All-Time Draft #11, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Evil Speaker and sturminator are proud to select RW Harry Hyland.
:clap:

I'd like to think my argument for him last draft had some effect:

A fast skater with a powerful shot
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...er.jsp?mem=p196211&page=bio&list=ByYear#photo

Hyland was not only a prolific scorer with 144 goals in 117 games to make him 5th all-time in the NHA over the second decade of the century but also, most importantly, was CLUTCH at least five times against top level competition when it mattered most:

(1) - scoring a hat trick in the NHA Wanderer's 1910 stanley cup championship final game over Ottawa;
(2) - scoring 26 goals and becoming an all-star selection in his one-year rental to the PCHL New Westminster Royals including four goals in the 1912 league championship game win over Vancouver;
(3) - scoring four goals in the 8-2 second of three game sweep win for the PCHA all-stars vs. a NHA all-stars team which sported Joe Malone, Cyclone Taylor, Odie Cleghorn, Sprague Cleghorn, Jack Darragh in what was a contest between rival leagues; http://www.gvshof.ca/news.asp?ID_ArticleIndex=43
(4) - returning to the NHA the following season, he scored 8 goals in one game in 1913 against the defending NHA stanley cup champion Bulldogs
(5) - scored 5 goals for the Wanderers in the first ever NHL game in 1917, the same game that the Canadiens' Malone also potted five, a feat accomplished by only ten more players over the next thirty years.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
the kenora thistles are pleased to begin their third line with an early-era offensive star...

frank frederickson (c)

...this is my third atd and, the third time i've selected frederickson.

Add Fredrickson to the list of Western forwards who should be selected about 40-50% higher than they are... along with MacKay, Foyston, Keats, Hyland, and a few others not yet taken. Nice pick.

Kyle McMahon selects Jack Adams, coach.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Fredrickson is a great pick. I think he's good enough to be a second line center (albeit a lower end one) in the draft.
agreed

he was excellent in the PCHA, but also did very well in the NHL.

1926-27
HART: (370)
1. Herb Gardiner, Mtl D 89
2. Bill Cook, NYR RW 85
3. Frank Frederickson, Bos C 75

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Red was just around, but he's gone now, so I'll announce his pick.

Trinec is proud to select a hard-hitting, two-time Selke winner who earned his reputation as a strong playoff performer (and a GBC favourite): C Michael Peca.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
six hour clocks now eh...

400 - ChampagneWishes - Killarney Country Bear Jamboree - ON THE CLOCK

401 - Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
402 - GodBlessCanada & raleh - New Westminster Bruins
403 - ToskaLOL - Glace Bay Miners
404 - nik jr. - lada togliatti
405 - Nalyd Psycho - Minnesota Fighting Saints
406 - chaosrevolver & Boootthh - Team Soviet Union
407 - AlanHoff & Evil Sather - Dauphin Kings

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hyland was not only a prolific scorer with 144 goals in 117 games to make him 5th all-time in the NHA over the second decade of the century but also, most importantly, was CLUTCH at least five times against top level competition when it mattered most:

(1) - scoring a hat trick in the NHA Wanderer's 1910 stanley cup championship final game over Ottawa;
(2) - scoring 26 goals and becoming an all-star selection in his one-year rental to the PCHL New Westminster Royals including four goals in the 1912 league championship game win over Vancouver;
(3) - scoring four goals in the 8-2 second of three game sweep win for the PCHA all-stars vs. a NHA all-stars team which sported Joe Malone, Cyclone Taylor, Odie Cleghorn, Sprague Cleghorn, Jack Darragh in what was a contest between rival leagues; http://www.gvshof.ca/news.asp?ID_ArticleIndex=43
(4) - returning to the NHA the following season, he scored 8 goals in one game in 1913 against the defending NHA stanley cup champion Bulldogs
(5) - scored 5 goals for the Wanderers in the first ever NHL game in 1917, the same game that the Canadiens' Malone also potted five, a feat accomplished by only ten more players over the next thirty years.

I like Hyland a lot and respect him, and tons of good things could be said about him. But how are these examples of being clutch? #1 is obviously huge. For #3 we can only speculate just how seriously each player took that exhibition game, but let's assume it was semi-clutch too. #2 doesn't really classify as making him clutch, it just shows that he was a great player. The game in question was just the last regular season game, with nothing at stake. #4 and #5 are single regular season game feats. All decent accomplishments, but I think that is calling them something they're not.

Great player, though.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
seventieslord said:
#2 doesn't really classify as making him clutch,... calling them something they're not.
:groucho:

seventieslord.... #2 isn't clutch? in his only year in the PCHA he scored four goals in the PCHA 1912 league championship game win over Vancouver... that is the very definition of clutch

#1 and #2 are clearly clutch... #3 certainly seemed important from what I've read but one can be skeptical... #4 and #5 were BIG games... geez... not championship finals like the other two... but big games nonetheless....

i dunno if you're trying to split hairs or bust balls

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
It's nice to see a little discussion of Hyland. I think the Cup Challenge hat-trick and the PCHA playoff game are definitely clutch, and the others...meh. He doesn't have a very long big-game resume, but what's there is excellent. What really attracted me to Hyland is actually his regular-season scoring credentials, which are extraordinary for a player selected this late in the draft. Over Hyland's six-year scoring prime, here are his results:

1910: 20 goals - 8th in NHA (hat trick in Cup Challenge - Stanley Cup winner)
1910-11: 14 goals - n/r
1911-1912: 26 goals - 2nd in PCHA
1912-1913: 27 goals - 3rd in NHA
1913-1914: 30 goals - 2nd in NHA
1914-1915: 23 goals - 5th in NHA

From 1911 to 1915, Harry Hyland was arguably the best hockey player in the world. Really. Here are the top (already drafted) regular-season scorers in the world over that span:

1. Hyland - 106 goals in 72 games played - 1.47 goals/game
2. Malone - 104 goals in 67 games played - 1.55 goals/game
3. Pitre - 95 goals in 70 games played - 1.35 goals/game
4. Lalonde - 78 goals in 54 games played - 1.44 goals/game

I include goals/game to be fair to Lalonde, who missed significant time during this period. All of the above but Malone played exactly one season during this span in the PCHA and three seasons in the NHA, so there is little distortion as far as leagues go. At any rate, Joe Malone not surprisingly comes out as the best scorer of this period on a per-game basis, with Hyland just a touch behind. Four years is not a long peak, regardless of era, but Hyland did have productive seasons both before and after his peak, and a fairly normal career arc for this period of hockey. I think he could moonlight as a 2nd line winger, but as a 3rd liner, he's a fairly spectacular talent.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Certainly not busting balls, and not splitting hairs, either. the game you're talking about was not a championship game - it was the last game of the regular season, and nothing was at stake. That's all. Clutch is coming up big in big games. You provided some examples of him coming up big, it's just that a few of those games weren't big.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
401 - Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs - ON THE CLOCK (PM sent)

402 - GodBlessCanada & raleh - New Westminster Bruins
403 - ToskaLOL - Glace Bay Miners
404 - nik jr. - lada togliatti
405 - Nalyd Psycho - Minnesota Fighting Saints
406 - chaosrevolver & Boootthh - Team Soviet Union
407 - AlanHoff & Evil Sather - Dauphin Kings

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I'll be around throughout most of the day. GBC is gone for a few hours, so send the pm this way when LL picks or his time is up.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
New West selects Bob Bourne. Bourne will play LW alongside former teammate Butch Goring and Trevor Linden on the third line.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Lada selects a coach whose teams have almost always been very strong defensively and very disciplined, now matter how little talent they have, Coach Jacques Lemaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad