All-Time Draft #5

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
God Bless Canada said:
I think he went in the second round to reckoning. No way he would have dropped this far.

lol, I've been peeing myself for two days.... I totally missed him being picked in the second round and thought I had the steal of the draft.....

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Detroit will add Russian great, RW Sergei Makarov

USSR First All-Star Team - 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988
USSR's leading scorer - 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
USSR Player of the Year - 1980, 1985, 1989
Canada Cup All-Star Team - 1984
Named Best Forward at WEC-A - 1979, 1985
Calder Memorial Trophy - 1990

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Spitfire11 said:
Nice picks...I was going to take Moore with my next one
I was really looking at Moore (and another player) when I picked Cyclone Taylor. Taylor's versatility put him over the top for my pick. (Plus, I'm from B.C. originally, and Cyclone Taylor is an icon out there). Cook was about fifth on my list for that pick.

BTW, is there a better eligible player not in the HHOF than Sergei Makarov?

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
:leafs select a great money goalie 5 time stanley cup champion

Turk Broda, G

For days afterward, newspaper articles showed the smiling goalie sitting on a scale eating steak or drinking juice for dinner in an effort to lose the poundage.

He was discovered by Leafs owner Conn Smythe, who was in Detroit to check out another goalie, Earl Robertson. But when Smythe saw Broda at the other end, he immediately contacted Jack Adams of the Red Wings about acquiring Broda, which he did for just $7,500 cash. Broda joined the Leafs that fall and remained the crease guardian in Toronto for most of the next 15 years.
Turk's outgoing style made him hugely popular with Leafs fans and loved by his teammates. "The Leafs pay me for my work in practices," he joked, "and I throw in the games for free." His first stint with the Leafs lasted until 1943 and included the historic Cup of 1942, when the Leafs rebounded from a 3-0 series deficit to beat Detroit in seven games. But in 1943 Broda joined the army and went off to England for two years, primarily to play hockey

When he was discharged in 1945, he went straight to the Gardens and resumed practicing with the team. He was back in the nets, and there he stayed for four more Stanley Cup finals, three in a row from 1947 to 1949 and one more in 1951 in which all five games went into overtime against Montreal. "I couldn't beat him. Toe Blake couldn't. None of the Canadiens could," Maurice Richard said after that series. Broda played the entire season in goal in eight of his 11 seasons, and part of two others, leading the league in shutouts twice. But for all his fame and glory, he's also remembered for his weight problems, which Conn Smythe used as a kind of playful publicity stunt.

Smythe ended Broda's run of more than 200 starts in a row when he ordered Broda out of the goal until he got his weight down to 189 pounds. For days afterward, newspaper articles showed the smiling goalie sitting on a scale eating steak or drinking juice for dinner in an effort to lose the poundage. Broda joined a fitness club and took up handball to stay lean, and his wife, Betty, became famous for being the one person who could help him lose weight and save the city's team.

Coach Hap Day had to constantly ride him to keep his reflexes sharp and his weight down, making him face shooters without a stick for 15 minutes every practice, and trailing him while skating laps, shouting for him to “join the race.†But there wasn’t a more clutch goaltender in the history of hockey. In 12 full years, WWII cost him 2 full years and the most of a third, he won 5 Stanley Cups, and got Toronto to the Finals 8 times. His solid 2.53 goals against average became a stellar 1.98 in the playoffs. Jack Adams said, “Turk Broda didn’t have a nerve in his whole body. He could tend goal in a tornado and never blink an eye

He retired after playing only one game in the 1951-52 season. Broda was accorded a special night at the Gardens by Conn Smythe, one of the rarest honors bestowed upon a Leaf. That night came on December 22, 1951, and players and executives from Toronto, the opposing Bruins and every other NHL team gathered to pay respects to one of the greatest goalies of all time.

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1967.

NHL Totals 629 302 224 101 62 2.53

Playoff Totals 101 60 39 13 1.98

First All-Star Team Goalie (1941, 1948)
Second All-Star Team Goalie (1942)
Vezina Trophy (1941, 1948)

Traded to Toronto by Detroit (Detroit-IHL) for $8,000, May 6, 1936

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Murphy2 said:
lol, I've been peeing myself for two days.... I totally missed him being picked in the second round and thought I had the steal of the draft.....

Yeah...there's something about Morenz I think Evil Sather did the exact same thing last draft

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select Newsy Lalonde. I underrated him in the "greatest pre-50's players" post a few months ago but I've learned the error of my ways.

Lalonde was one of the greatest playoff performers of all time. In 1918 he led the NHL playoffs in goals and assists, and had twice as many points as the runner-up as Montreal defeated Toronto in a two-game set. Then, in 1919, he had more goals than anyone else had points in the NHL playoffs, before finishing second in scoring in the Stanley Cup finals (vs the PCHA Metropolitans). On March 22, he scored all four of his team's goals in a 4-2 victory over Seattle, which remains one of the most dominant single-game performances in playoff history.

Lalonde (who was also an excellent lacrosse player) led the NHL in scoring twice and was runner-up once. He also led the NHA and PCHA in scoring once each.

"He was scoring champion five times in the National Hockey Association, Pacific Coast Hockey Association and National Hockey League, an unprecedented feat in the major professional ranks and unsurpassed until Gordie Howe's sixth scoring title in 1963. From 1910 to 1954, he held the record for the most goals scored by a major league hockey player -- a record of 441 goals later broken by Maurice Richard." -- Wikipedia

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hockey Outsider said:
The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select Newsy Lalonde. I underrated him in the "greatest pre-50's players" post a few months ago but I've learned the error of my ways.

Lalonde was one of the greatest playoff performers of all time. In 1918 he led the NHL playoffs in goals and assists, and had twice as many points as the runner-up as Montreal defeated Toronto in a two-game set. Then, in 1919, he had more goals than anyone else had points in the NHL playoffs, before finishing second in scoring in the Stanley Cup finals (vs the PCHA Metropolitans). On March 22, he scored all four of his team's goals in a 4-2 victory over Seattle, which remains one of the most dominant single-game performances in playoff history.

Lalonde (who was also an excellent lacrosse player) led the NHL in scoring twice and was runner-up once. He also led the NHA and PCHA in scoring once each.

"He was scoring champion five times in the National Hockey Association, Pacific Coast Hockey Association and National Hockey League, an unprecedented feat in the major professional ranks and unsurpassed until Gordie Howe's sixth scoring title in 1963. From 1910 to 1954, he held the record for the most goals scored by a major league hockey player -- a record of 441 goals later broken by Maurice Richard." -- Wikipedia
B*stard. I was starting to get that gleam in my eyes, thinking he might fall to me at No. 12 this round. I think he was 10 or 11 on my list, ahead of many of the modern centres picked lately.

Maybe the best steal of the draft. (Although Apps at 60 and Geoffrion at 61 are right up there).

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I`ve gone back and forth trying to decide between two defencemen, time to make a decision.

The Ottawa 67s select....

Bill Gadsby

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Last edited:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
provided Hedberg is around tonight, I should be able to pick late tonight/early this morning. I will be up studying for finals.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
The Minnesota North Stars are proud to select C - Peter Stastny. We haven't decided if he will centre Bossy or Hull yet. :)

"After Wayne Gretzky, Peter Stastny was the most prolific scorer in the NHL in the 1980s."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad