All-Time Draft #5

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
The St Catherines Teepees (murray) trades picks #11 & # 24 to the Sakatoon Blues (AG) for Bobby Hull & #44. Biography of Hull to follow later.

AG, your turn.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
murray said:
The St Catherines Teepees (murray) trades picks #11 & # 24 to the Sakatoon Blues (AG) for Bobby Hull & #44. Biography of Hull to follow later.

AG, your turn.
Why doesn't that trade surprise me? :)

I was thinking of posting something to the effect of "Who will murray draft now?".

Zetterberg4Captain*

The Saskatoon Blues would like to select Guy Lafleur.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
BM67 said:
Why doesn't that trade surprise me? :)

I was thinking of posting something to the effect of "Who will murray draft now?".
My preferences are becoming too well known. If I hadn't made the trade, I would have taken Lafleur. I really thought I might steal Hull at #11. Very surprised he wasn't picked before#10. In my opinion he is easily a top 5 player. AG drove a hard bargain and my next pick is not until #44.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I actually thought I might get him at #13 until I saw that you were ahead of me! After failing to trade up to get Rocket and now missing Shore and Hull the Springfield Indians are heartbroken. I just lost my entire fan base because I promised them one of the three!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
murray said:
My preferences are becoming too well known. If I hadn't made the trade, I would have taken Lafleur. I really thought I might steal Hull at #11. Very surprised he wasn't picked before#10. In my opinion he is easily a top 5 player. AG drove a hard bargain and my next pick is not until #44.
I wouldn't have Hull in my top five or six (Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Richard, Beliveau), but once you get past those top six, there's not much to choose between over the few picks. I went with Harvey because I firmly believe defence wins championships, and while there are a lot of really skilled forwards out there, once you get past the top three defencemen, there is a drop-off to No. 4, and another drop-off to No. 5. I wanted to get one of the big three defencemen (Orr, Shore or Harvey) and that's why I traded up. (I had Shore and Harvey behind only Orr and those five forwards).

But hey, when you can land Bobby Hull (who I'm guessing is your all-time favourite player) essentially at No. 11, that's a great pick-up.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Having already traded Bobby Orr and Doug Harvey the :devils feel they must draft a defenseman with their first selection, so let's go with a 19 time all-star, also traded away in a previous draft, in

Ray Bourque

The Bruins drafted Bourque with their first pick, eighth overall, in the 1979 NHL Entry Draft. An 18-year-old rookie, Bourque made the club out of training camp that fall and never even had as much as a cup of coffee in the minors. He proved immediately why, scoring his first NHL goal and adding his first NHL assist in his first game on Oct. 11 against Winnipeg.

That was just the beginning of a season when Bourque finished an astounding plus-52 with 65 points, and became the first non-goaltender in the history of the National Hockey League to win the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie [and make the first all-star team]. Bourque also started what would become a tradition over the years, earning a First Team NHL All-Star berth, the first of 18 First or Second Team All-Star selections during his two decades with the Bruins.

But more than numbers, what defined Ray Bourque was the hard work and will to win that he brought to the rink every day. As the years went on and Bourque got older, instead of seeing his playing time decrease, his ice time steadily went up, a sure sign of his physical specimen. Bourque played in more than 90 percent of the Bruins' regular season games over the years, and played in all of them for four seasons.
- bostonbruins.com

"Bourque was one of those rare players who has everything. Few in hockey history had the mix of skating, passing, checking, and shooting that Bourque had in his prime." - Ultimate Hockey

"Ray Bourque is the best defenseman I've ever seen." - Chris Chelios

"He has so much poise it's incredible; so much hockey sense. I get goose bumps from watching him." - Harry Sinden

"There was no one in the game who was more committed to playing well each and every shift. There was no cutting corners for Raymond. He held so much respect for the game." - former defensive partner Don Sweeney

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
raleh and the Springfield Indians selects:

Phil Esposito
He was an origional 205 pounds of supersition theatrics ego skill and courage all in a 6'1 frame. Like all great scorers espo had the gift of mastering time and space. He wasnt a great skater but when he got the puck in the slot the plough horse showed the finish of a thoroughbread. Phil just didnt wait for the puck to shot. Lost in the volume of close in and garbage goals was a canny craftsmanship and imagination that produced 5 consecutive 55 or more goal seasons.- top 50 of all time

He was the centerman who held the greatest scoring record of them all before Wayne Gretzky came along and broke it - 76 goals in a single season in 1970-71. Espo won the Art Ross Trophy five times, the Hart Trophy twice, the Lester B. Pearson Award twice and the Lester Patrick Trophy for service to hockey in the United States. What's more, he was a ten-time All-Star and represented Canada in the 1972 Summit Series, the 1976 Canada Cup and the 1977 World Championship. While a member of the Boston Bruins, he scored 40 or more goals in seven straight seasons and 50 or more in five straight seasons. In his 76-goal season, he also recorded an amazing 76 assists for a league record at the time of 152 points.

While Espo was gaining a reputation among NHL coaches and fans as a goal scorer, his fellow players were also beginning to recognize that they were dealing with a real character and a practical joker in the dressing room and on road trips. He liked to smoke cigars, and one reporter, noting his constantly furrowed brow and droopy expression, started calling him "the Happy Worrier."

Besides these traits, teammates noticed that he was a player who stuck steadfastly to ritual. One night when a sore throat caused him to put on a black turtleneck, he played especially well. From then on, the turtleneck became a regular part of his game-time garb. This was just one example of the quirky Esposito's adherence to game-day habits

On the international front, Phil starred for Team Canada in the classic Summit Series as the leading individual scorer - with seven goals and six assists - and inspirational leader of the team that defeated the Soviets in the best eight-game series ever played. He joined brother Tony, who was teaming with Ken Dryden as the Canadian netminder on the legendary team

While a member of the Boston Bruins, he scored 40 or more goals in seven straight seasons and 50 or more in five straight seasons. -Legends of hockey

NHL Totals 1282 717 873 1590 910
Playoff Totals 130 61 76 137 138

Art Ross Trophy (69,71,72,73,74) First All-Star Team Centre (69,70,71,72,73,74)
Hart Memorial Trophy(69,74) Lester B. Pearson Award(71,74)
Lester Patrick Trophy(78) Second All-Star Team Centre (68,75)

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Hedberg said:
The TBA team selects

Goaltender PATRICK ROY

Interesting note: Although there is so much debate over who is the greatest goaltender of all-time, Patrick Roy has been the first one selected in all 5 drafts.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Spitfire11 said:
Interesting note: Although there is so much debate over who is the greatest goaltender of all-time, Patrick Roy has been the first one selected in all 5 drafts.
Interesting note part II: This is also the latest he's gone in any of the 5 drafts.

Wayne Gretzky 2_3_1_2_1
Bobby Orr 1_2_2_1_2
Gordie Howe 3_1_3_5_3
Mario Lemieux 4_4_4_3_4
Jean Beliveau 7_6_10_6_5
Mark Messier 13_5_7_7_6
Maurice Richard 6_10_11_8_7
Eddie Shore 10_15_15_15_8
Doug Harvey 5_9_12_13_9
Bobby Hull 12_11_5_9_10
Guy Lafleur 9_20_13_12_11
Ray Bourque 8_8_6_4_12
Phil Esposito 24_18_22_14_13
Patrick Roy 11_7_8_10_14

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
As the North Stars look to be a very offensive oriented club, they have opted to draft perhaps the best pure goal scorer in the history of the NHL. He could score anywhere from the blueline in, and was a huge part of the early 80's dynasties of the New York Islanders.

From Montreal, Quebec...

Mike "The Boss" Bossy.

Mike Bossy went on to become the first New York Islander to score 500 goals and over 1,000 regular season points. He scored with often and with ease, establishing himself as one of the deadliest snipers in NHL history and was also recognized for his sportsmanship with three Lady Byng awards.

Trophies
Calder Trophy - 1 (1978)
Lady Byng Memorial Award - 3 (1983, 1984, 1986)
Conn Smythe Trophy - 1 (1982)

Championships
Stanley Cup - 4 (1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Evil Sather said:
Not that he doesn't have the talent to be there, but in comparison to other drafts, VERY early for Jagr. I guess 50 goals helps ;)
Yep. I was always surprised at how late he would go. Its about time he gets his due.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
the North Stars make their next selection believing that goaltending is very important to lock up early.

Pleased to select goaltender Terry Sawchuk.

Terry Sawchuck was a true reflex goalie. He did not pay as much attention to angles and technique, instead focusing on his quickness and explosive movement within the crease. Sawchuk had recorded 199 wins and 57 shutouts in his first five season with the Red Wings. But he was traded to the Boston Bruins to make room for Glen Hall. In Boston he suffered a myriad of illnesses and missed time due to depression. Two years later he was traded back to the Red Wings, and resurrected his career. On a struggling Red Wings squad, Sawchuk continued to shine, making two more All-Star appearences and breaking George Hainsworth's shutout record of 95. In 1964 he was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs and went on to win a Vezina trophy in 1965 and helped the Leafs win a Stanley Cup championship in 1967.

Trophies
George Vezina Trophy - 4 (1952, 1953, 1955, 1965)
Calder Trophy - 1 (1951)

Championships
Stanley Cup - 4 (1952, 1954, 1955, 1967)

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Evil Sather said:
Not that he doesn't have the talent to be there, but in comparison to other drafts, VERY early for Jagr. I guess 50 goals helps ;)

he is having a come back season I do not beleive he is a top 20 player
He is a top 10 player on some nights but over all he dips out of the top 30 imo

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Leaf Lander said:
he is having a come back season I do not beleive he is a top 20 player
He is a top 10 player on some ngights but over all he dips out of the top 30 imo
I think pnep's selecting from his HHOF Monitor list. It's quite a convoluted system (quite possibly with even more variables than Ogopogo's list). When we're looking at a system based on awards, scoring races, all-star games, etc., Jagr's going to finish high. His stock is hurt in the eyes of many because he isn't responsible defensively, and he hasn't had a career-defining playoff. That isn't covered in pnep's system. His system isn't necessarily something I agree with, but it requires an inordinate amount of work, and I absolutely respect that.

I know that Jagr is quite high on pnep's forward list. I haven't seen a defenceman or a goalie list, at least to my recollection. (And no, pnep, I'm not going to ask you to post those here, that would give away all of your future picks).

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
There all great players imo the top 100 could loose to the top 200 or top 300
If he wants to make a case for jagr being greater then he appears to be according to conventional calculations and record keeping then go ahead.
We are all fans after all!

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Yup, it's all personal preference. I wouldn't take Jagr this early, just because there are still a few forwards around who are similar to him offensively, but are great defensively as well. Jagr has proved this season that he can still dominate the league, near five years after he did so before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad