All-Time Draft #11, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
DAMNIT! I didn't saved my writing on my next selection. Oh well, I'll re-do it tonight.

With the 385th selection, the Detroit Falcons are please to select Center Fleming Mackell

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Luce was the third line center of my ATD8 NY Raiders. Indeed he can score as well as check. His career started and ended with a whimper but he did score 30 goals one season and 20+ four others over a 6-year span in the seventies. Limited playoff success, his teams winning just two series in nine postseasons (if you don't include the CHL round late in his career).

This is about where he should go.

...except if you need to make sure you get him to complete the unit.

We took him about 50 spots ago; I just did up the bio for him tonight.

(I do think he's better than about half the checking centers taken between then and now but obviously he was the best center for the wingers we got)

Leaf Lander select coach Punch Imlach

-------

:amazed:

No way.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
LOL, OK, fine, it is, but all that two guys on the Leafs boards are doing is attempting to reconstruct all-star teams and to my knowledge the THN panel did nothing of the sort. :help:

What, you want a medal or something?

the example I gave is extreme, but I do suspect that something of that nature happened with a few players, including Hainsworth. For Henri Richard and Johnny Bucyk, a few rogue voters had to have placed them 10th or 12th for them to end up where they did.

Extreme is an understatement, and inaccurate and misleading are better words to describe it. And still, we don't know how anyone voted so let's not make any assumptions or inaccurate speculations.

It's not that he didn't have to stand on his head - he didn't have to do much of anything. Defensive defensemen on his team got the Hart votes - not him. Some foundation.

And why on earth would I not be objective about a 100-year old player? Did he kick my great-grandfather's dog? Come on.

I just want the truth.

Who cares if he didn't have to do anything, he still did. Guys like Plante, Thompson, Cheevers, Smith, etc. have had some of the best ever defensive defensemen in front of them. Don't mean they never did nothing.

And I'm not sure why you're not objective. Maybe the guy with Hainsworth on his team beat you and you're still bitter about it, or maybe he did kick your great-grandfather's dog, I don't know. All I know is that normal people usually don't take it upon themselves to make sure that no one regards George Hainsworth higher than he thinks they should. I've never seen a person react this way to one distinct player in this thing, especially one in another conference(not even division, conference). Even GBC, who is opinionated as it gets, will only write a blurb or two about a guy he doesn't like.

Hmmm, OK, but then we're talking about a goalie with two cups versus a goalie with six. A goalie with a hart versus a goalie who was never top-5 for the Hart. A goalie with six Vezinas to a goalie with three. A goalie with seven All-Star teams to a goalie with a questionable number between zero and three. A goalie who led the NHL in sv% multiple times, a couple times by a wide margin, and posted the modern era sv% record, versus one where the limited info available hints that his sv% was not better than his contemporaries.

Even if Plante didn't have to lift a finger, after a career of all that, some props have to be given. There's not enough substance there in Hainsworth's resume to give him that benefit of the doubt.

We're not here to compare Plante to Hainsworth. But how come Plante, who played on a much better team than Hainsworth, doesn't hear these criticisms while Hainsworth does? What I'm getting at is that saying "Hainsworth had a good team in front of him" should not have nearly as much impact into how good of a player he was.

All this disproves is the notion that he's a bad goalie. But I never said he was.

No, it proves he was a great goalie. To be worthy of Vezina's number wasn't just to be "not bad", it was especially to be great. Especially considering Hainsworth's heritage. I can only make assumptions, but from what I've learned about Quebec in those days, the Toronto goalie had better have been pretty damn amazing if he was gonna wear the number of a French-Canadian legend.

Hart Voters of the late 1920s? All-Star team voters of the early 1930s?

I know I used the word "hype", but you've been attributing a quoted statement to me lately that I don't recall I ever made - "lost in the hype" - did I ever say this exact string of words?

Three Vezinas will generate hype. It doesn't help that many people do not realize that the reason for the award was completely different before 1982.

Maybe that wasn't the exact wording, but let's not kid ourselves, that is exactly what you meant.

And, come on, now you're trying to take away his Vezina's? Yeah, you're sure objective. The Vezina may have meant something differently prior to 1982, but if you're going to mention that for just Hainsworth, you might as well mention that about every goalie who won one prior to 1982.

Sorry, who am I a fanboy of?

And I'm not special. We all have access to www.hockey-reference.com. Type it into yor web browser - you can access it too!

Humour me for a second. You think Hainsworth was a steal who is 12th-15th among goalies. So which ones are better? Give me 11-14 names who we can agree on, and I'll fill in the rest. We can put their resumes and legacies next to Hainsworth's and put our theories to the test. I'll even leave Worters out of it for you.

If you won't do that, then at least answer the part you dodged about Tiny Thompson. How did Hainsworth accomplish more than Thompson?

The point was that many, if not all, of these authors had and have great access to first or second-hand accounts of these players, and all you have is a website that shows their stats. I don't want to offend you, but I'd rather put my money on them over you.

I missed the Thompson part. But either way, I like Hainsworth's peak better. A lot better, actually. I also like Hainsworth better as a playoff goalie. Despite his age, Hainsworth's GAA was better than Thompson's since the modern rule changes, which I find to be impressive. Thompson did have the better overall GAA, but I must say I prefer Hainsworth's two other finals appearances despite his old age.

Wow, are you serious? The two examples given perfectly illustrate what kind of impact Worters really had on a team, based on what happened to the Americans when Worters got there, and to the Pirates when he left. "Lionel Conacher getting a year older and wiser"? As if that has even one tenth the impact getting arguably the best goalie in hockey. On one hand you give credit where it's due but on the other hand you're not willing to accept it fully.

Way to be consistant at least. Hainsworth wasn't great because he had great defensive defensemen in front of them, but Lionel Conacher getting better can have nothing to do with Worters' success. And they do not illustrate Worters' impact perfectly. The Americans goalie the year before Worters came, who is also the guy who replaced Worters in Pittsburg, was god-awful and easily the worst goalie in the league. His back-up in New York was even worse than he was, and during that season before Worters arrived he played about 15 or so games. Now giving credit where credit is due is one thing, but let's not discount that maybe the Americans allowed so many goals because they had the league's worst tandem. Again, what Worters did was very good, but let's not act like Clint Benedict had been playing in New York up until that time and still allowing that many goals. ANYTHING would've been an improvement for the Americans.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
nik jr - I still owe you some quotes on Vezina and Patrick from the Trail. I'll grab some while I watch the games tomorrow.

i do not like to think of it as "owe," but thanks.

how did you get that book? i once saw it offered for sale for about $700.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
What, you want a medal or something?

:facepalm:

Who cares if he didn't have to do anything, he still did. Guys like Plante, Thompson, Cheevers, Smith, etc. have had some of the best ever defensive defensemen in front of them. Don't mean they never did nothing.

They also had occasions where they shone individually. They were able to prove they were that good. Plante we already talked about. Thompson was voted a top-2 goalie four times even when his GAA wasn't the best, which it was four times. Cheevers was supposedly really clutch but I'm not sold on him anyway. Smith had great teams but they actually allowed a lot of shots and he had a crazy playoff sv% compared to the rest of the league.

And I'm not sure why you're not objective. Maybe the guy with Hainsworth on his team beat you and you're still bitter about it, or maybe he did kick your great-grandfather's dog, I don't know. All I know is that normal people usually don't take it upon themselves to make sure that no one regards George Hainsworth higher than he thinks they should. I've never seen a person react this way to one distinct player in this thing, especially one in another conference(not even division, conference). Even GBC, who is opinionated as it gets, will only write a blurb or two about a guy he doesn't like.

Well, you keep coming back.

We're not here to compare Plante to Hainsworth. But how come Plante, who played on a much better team than Hainsworth, doesn't hear these criticisms while Hainsworth does? What I'm getting at is that saying "Hainsworth had a good team in front of him" should not have nearly as much impact into how good of a player he was.

Plante did get those criticisms, and to some extent he does now. But he did more than enough to shatter those criticisms.

Maybe that wasn't the exact wording, but let's not kid ourselves, that is exactly what you meant.

It may sound like semantics to you, but I don't want stuff attributed to me in quotes as though they were my words unless I said it in that way. I think the phrase looks stupid and it is not how I'd word something.

And, come on, now you're trying to take away his Vezina's? Yeah, you're sure objective. The Vezina may have meant something differently prior to 1982, but if you're going to mention that for just Hainsworth, you might as well mention that about every goalie who won one prior to 1982.

And I do. I don't care that Plante has six vezinas. I care that he was voted to the first all-star team three times and the second team four times.

I don't want to take Vezinas away, but they are Jennings trophies when talking about pre-1982 goalies. Rick Wamsley, Al Jensen, Roman Turek, and Robert Esche have won the Jennings. As have many other goalies but out of etiquette I left out all the names of anyone mentioned in past MLDs and AAA drafts, as they could feasily be selected.

It is something, it's just not much. What really matters is when the award is voted on, not simply appointed due to the team's goals against number. Since we don't have the benefit of that metric for Hainsworth's only great seasons, we have to be a little more intuitive than that. Using the Vezina as a proxy for best goaltender in those seasons is just plain wrong. it's lazy, and unfair to the other top goalies.

The point was that many, if not all, of these authors had and have great access to first or second-hand accounts of these players, and all you have is a website that shows their stats. I don't want to offend you, but I'd rather put my money on them over you.

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

I missed the Thompson part. But either way, I like Hainsworth's peak better. A lot better, actually. I also like Hainsworth better as a playoff goalie. Despite his age, Hainsworth's GAA was better than Thompson's since the modern rule changes, which I find to be impressive. Thompson did have the better overall GAA, but I must say I prefer Hainsworth's two other finals appearances despite his old age.

I disagree.

In any case, one of us has a vested interest in people seeing it that way and the other just wants to get to the truth.

Way to be consistant at least. Hainsworth wasn't great because he had great defensive defensemen in front of them, but Lionel Conacher getting better can have nothing to do with Worters' success.

It has nothing to do with me not being consistent. I'm just saying that a defenseman getting one year older isn't going to make even close to the impact that changing from a bad goalie to a good goalie would. I don't know why you would argue that it would. It would be silly to suggest there's some magic age they reach where they start to have a major impact on GAA, and if you would like to suggest that their maturation is more gradual, I'd agree, but to show Conacher's development to be a major factor, you'd have to show that the team got consistently better as he got older, a few years in a row.

Anyway, that's splitting hairs. please don't try that.

However, what is not splitting hairs would be (as I suggested) to do a side by side comparison of Hainsworth with some other goalies from the 15-25 range. I'm game if you are.

And they do not illustrate Worters' impact perfectly. The Americans goalie the year before Worters came, who is also the guy who replaced Worters in Pittsburg, was god-awful and easily the worst goalie in the league. His back-up in New York was even worse than he was, and during that season before Worters arrived he played about 15 or so games. Now giving credit where credit is due is one thing, but let's not discount that maybe the Americans allowed so many goals because they had the league's worst tandem. Again, what Worters did was very good, but let's not act like Clint Benedict had been playing in New York up until that time and still allowing that many goals. ANYTHING would've been an improvement for the Americans.

So Worters was either really good, or this guy was really bad, or a combination of both. Considering he managed to stick around a few years I don't think he's as bad as you think. But I agree that it is not a perfect comparison if you believe J.M. was really that bad.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
i do not like to think of it as "owe," but thanks.

how did you get that book? i once saw it offered for sale for about $700.

I got a deal. $375 set from a New Jersey area journalist (he inherited it from the original recipient) on eBay because his original buyer backed out.

That was the only way I was going to get the set after seeing what fixed price places were asking for it. Knowing what I know now... I'd pay $700 for it.

As for owing you the quotes, poor word choice, but you asked because you're interested so I should take the time to share. that's why we're all here.

Owning this set of books is a privilege and I shouldn't "hog" it, right?

Wow...Wendel was picked so early, I missed him, entirely. Ok, the Bruins select left wing J.P. Parise.

Yes, yes he was. Depending on what day you catch me on, Wendel is my favourite player ever, or 2nd favourite. But he always, always, always goes way too early in these things.

Wow, Burch, Ivaonv, Ramage, Patrick, Parise, Linden. All our favourites are dropping fast. Not that we didn't expect them to. Time to update the list.

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
seventies,
While not all the same books, I certainly have a comparable section on my own bookshelf! Nice shots.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Thanks for announcing our pick, sturm. I'm delighted to add my all-time favourite player, Trevor Linden, to our organization. He'll play right wing on our two-way line alongside Butch Goring. He brings size, physical play, very good defensive ability, very good mobility for a big man, a good scorer's touch and leadership to our team. He also understood the importance of the playoffs. He was nearly a point-per-game player (89 points in his first 91 games) for most of his career, and he rates among the all-time leaders in Game 7 goals and points.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Odie Cleghorn vs HHOFer Punch Broadbent

Two RWs ten months apart in age.

Cleghorn: 300-230-57-287-410 (.77 GPG, .19 APG, .96 PPG, 1.37 PIM/G)
Broadbent: 360-171-61-232-755 (.48 GPG, .17 APG, .65 PPG, 2.10 PIM/G)

Cleghorn-PO: 27-9-4-13-26 (.33, .15, .48, .96)
Broadbent-PO: 46-16-7-23-95 (.35, .15, .50, 2.07)

Assume no WW1, credit both players with the average numbers of the two years before and after the seasons they missed:
Cleghorn: 319-251-62-313 (.79, .19, .98)
Broadbent: 408-221-75-296 (.54, .18, .72)

It appears that even without WW1 getting in their way, the only edge Broadbent would have on Cleghorn is in longevity.

It would seem that Cleghorn has the career edge, but these numbers fail to take into consideration a very important point. Cleghorn played many more games during the NHA years, when scoring was more prolific. Broadbent, perhaps because of his defensive prowess, was able to play longer after the age of 30 in the NHL, which no doubt took it's toll on career PPG etc.

From '23-'24 to the end of his career, Cleghorn only played 74 games. Conversely, Broadbent played 217. That's a huge discrepancy when a season was 44 games at most.

- Cleghorn was Top-2 in goals once, Top-5 three times, Top-10 five times, Top-15 eight times, and Top-20 nine times (1-3-5-8-9). Broadbent's line reads 1-1-3-4-5. Cleghorn and Broadbent both had one elite season but for Broadbent, it was the only time he'd ever be a top-5 scorer and Cleghorn did it twice more.

Broadbent's one elite season came in the NHL though, when he won the scoring race as well as the goal crown. That holds extra weight.

- In 1928, when Broadbent and Cleghorn retired, Broadbent was 30th all-time in big league goals. Cleghorn was 10th.

Again, Broadbent didn't have the benefit of extra NHA time during his younger years.

- Broadbent was tougher but it doesn't appear that he was that much tougher. He was also a bigger penalty risk. Broadbent was also good defensively while nothing is known of Cleghorn's defensive ability.

Broadbent was so tough that even heavies like Sprague didn't mess with him, and he was as adept using his body along the boards as he was with his fists. Not for nothing was he named as UH's "Best Corner Man" of the 20s. AFAIK, Odie's biggest claim to toughness was that he was handy with a stick and his big brother would come to his rescue when that didn't work. It's hardly the same thing.

- Broadbent enjoyed more team success, going to four finals and winning every time. Cleghorn went to three finals and won once. He also missed a chance to win one of those times due to the flu epidemic, which is hardly his fault. Both had one huge playoff year. Aside from that, their playoff numbers are practically identical, with Broadbent just having more goals and assists thanks to more games.

Being part of an NHL dynasty then winning the Cup with another team shorty thereafter isn't negligible, that's for sure.

What's more, Odie's one great playoff year was riding shotgun with the likes of Newsy Lalonde, and his numbers were overshadowed accordingly. Meanwhile, Broadbent was the dominant player in his playoffs.

Tell me, is Broadbent so much better than Cleghorn, that he should be in the HHOF when Odie isn't? Should he be selected at an average position of 160th while Cleghorn is picked at an average position of 448th? Is Broadbent even better than Cleghorn at all?

Yes, he is quite a bit better, because he was the most feared forward in the league in his time and Odie was nothing of the sort, Punch is mentioned everywhere as a superb player in his own end and Odie's a non-factor in that regard, Broadbent had a greater peak and played most of his career in a lower scoring NHL, and he was also a crucial cog in a dynasty team, rather than a one Cup winner.

Cleghorn should be selected higher, but if you consider Broadbent's team success, all-around game, and put his numbers into context, Odie comes up well short.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
with speedsters and offensive dynamos along the kenora blueline, the thistles are pleased to select a defenceman who was a rock in his own end.

we're surprised he's still around - paul coffey, please welcome your defensive partner....

#5 mike ramsey (d)
history_Ramsey.jpg

greatest hockey legends said:
Mike, who was unrelated to long time teammate Craig Ramsay (note the spelling difference), joined the Sabres immediately following the Olympics and it was quickly obvious that he was star on the rise. He scored 1 goal and 7 points in 13 games to finish off the season, and followed that up by helping the Sabres through 13 post-season contests, picking up 1 goal and 2 assists.

Points production doesn't paint the proper picture of Mike Ramsey. He never scored more than 9 goals in a single season, and scored only 79 in a career that spanned 1070 games and 18 NHL season. He never scored more than 40 points in a season, and had only 345 in his career.

But make no mistake, Ramsey was a star. he was a perennial All Star candidate and 5 times as a Sabre he represented the team at the mid-season celebration, including in 1987 when the NHL put together a team of 20 players to take on the Soviets in Rendez-Vous '87. He also twice represented the United States in the Canada Cups, once in 1984 and once in 1987. He also played in the 1982 World Championships, but usually couldn't compete in that tournament as he was too busy leading the Sabres into the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Ramsey was a very intelligent defenseman with a great understanding of the game. He was always in great position and always made a solid play and clearing the zone dependably. He also was an honest physical player - very tough in front of his net and a good open ice hitter. He was also recognized as one of the game's best shot blockers.
His work ethic, dependability, and importance to the team made him a natural choice to serve as the Sabres captain after Mike Foligno's departure in 1990.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Ramsey's solid. Solid, solid, solid. Won't get you much offensively, but he's terrific in his own zone. We've had him on our radar since about the 11th round. 12th round, it was down to Harper, O'Reilly, Morrow and Ramsey for our pick. (After Muller was taken). 13th round, it was a coach, Linden or Ramsey. 14th round, it was Linden or Ramsey. But I knew Ramsey wouldn't drop forever.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Ok, I think we've had enough people for a six hour clock and no objections that we can go with a six hour clock starting in Round 15.

I'll reset Evil Sather to -2 Hours so that it's not too ridiculous off the bat.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It would seem that Cleghorn has the career edge, but these numbers fail to take into consideration a very important point. Cleghorn played many more games during the NHA years, when scoring was more prolific.

Fair point. Let's take a closer look:

Cleghorn NHA: 119-135-23-158 (1.13, .19, 1.33)
Broadbent NHA: 57-50-10-60 (.88, .18, 1.05)
Cleghorn NHL: 181-95-34-129 (.52, .19, .71)
Broadbent NHL: 303-121-51-172 (.40, .17, .57)

NHA GPG over the 7 years Cleghorn played: 8.90
NHA GPG over the 3 years Broadbent played: 8.37

That's a 6% difference but Cleghorn outpointed Broadbent by 27%.

NHL GPG over the 8 years Cleghorn spent as an NHL regular: 6.89
NHL GPG over the 9 years Broadbent spent as an NHL regular: 6.55

That's a 5% difference but Cleghorn outpointed Broadbent by 25%.

Broadbent, perhaps because of his defensive prowess, was able to play longer after the age of 30 in the NHL, which no doubt took it's toll on career PPG etc.

From '23-'24 to the end of his career, Cleghorn only played 74 games. Conversely, Broadbent played 217. That's a huge discrepancy when a season was 44 games at most.

I think both players were at the end of the line in their last three seasons. the difference is probably that Broadbent stuck around as a defensive player while Cleghorn was a player-coach of Pittsburgh and was almost always just a sub. Both things can impact their career points per game averages, so let's remove those games and re-run the numbers:

Cleghorn NHL Prime: 159-93-33-126 (.58, .21, .79)
Broadbent NHL Prime: 174-108-40-148 (.62, .23, .85)

The only edge numerically that I can find, and it's a quite small one.

Broadbent's one elite season came in the NHL though, when he won the scoring race as well as the goal crown. That holds extra weight.

what does - the fact that it was the NHL, or the fact that it came with the scoring crown?

If you mean because it was the NHL, I'd like to know why. The NHL before 1926 was just as much a splinter league as the NHA. Nearly half the best players were in the west in both cases.

Besides, Cleghorn's elite season came in the NHL, too. 1919. He was 2nd in points behind Newsy Lalonde that year too. But yeah, coming first is better than coming second.

Does that override the four extra times Cleghorn was a top-15 and top-20 scorer?

Again, Broadbent didn't have the benefit of extra NHA time during his younger years.

I agree the NHA was higher scoring. Considering Cleghorn outscored and outpointed Broadbent by 25-30% in both leagues I don't see how more games for Broadbent in the NHA would change anything.

Broadbent was so tough that even heavies like Sprague didn't mess with him, and he was as adept using his body along the boards as he was with his fists. Not for nothing was he named as UH's "Best Corner Man" of the 20s. AFAIK, Odie's biggest claim to toughness was that he was handy with a stick and his big brother would come to his rescue when that didn't work. It's hardly the same thing.

Like I said, Broadbent is tougher. In the same way that Neely is tougher than Shanahan, IMO. You're understating Cleghorn's toughness considering he was once called a disgrace to hockey, was listed as one of the roughest players ever, and according to what I read, he stuck up for Sprague, too.

Being part of an NHL dynasty then winning the Cup with another team shorty thereafter isn't negligible, that's for sure.

I agree it is worth something. Especially further back when one player constitutes a larger percentage of a team.

What's more, Odie's one great playoff year was riding shotgun with the likes of Newsy Lalonde, and his numbers were overshadowed accordingly. Meanwhile, Broadbent was the dominant player in his playoffs.

I agree it was an excellent playoff. He had 7 points in 8 games and no one else on his team had more than four. Geez, who was he trying to be, Tommy Phillips? :laugh:

That said, Cleghorn had the second best playoff of the two.

Yes, he is quite a bit better, because he was the most feared forward in the league in his time and Odie was nothing of the sort, Punch is mentioned everywhere as a superb player in his own end and Odie's a non-factor in that regard, Broadbent had a greater peak and played most of his career in a lower scoring NHL, and he was also a crucial cog in a dynasty team, rather than a one Cup winner.

Cleghorn should be selected higher, but if you consider Broadbent's team success, all-around game, and put his numbers into context, Odie comes up well short.

Physically and defensively, and contributing to a winner, I can't argue. As for peak, if you want to say leading the league in goals and points is significantly better than leading in goals and coming second in points, you are free to say that. A better measure of peak is to look at the best handful of years. As I said, Cleghorn was a top-5 scorer three times and Broadbent just one. The nice thing about that is, you can blame the raw numbers on the NHA which is partially true (but debunked) but their rankings year-by-year throughout the league would stay what they are even under any kind of adjustment formula. Cleghorn was just among the league leaders more often. Broadbent was often an ordinary player offensively; Cleghorn rarely was. Top-20 nine times is Sweeney Schriner, Mike Gartner, Rod Gilbert territory. Top-20 five times is Baldy Northcott, Elmer Lach, and Joe Mullen territory.

I can see the areas where Broadbent has the edge but the offensive gap is significant and I don't know that he makes all of that up in other areas.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm heading out soon and won't be back until tomorrow morning or afternoon. Who wants a list?

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With our fifteen selection, the 385th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are extremely please to select center Fleming Mackell

000095961.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion (1949, 1951)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1953, 1957, 1958)
NHL First All-Star Team (1953)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1947, 1948, 1949, 1954)
Top-10 Scoring (7th, 8th, 10th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (5th)
Top-10 Assist (5th, 8th)
*0.55 Point per game in the regular season*
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (4th, 5th, 10th, 10th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (1st, 1st, 6th, 6th, 7th, 10th)
*0.79 Point per game in the playoffs*

Hart Nomination (8th)

Ultimate Hockey said:
He was a tough, chippy little center. Like a lot of small players, Mackell was a maddening guy to play against. He was a tricky center who would dart from point to point on the ice. He had superb acceleration, was a nifty stick-handler, and had a star quality shot. And the boy had heart.

- ''There was a lot of intimidation if you weren't big. If you weren't a rough, tough player, you could never show that you didn't like the rough stuff or they would run you out of the league.'' - Fleming Mackell

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
seventies,
While not all the same books, I certainly have a comparable section on my own bookshelf! Nice shots.

Thanks. Aside from getting married, my 2008 was defined by the number of books I added to a collection that hadn't really grown since I was a teenager.

These drafts make you want to just learn more and more.

If you could PM me any books you have that you don't see on my shelf that you think I might learn more from, I'd appreciate it.

okay, you twisted my arm. i'll give you a thousand dollars for the lot.

The Trail, Players, Tarasov, Kings Of the Ice, and The Red Machine are worth that much on their own :D - the rest I was able to get for pretty cheap. It sure added up, though.

That "Maple Leaf Legends" book was the first gift my then-girlfriend-now-wife ever bought me. Apparently it is pretty hard to come by now:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=leonetti+maple+legends&sts=t&x=0&y=0

http://www.amazon.ca/Maple-Leaf-Legends-Torontos-Hockey/dp/1551925532

If she hadn't bought that for me in 2004 I would have driven myself crazy last year trying to find a way to cheaply acquire it because it's a must-have for a Leafs fan like me who loves books with player bios. There's only one book worth paying that much for and it's The Trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad