the Blue Jays master plan from day 1.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
does it? he left and saw FA and NOW after unknown amount of refused (I doubt there was 1) offers he "never wanted to leave TO?", I think if another team swooped in now and offered the same contract on the table before the jays he would sign it. It wont happen due to 1st round pick so it is very easy to say "never wanted to play anywhere else"

He was pretty vocal about wanting to be a Jay. Yeah, he looked around, but why is that a problem when he's still coming back? If you loved your job, but your contract to work for that company was up, and there was several other companies in the same field, in other wonderful cities who were willing to make offers to you, while your previous employer said that you should take in other offers to be sure you're happy with what you're getting, would you be like "No, let me just sign that contract with your right now. Doesn't matter that I have 3.5 months to make a decision anyway!"?

Jose had earned the right to be a Free Agent. Free being the key part. No matter how much he loves Toronto and wanted to come back, he'd have been an idiot not to see if there was a team willing to pay him $100M.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He was pretty vocal about wanting to be a Jay. Yeah, he looked around, but why is that a problem when he's still coming back? If you loved your job, but your contract to work for that company was up, and there was several other companies in the same field, in other wonderful cities who were willing to make offers to you, while your previous employer said that you should take in other offers to be sure you're happy with what you're getting, would you be like "No, let me just sign that contract with your right now. Doesn't matter that I have 3.5 months to make a decision anyway!"?

Jose had earned the right to be a Free Agent. Free being the key part. No matter how much he loves Toronto and wanted to come back, he'd have been an idiot not to see if there was a team willing to pay him $100M.

yeah ok, just seems like they have been talking only the last week or so until then there was 0 about Bautista anywhere he was looking for biggest payday which automatically takes out "always wanted Toronto" narrative for me, I doubt he turned down any conract that came before last week because until talking to the jays again it seemed dicey for him.

edit: couple that with the "to me ive given them a 5 year home town discount" doesn't sound like a guy looking to stay with one particular team.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'd love to know what big money offers Bautista turned down. I have a hard time believing it.

He's by far the best free agent still available and there are plenty of teams where he would fit, so it makes sense that there would be interest. No one's saying he turned down massive offers to return to Toronto.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He's by far the best free agent still available and there are plenty of teams where he would fit, so it makes sense that there would be interest. No one's saying he turned down massive offers to return to Toronto.

Bigger money offers is what he tweeted and I have a hard time believing that. But, I'm on board with the signing, don't get me wrong.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
yeah ok, just seems like they have been talking only the last week or so until then there was 0 about Bautista anywhere he was looking for biggest payday which automatically takes out "always wanted Toronto" narrative for me, I doubt he turned down any conract that came before last week because until talking to the jays again it seemed dicey for him.

edit: couple that with the "to me ive given them a 5 year home town discount" doesn't sound like a guy looking to stay with one particular team.

It's likely his last chance at a big(ish) money contract. It makes sense that he would be looking for the most money possible. That doesn't contradict a desire to stay in Toronto.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

I think people assume and almost rightfully so when comments are made by "insiders and sources" that player X left money and years on the table. Personally I don't see it because as much as someone loves it somewhere more often then not, they will take the bigger payday and term, especially when you're nearing the end of your career.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bigger money offers is what he tweeted and I have a hard time believing that. But, I'm on board with the signing, don't get me wrong.

Right, "bigger money". So, presumably, more than $40 million. Considering the offseason predictions and his projections going forward, I don't think it's a stretch at all.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
After the Morales, I had said it made more sense to bring Jose back than Edwin and I am glad to see the team doing that. I'm interested to see what the contract will look like.

It seems like it may be a two year deal which makes a lot of sense since Jays are giving up the chance of getting a draft pick, so getting him for a couple of years in the same time frame as the window to compete makes sense and it would be the same time Donaldson hits the market as well. It would also allow for the team to kinda blow it up if they happen to suck by this year's trade deadline (hopefully not).

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
L m

Only jays fans would be upset about bringing back arguably the best jay ever, who clearly loves playing here.

why do they hate him again? because he called out rogers for being cheap?

Might be the attitude :dunno:

I think he'll bounce back and I'm glad to have him back but I can see why some don't want him back

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I'm happy to have him back, especially if he's making under 20 and it's on the reported 2 year deal (or 1 with an option). The biggest concern was him wanting 25+ and 5 years or whatever craziness.

Hopefully next year is a bounce-back season before he finally declines entirely due to age and injuries and we get some good value from him.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Saunders off to Philly. Looks like he was our plan D if Joey passed.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I love JB the player and he's been a monster for the Jays for years. One of the best to don the uniform.

But he does have a way of coming off as a jackass now and then. In games and out.

Happy to have him back for a few years though.
I think in a year or 2 people will be happy about EE too (not signing him to 4 years)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
1 year + a club option for Bautista is much better. Gives the Jays control over his 2nd year. Hope the report is right.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hopefully he comes back as the DH and doesn't see the outfield.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If Bautista's arm is back to normal then he would be fine in the OF. I doubt it'll be completely normal again, given that it wasn't better over the last year and a half, but the arm seems like the key for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest