All-Time Draft #12, Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nothing wrong with taking him this early. he was probably the 2nd-best goalie available at this point.
He's been the best on my list for quite a while. Of course, one goalie had been picked in the last few rounds, so it's not like it's been much of a horse race.

I think Lehman's good enough to be a bottom-tier No. 1. So we'll be delighted to have him as our back-up.

I do honestly believe that, if needed, Billy Smith can handle 60-65 games. He was never given that opportunity in Long Island due to Arbour's philosophy and, well, the expectation of goalies in general at the time. (Few goalies played 60 games per season in the 80s. Only one [Fuhr] played 70 games in the 80s). Smith played in all-but six games in the playoffs from 80-84, so there's no doubt in my mind he can handle a heavy workload.

But we'll go with what worked. Smith will get slightly more work than what he had during the Isles dynasty during the regular season, but once the qualifier is done, we'll lean on Mr. 88-36 to do what he does best: win hockey games when they matter the most.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Toros select LW Marc Tardif.
Thanks for making my selection. I am absolutely delighted to be able to select a player as skilled as Marc tardif in the 17th round. To get a 2nd line LW this late in the draft is wonderful. He was the missing piece on my forward lines which are shaping up quite nicely'

Bert Olmstead-Jean Beliveau(C)-Andy Bathgate
Marc tardiff-Ulf Nilsson -Bill Mosienko
Donnie Marshall-Walt Tkaczuk-Vic Stasiuk
XXX-Fred Stanfield-xxx

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I really wonder who here actually saw Bill Barber play. I don't think this comparison would be made with a straight face by anyone who did.

The guy who is Alfredsson's owner made the comparison, not me. I'm not sure what is so "unfair" about cross-examining someone for making such a bold claim. All of the mights and maybes about Alfie's career are monopoly money in the ATD - god only knows how many "could have beens" we could throw around about bygone players if we got started with that kind of silly speculation. It's only because we've all seen Alfie play that anyone even attempts this kind of revisionism.

Alfie's questionable track record as captain is not, however, the biggest reason why he doesn't belong in Barber's category among ATD wingers. On ATD 1st lines, if you're going to put a lesser player into that situation, he needs to at least bring what it takes to match up with opposing 1st liners. Barber is a guy who you can put on the ice against a Richard or a Howe, and while he certainly won't win the matchup, he has the tools to effectively check both players, while contributing offensively to an ATD 1st unit in a secondary role. Considering that a healthy majority of history's greatest wingers (especially the power forwards) have played on the right side, a fast, physical 2-way left winger like Barber is extremely valuable in countering opponent's top line players. Alfredsson is soft and he plays the right wing. That, alone, puts him in a lesser category than Barber. The leadership issue is not the most important difference between the two.

While I can admit to being too averse when speaking of Barber... who was a great two way player. Alfredsson is anything but soft. If you think Alfredsson is soft you are not paying attention at all to his entire career. I might call some of his linemates soft but not him.

Having watched all of his career and he has had some poor playoffs... I think every one can be characterized by him trying to do TOO much... trying to take over every shift because no one else did. Maybe not the greatest Captain but a truly great competitor. If you say Alfredsson is soft well I can not respect your opinion. If you say he was good but not great. If you say he was a very good player but not a great one or a HHOF one then I can respect that... maybe I agree... to a point But Alfredsson is the farthest thing from soft.... he competes on a ridiculous level every single shift.... every one. In the playoffs he competes even harder. A few times it went for the worse because he tried to do too much... a few times.. highlighted by 2007... he was the best playoff player in the world even if he lost.

Alfredsson has some faults.. he is not the greatest ever.. but soft.. is not one of his faults.. ever... ever in his entire career. He may get Byng votes because he does not normally take dumb penalties... but he is as far from soft as it is possible to be. Many fans of other teams in his division think he is dirty as they come... I don't see it but apparently they do... despite the Byng votes.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The Clippers select C Doug Weight.

Weight has 6 top-10s in assists (4, 5, 5, 7, 8, 10) and a top-10 in points.

I am in a void as to who else is on your team. And i have a distinct modern bias since I saw the players or read up on them a ton. But Weight is a guy I would want on any team. He was awesome in the playoffs when he made them. A money player a competitor. The isles are lucky and I am sure very happy to have him. No one is gonna pick Taveres here.. he has like 9 or 10 Games in the NHL now. Tavares staying at his hoiuse and being mentored by Weight is awesome.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Cup, we've already dealt with this "soft" business. My word, Alfie has more than his fair share of apologists around here.

It's always strange with modern players. The truly special talents at forward like Jagr, Bure and even Selanne get nitpicked to death and therefore underrated while lesser players (especially "hard-working", defensively responsible guys) like Modano and Alfredsson get sunshine constantly blown up their *****.

It's not that the people who criticize Jagr and celebrate Modano are wrong, it's just that the way we handle the "good" vs. the "great" modern players is markedly different from the way we handle players from bygone eras.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I think it goes the other way too sometimes, though. Like Eddie Shore won't get as penalized for attitude problems and taking stupid penalties as a modern player with the same problems would be.

Cup, we've already dealt with this "soft" business. My word, Alfie has more than his fair share of apologists around here.

It's always strange with modern players. The truly special talents at forward like Jagr, Bure and even Selanne get nitpicked to death and therefore underrated while lesser players (especially "hard-working", defensively responsible guys) like Modano and Alfredsson get sunshine constantly blown up their *****.

It's not that the people who criticize Jagr and celebrate Modano are wrong, it's just that the way we handle the "good" vs. the "great" modern players is markedly different from the way we handle players from bygone eras.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
sorry guys - i feel asleep earlier then expected.

the kenora thistles are pleased to select a quiet, yet steady, member of a dynasty...

bob turner (d)

montreal canadiens - our history said:
Smooth-skating Bob Turner plied his trade far from the spotlight’s glare, an essential role player and one of a dozen men who entered hockey legend by capturing five consecutive Stanley Cups with the Canadiens.

Serving as the team’s fifth defenseman, then the bottom man on the depth chart, the 6-foot, 170-pound rearguard accepted his lot without complaint. Turner was a reliable, if unspectacular presence, occasionally spelling the team’s top four and getting more ice time when injuries or infractions prevented his teammates from appearing.

Unheralded but far from unappreciated while doing a job where every error is noticed and remembered, Turner’s near-anonymity served as the best indicator of his effectiveness on the ice. A stay-at-home defenseman who rarely put points on the board, Turner scored only eight times for the record five straight championship Habs teams, with half his goals coming in the same season.

who's who in hockey said:
...his scrubs, such as defensemen xxx xxx and bob turner, were good enought o be first-liners on almost any other team...

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think it goes the other way too sometimes, though. Like Eddie Shore won't get as penalized for attitude problems and taking stupid penalties as a modern player with the same problems would be.

I agree with you, raleh. We tend to take too sunny a view of bygone stars and don't know enough about the little qualities of the lesser players of the past to properly credit them.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I was kind of stuck with this pick between a handful of guys, but after catching a couple classic Flyers games on the NHL network over the weekend a couple of clutch performances in the playoffs pretty much gave me a reason to select a now MLD 11 graduate: D, Andre "Moose" Dupont.

Pretty much the exact type of defenseman I want on my bottom pairing.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Heh. Nice.

I was kind of stuck with this pick between a handful of guys, but after catching a couple classic Flyers games on the NHL network over the weekend a couple of clutch performances in the playoffs pretty much gave me a reason to select a now MLD 11 graduate: D, Andre "Moose" Dupont.

Pretty much the exact type of defenseman I want on my bottom pairing.

I didn't figure so soon, but I was pretty sure he'd find his way back to the main draft.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
The Hartford Whalers pull a LeafLander and select a player that might not be the BPA, but is my favorite goalie ever and a player I wanted to have before the draft even started. A perfect fit for the team philosophy, absolute warrior and bat**** insane Ron Hextall, G.

hextall.jpg

NHL All-Rookie Team (1987)
NHL First All-Star Team (1987)
Vezina Trophy (1987)
Conn Smythe Trophy (1987)
Scored a goal vs. Boston, December 8, 1987
Scored a goal in playoffs vs. Washington, April 11, 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad