Blue Jays Discussion: Almost through the off-season - Bautista keeping his bat-flipping talents in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was hoping we had seen the last of Bautista.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Tak7 said:
So, does the Blue Jays doubling back on Bautista, mean ultimate confirmtion that their off-season plan failed?

Uh... no. It likely means they were willing to be patient.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Not a great deal know what we have read and what we perceived his value to be but things are much different behind the scenes then what we see.

Its not a bargain of a deal but it isnt an overpay based on predictions;

MLBTR predicted he was getting 51M over 3.
Fangraphs predicted 75M over 3, 65.3M over 3 and 60M over 3.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017-top-50-free-agents/
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/2016-17-top-50-mlb-free-agents-predictions.html

I am not too crazy about the deal either thinking you could get him for less but clearly like most of us we were wrong. But glad to have Jose back.

--------------------

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jose-bautista-fighting-decline/

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Was hoping we had seen the last of Bautista.

Clearly, you weren't the only one. His attitude certainly seems very anti-geterdonegoodoldcanadianboy.

I, for one, am glad the Blue Jays signed the arguably the best free agent hitter available to an undermarket, short-term deal. Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think it's a fair deal, value wise, for Jose but with it being such short term I think that's a big benefit to the Jays for future flexibility ... And there could be good payoff if Jose can stay relatively healthy and the Jays are able to minimize his playing time in RF (which is my main concern right now).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Clearly, you weren't the only one. His attitude certainly seems very anti-geterdonegoodoldcanadianboy.

I, for one, am glad the Blue Jays signed the arguably the best free agent hitter available to an undermarket, short-term deal. Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

Yeah, not a fan of the selfish types. You're right though, me first types are very anti-Canadian.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
At this point. If we can add a guy like angel legal for cheap. He would be a solid add in left field. And round out our line up decentyly well

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

While this kiboshes my post in the last topic, nice to see two star-type guys in DeMar/Jose who really want to play here.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah, not a fan of the selfish types. You're right though, me first types are very anti-Canadian.

Yeah, real selfish. Willing to play multiple positions, bat lead-off, then bat 4th after essentially being the franchises 3 hole hitter for half a decade. Play through toe, knee and shoulder injuries. Do whatever it takes to win while openly hating the competition. Teammates love him for some strange reason.

Only people who seem to subscribe to the selfish, crappy guy narrative seem to be Jays fans who tend to like a very specific type of player, local media, Rangers fans, Orioles fans and Royal fans. People who's sensitivities I peronally care absolutely nothing about.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jays last 3 years:

Vs LHP

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...038,3531,13862,12434,5015,9048,4616,9054,2430

Name wRC+
Josh Donaldson 170
Troy Tulowitzki 159
Jose Bautista 149
Steve Pearce 145
Ezequiel Carrera 125
Russell Martin 119
Kendrys Morales 115
Darwin Barney 112
Melvin Upton Jr. 106
Devon Travis 99
Kevin Pillar 91
Justin Smoak 82

vs. RHP

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...3862,12434,5015,9048,4616,9054,2430&sort=17,d

Name wRC+
Jose Bautista 144
Josh Donaldson 139
Devon Travis 124
Steve Pearce 125
Troy Tulowitzki 107
Russell Martin 116
Kendrys Morales 104
Justin Smoak 97
Kevin Pillar 86
Melvin Upton Jr. 76
Ezequiel Carrera 75
Darwin Barney 72

Really would want another bat to platoon in LF. Dont want to see Upton going against RHP or even Zeke. Crazy that Zeke has much better numbers vs lefties than righties.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

While this kiboshes my post in the last topic, nice to see two star-type guys in DeMar/Jose who really want to play here.

because he'll get and has endorsement deals in toronto. What is jose bautista in other market than toronto? Significantly less significant. He'll make the money back and more in endorsement deals he wouldnt get anywhere else.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Only jays fans would be upset about bringing back arguably the best jay ever, who clearly loves playing here.

why do they hate him again? because he called out rogers for being cheap?

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Only jays fans would be upset about bringing back arguably the best jay ever, who clearly loves playing here.

I wouldn't say i'm "upset"... to be honest, as bad as the deal is, I'm a tad relieved. I too was ready to let him go, but the way the off-season has gone, without him we were much much worse as a team. The bleeding has been stopped... that's the way i'm looking at this. Now, to heal the wound with some LHP & LHH from ... somewhere?:clittle:

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto

Yea I don't really get it either. I'm ecstatic that he's back.

Would've really sucked to see both Bautista and Encarnacion playing for another team. Glad they retained at least one.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I wouldn't say i'm "upset"... to be honest, as bad as the deal is, I'm a tad relieved. I too was ready to let him go, but the way the off-season has gone, without him we were much much worse as a team. The bleeding has been stopped... that's the way i'm looking at this. Now, to heal the wound with some LHP & LHH from ... somewhere?:clittle:

What is the deal?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

bad?

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

I have mixed feelings about Jose returning to be honest, he could be a great add, yes, he could also be a serious distraction. Motivated he could be a huge plus, but the running of his mouth and bulletin board material needs to stop.

Also not sure how being a top 5 MLB payroll team makes Rogers cheap?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I don't know that much about the three guys you mentioned. Anyone of them you prefer?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

does it? he left and saw FA and NOW after unknown amount of refused (I doubt there was 1) offers he "never wanted to leave TO?", I think if another team swooped in now and offered the same contract on the table before the jays he would sign it. It wont happen due to 1st round pick so it is very easy to say "never wanted to play anywhere else"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->