All-Time Draft #5

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Good pick with Pilote.

For a change, I`m going to draft somebody that I`m actually old enough to have seen play.

The Ottawa 67s select.......

Billy Smith

And I pity the forward who stands in his crease.

No player in NHL history better defines the term "money player" than Billy Smith. He was very good in the regular season, but phenomenal in the playoffs. His lifetime playoff won-loss record of 88-36 (.710) is second only to Ken Dryden. For several years, Smith shared the Isles goalie duties with Chico Resch; but in 1980 he finally was given a chance to go the distance in the playoffs, and he delivered a Stanley Cup. Then another the next year. Then another the year after that. His greatest triumph was in 1983, the Isles opponent in the Final was Edmonton and many experts were picking the Oilers take them. Smith had other plans, he totally neutered the Oilers high-powered 400+ goal offence. In a 4 game sweep he only allowed a total of 6 goals with a ridiculous save percentage of .953.
Smith was hated by many fans during his prime for his penchant of whacking his stick at player`s ankles. In his mind it was justified; the crease was legally his area and if a forward was trespassing then Smith would evict him. It was nothing personal- he`d whack his own defencemen if they were screening him. Several people were put off by his refusal to shake hands after beating a team in the playoffs, but he thought the routine was hypocritical.
He devised exercises to keep his reflexes sharp; sometimes he would spend hours throwing a rubber ball against a wall and catching it. Hockey was serious for him. On gamedays he wouldn`t talk to anybody, he`d just concentrate on the game. He simply devoted all his physical and mental energy towards one goal- winning.
http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/smithb.html
http://www.oldtimershockey.com/players/billy_smith.html
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_oneononep199304.htm
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_pinnaclep199304.htm

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
The Alberta Oilers really wanted to solidify the top three with a Lidstrom, Fetisov or Pilote but with them now gone, they turn their attention to and fill a need for center quite nicely with: Gilbert Perreault

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Would have liked to get Perreault this round but there still some great center ice men out there and with picks # 44 & #45 the Teepees wil select 2 of them:

With #44 select Milt Scmidt. With #45 select Max Bently the "Dipsy Doodle Dandy from Delisle"

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nice picks from all corners. Pilote, Schmidt, Bentley. Can't go wrong with those guys. Smith never won a lot of regular season awards, but he was always there when you needed him, he won the big games, and he four awards that matter the most: Stanley Cups. Perrault went right about where he should. (I'm guessing Pilote is that all-time great defenceman we were referring to earlier who doesn't get the respect he deserves because he plays for Chicago. Frankly, I think it's because he's viewed as a transitional Norris winner - filling the gap between the Harvey and Orr eras - but he's still one of the best blue-liners ever.

Anyways, the Trail Smoke Eaters are thrilled to announce the selection of a player who enjoyed a seven-year level of dominance that has been matched by few:

G Bill Durnan

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...?mem=p196402&type=Player&page=bio&list=ByName

Career highlights:
*Two Stanley Cup championships (1944 and 1946)
*Allan Cup champion during the Second World War (1940), when many of the best players were outside of the NHL
*Inducted into the HHOF in 1964
*Six-time Vezina Trophy winner (back when the Vezina was awarded to the goal with the best goals against average)
*Six-time first team all-star
*212 wins in only eight seasons, and had nearly twice as many wins as defeats.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
The Springfield Indians are proud to select the greatest defenceman to ever pull on a maple leaf's jersey, Tim Horton.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Nice picks from all corners. Pilote, Schmidt, Bentley. Can't go wrong with those guys. Smith never won a lot of regular season awards, but he was always there when you needed him, he won the big games, and he four awards that matter the most: Stanley Cups. Perrault went right about where he should. (I'm guessing Pilote is that all-time great defenceman we were referring to earlier who doesn't get the respect he deserves because he plays for Chicago. Frankly, I think it's because he's viewed as a transitional Norris winner - filling the gap between the Harvey and Orr eras - but he's still one of the best blue-liners ever.
Yup. I was talking about Pilote. The numbers can be seen but he was a great hitter too. Beliveau pretty much owned game 7 of the 1965 final from the opening buzzer, but Pilote hit him with one of the nicest (and clean) hits I've ever seen. I've always been a Potvin fan and, in limited veiwings, seen some of the same things in Pilote.

Anyway great picks guys and thank you for keeping up the pace. This draft is the best I've been a part of.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
the North Stars are proud to select the second Hull of the draft, and keeping with the offensive scheme...

Brett Hull

write-up coming..

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
#66 said:
Yup. I was talking about Pilote. The numbers can be seen but he was a great hitter too. Beliveau pretty much owned game 7 of the 1965 final from the opening buzzer, but Pilote hit him with one of the nicest (and clean) hits I've ever seen. I've always been a Potvin fan and, in limited veiwings, seen some of the same things in Pilote.

Anyway great picks guys and thank you for keeping up the pace. This draft is the best I've been a part of.
I knew it would be a great draft when I saw the names associated with it. Guys like reckoning, Hockey Outsider, murray and pnep are regulars around this part of the History of Hockey board, they know their history and they seem to know how to construct a winning team.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
I knew it would be a great draft when I saw the names associated with it. Guys like reckoning, Hockey Outsider, murray and pnep are regulars around this part of the History of Hockey board, they know their history and they seem to know how to construct a winning team.
Yep. I do more lurking but I know all the names, including yourself, and it looked like a good one from the start.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Agreed on all points. Every pick has been solid, it's going to be next to impossible to swindle anyone around here.

I'm just throwing this out there as I'm a little impatient sometimes but I'd like to try and do a draft like this live. I don't know if its possible but if it was, it would be a hoot.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Its going to be interesting to see if I can find some great compliment players for Hull and Bossy. Both are amazing players, but also relied on their linemates considerably. I should have a dynamite attack if I can find these players.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Hey, sorry for taking so long, I had a party I had to run for the masters and I did not expect you guys to move so quickly, I like it though.

Anyway, the Metropolitans are proud to select a personal favourite of mine Frank Mahovlich.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
kruezer said:
Hey, sorry for taking so long, I had a party I had to run for the masters and I did not expect you guys to move so quickly, I like it though.

Anyway, the Metropolitans are proud to select a personal favourite of mine Frank Mahovlich.
The No. 3 LW of all-time (after B. Hull and Lindsay) with the 50th pick? You can't do much better than that.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
The No. 3 LW of all-time (after B. Hull and Lindsay) with the 50th pick? You can't do much better than that.
Well since in the #4 draft I got Mahovlich at 56 and Schmidt at 62, I'd say you can, but I'm also afraid my draft expectations will need to be adjusted.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I made copies of the first 4 drafts and put them on a spreadsheet to somewhat predict when players would get chosen so I wouldn`t waste an early pick on a player who would still be available later on. It`s been fairly accurate until now. I had Clint Benedict projected for the 15th round; so much for my sytem.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Seattle is proud to select a guy who has had his career marred by injuries, but that I believe belongs among the best playmakers ever to play hockey Peter Forsberg.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
the Northstars select one of the smartest defensemen ever, and the key reason behind the Rangers winning the cup in 1994. He is known as one of the smartest players in NHL history, and had amazing skating and vision.

D - Brian Leetch.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Springfield breathes a collective sigh of relief as the Indians finally draft a goaltender in Vladislav Tretiak.

"He was the most complete goaltender I ever played against"-Guy Lalfeur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad