Speculation: All Things Pete DeBoer - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentleman of Verona

Famous Ray
Apr 24, 2012
Verona, NJ
Can you honestly watch players that Pete has shouldered a gigantic portion of the blame for not developing, like Loktionov, Tedenby, and Josefson, and tell me there's no amount of scapegoating going on there?

And please, don't reference players like Larsson and Gelinas who we're a MINIMUM of 2-4 years away from knowing for sure what kind of players they are, how they were developed, and what effect that had on their game.

What Andy Greene was at 23-25 years old is miles away from what he is now as a 32 year old defenseman.

Greene was on the receiving end of many of the coaching decisions that players like Larsson and Gelinas currently are, by the way.

I would think most of Loktionov's development would have fallen on the Kings?

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
I would think most of Loktionov's development would have fallen on the Kings?

Loktionov's development falls on Loktionov. He wasn't a good player. Many thought he just wasn't getting a fair shot here, and that Pete just didn't like him, when the fact is that the story was the same for his time in LA, his time in NJ, and his time in Carolina.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Loktionov's development falls on Loktionov. He wasn't a good player. Many thought he just wasn't getting a fair shot here, and that Pete just didn't like him, when the fact is that the story was the same for his time in LA, his time in NJ, and his time in Carolina.

Players only get misused in NJ. He wasn't good in LA, came to NJ and was awesome but got totally misused and underplayed by the coach so he just didn't appear to be as awesome, then just stunk again in Carolina. See how that works? :sarcasm:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
What is so difficult for people to understand? Pete is 1 for 7 in getting teams to the playoffs in a league where over 50% of teams make it. The only time he did, he had arguably 2 top 10 NHL players and the team finished tied for 11th in the league (with a no name Phoenix squad) in ROWs. He then proceeded to nearly get bounced in the first round by a putrid Florida team, who ironically made the playoffs the year immediately following Pete's departure. That team underachieved all damn year, playing garbage perimeter hockey night in and night out.

This current roster sucks. It is not a playoff team regardless of who you stick behind the bench. However, it is obvious that Pete is not an NHL coach and certainly is not the coach of the future based on his history in the league. So why keep him? To watch him constantly endanger the development of our young dmen by making them skate on eggshells ever night? To watch him play studs like Bernier and Zubrus on the top line? To watch a 5 foot 6 center take faceoffs in your own zone while trying to hold a lead?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The main point Pete supporters hang on to is that 2012 season/playoffs. You can't convince me that any of our recent previous coaches (Julien, Sutter, Lemaire) couldn't have gotten as much or more out of that squad as Pete did.

That team wasn't even playing good consistent hockey until March. And yes I know the team was a "work in progress" that had holes in it for much of the season, but so did most of the teams that those previous coaches had.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
How loud will the boos be for him tomorrow night in the pregame lineup introduction?
Lots of fans will be at their first home game of the season tomorrow night, home from college break or visiting family.
They will let out their frustrations they have had to hold in from a far via their tv sets so far this season.

Someone with a YouTube account should take video and post it.

engy

Mar 12, 2012
For many seasons after the 2004-2005 lockout, hockey pundits wrote NJ off before the regular season began because they looked bad on paper, yet the team consistently proved them wrong. How the team looks on paper is not always an indicator of what a team can do. People say no other coach can do better with this roster but that is just baseless speculation.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
How loud will the boos be for him tomorrow night in the pregame lineup introduction?
Lots of fans will be at their first home game of the season tomorrow night, home from college break or visiting family.
They will let out their frustrations they have had to hold in from a far via their tv sets so far this season.

Someone with a YouTube account should take video and post it.

I think you're thinking that the majority of our fan base and causal fans know anything about the ongoing team. You're being far too kind to that people that go to games. HFB / The internet is a vocal minority.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
1) Pete didn't develop Andy Greene
2) Andy has been pretty bad this season.
3) Although almost the entire team is bad...

...coach needs to go!

You obviously missed my entire point, but that's fine.

And no, Greene hasn't played bad this season.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I think you're thinking that the majority of our fan base and causal fans know anything about the ongoing team. You're being far too kind to that people that go to games. HFB / The internet is a vocal minority.

And you can thank Hugh Weber for that since his main targets are the families of four who can only afford to go to one or two games a year and really have no emotional connection to the team.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
And you can thank Hugh Weber for that since his main targets are the families of four who can only afford to go to one or two games a year and really have no emotional connection to the team.

That's hogwash.
All demographics go just like any fan base.

Not sure how you could come to that conclusion.

But back on topic, the booing for Pete has gotten noticeably loud lately.

Last edited:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
That's hogwash.
All demographics go just like any fan base.

Not sure how you could come to that conclusion.

Yea, but look at the changes that ownership has made to alter the atmosphere at the rock. Its pretty obvious the direction their trying to go in. They want a more family oriented arena and those families sure as hell aren't raining boos on the coach or team.

Cowbell is right. The amount of people who aren't emotionally invested, don't lose their mind on message boards, and are just casual fans looking for something to do, far outweigh the people like us. Doesn't mean the booing for Deboer can't get very audible though.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
As far as the booing at the Rock goes, the last game that my fiancé and I attended was the game against the Detroit Red Wings, and the booings when Pete's name was announced were definitely quite audible and noticeable. We also weren't the only people around us who were afraid of blowing a multiple goal lead. I feel like most of the people who are willing to spend their discretionary income on hockey games follow the team on television or at least stat watch enough to know how the team is doing overall. It's rare that fans will be happy with a coach whose team is performing as poorly as the Devils even if the fans aren't that well-informed. Just my two cents, of course.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
You obviously missed my entire point, but that's fine.

And no, Greene hasn't played bad this season.

He has not been "good". He's been very up and down. The bar for him is higher now. He can't pull his usual routine of one off-year followed by good year, rinse, repeat.

He needs to play consistently good.

Gentleman of Verona

Famous Ray
Apr 24, 2012
Verona, NJ
He has not been "good". He's been very up and down. The bar for him is higher now. He can't pull his usual routine of one off-year followed by good year, rinse, repeat.

He needs to play consistently good.

Sure, he's had a few poor games, but to me they've been overshadowed by some pretty heroic performances against overwhelming competition.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

I will thank him, it's made the arena a lot more enjoyable the last couple times I went to games. And keep in mind a few years ago I went to 44 Devils games. And then I realized how miserable my time was spent. Now I watch most games on TV and only go to a handful a year.

People with "an emotional" connection to the team go regardless of the team, the ownership, etc. We need corporate dollars to have long term stability as a franchise. They're just doing what makes business sense.

But what does the fanbase cheering or booing PDB have to do with his job? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It will not make him better or worse, or increase his likelihood of getting fired, etc.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Sure, he's had a few poor games, but to me they've been overshadowed by some pretty heroic performances against overwhelming competition.

LOL. Heroic?

Come on, let's calm down a bit there. He's been very inconsistent this year so far.

Offensively, he's been not as impactful as I have seen him be and he can be.

Defensively, he had a rough patch, but has really gotten stronger the last month.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I will thank him, it's made the arena a lot more enjoyable the last couple times I went to games. And keep in mind a few years ago I went to 44 Devils games. And then I realized how miserable my time was spent. Now I watch most games on TV and only go to a handful a year.

People with "an emotional" connection to the team go regardless of the team, the ownership, etc. We need corporate dollars to have long term stability as a franchise. They're just doing what makes business sense.

But what does the fanbase cheering or booing PDB have to do with his job? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It will not make him better or worse, or increase his likelihood of getting fired, etc.

It's kind of cathartic?

Gentleman of Verona

Famous Ray
Apr 24, 2012
Verona, NJ
LOL. Heroic?

Come on, let's calm down a bit there. He's been very inconsistent this year so far.

Offensively, he's been not as impactful as I have seen him be and he can be.

Defensively, he had a rough patch, but has really gotten stronger the last month.

Yes, heroic. I'm thinking of a few key PKs in particular.

Why don't YOU try going out there with a bunch of green kids and Marek "Would you prefer cherry or apple?" Zidlicky as your running mates. :laugh:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
There's isn't one reason why he should still be here

Their getting dominated by teams who are just as bad or worse than they are. The system is completely broken and the possession numbers have taken a complete nose dive. Just a complete fiasco. Get him the **** out of here.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
There's isn't one reason why he should still be here

Their getting dominated by teams who are just as bad or worse than they are. The system is completely broken and the possession numbers have taken a complete nose dive. Just a complete fiasco. Get him the **** out of here.

They can't have more than 2 total minutes of possession.

Inexcusable

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No excuse to be getting outplayed this badly by this loser team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad