All Things AHL Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Its not much cap relief at all. We were over the cap and getting LTIR relief when they were both up. With them gone, we are less than 500k under the cap. So even if they are out 5 days (skipping Wednesday, back for Friday), we only get $13,500 cap relief for that $500k over 5 days. That's thirteen thousand dollars. Not much at all. That translates into roughly $66k more yearly salary for a trade deadline signee.

Maybe that is why they are doing it. Maybe its to save real money (savings of roughly $35k real dollars). Or maybe its to get them some AHL games and get their confidence up, or send a message. It could be a combination of things.
I think it's a combination of all 3, and that at least one forward will be brought up by Tuesday. I wonder if they considered taking a look at Kostin, but are waiting to know the condition of his knee before deciding which forward(s) to bring up.

Reactions: Stealth JD

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Kostin apparently took a knee on knee hit and had to be helped off. San Antonio’s Twitter didn’t have any other info though.

I am starting to lose my interest in the Blues and I have been a die hard fan my whole life.

I guess I'm not so die hard after all.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Per Lou Korac, both Blais and Barbashev are staying in the AHL for a bit. Which is very interesting. Seems like Yeo hasn’t like Barbashev’s game all season. Have a feeling the more “veteran” players like Megan and Bennett may get the call. Easily can be slotted in the lineup in a bottom six role.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Barbashev has shown nothing other than a couple serviceable games on Tarasenko's line last year. This camp, preseason and minutes so far this season have been a disappointment. Hopefully some big minutes in the AHL will help.

I'm surprised Blais was on such a short leash. I think either he/Tage or both will be back soon. Hopefully this isn't making room to keep Prosser as the 8th d-man.

That Kostin hit looked like a suspendable offense. I'm not very encouraged after viewing that. Hopefully nothing structural that needs surgical repair.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Barbashev has shown nothing other than a couple serviceable games on Tarasenko's line last year. This camp, preseason and minutes so far this season have been a disappointment. Hopefully some big minutes in the AHL will help.

I'm surprised Blais was on such a short leash. I think either he/Tage or both will be back soon. Hopefully this isn't making room to keep Prosser as the 8th d-man.

That Kostin hit looked like a suspendable offense. I'm not very encouraged after viewing that. Hopefully nothing structural that needs surgical repair.
I can’t say Barbashev has looked bad but I will agree he hasn’t done a ton to contribute consistently. The Blais decision is a bit surprising but I suppose Yeo can’t currently justify giving him a ton of ice time so that’s fair. Let Blais have top line ice in the AHL. I still think Thompson needs more time with the Rampage. Same with Kostin for that matter. He’s played great for the Rampage so far this season but nothing has been so earth shattering that you’d have to call him up. Let’s just hope the knee will be fine after some time off.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Unfortunately, this clears space for Thorburn to play more, which to me, is a HUGE mistake. I hope they pull up somebody else to play with Sundqvist and Paajarvi. Upshall, Brodziak, and Jaskin has been an excellent 4th line.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think there is a double standard with Barbashev. I can't believe they think Paajarvi, despite his goal, has done much more than Barbashev. Yet Paajarvi keeps getting 3rd line minutes like clockwork.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Barbashev deserves to be sent down, he hasn't done anything this season. I'm with Blais as well, I thought his performance faded as each game progressed. Also agreed on Paajarvi, not sure how this guy is still in our top 9 despite achieving nothing.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The other player didn't deviate from his course. How is that just tripping? Jesus the Blues have bad luck with this stuff. Sincerely hope Kostin is good to go.

You're right that the other player didn't deviate, it was Kostin that moved his upper body and left his lower body in harm's way. That's a tough way to learn not to do that but he made himself vulnerable there. Had he just taken the hit without moving his upper body the result is likely just a loose puck and not an injury.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

I strongly disagree with the idea that hit is suspendable. Kostin moved his upper body to avoid the hit and left his legs vulnerable. The other guy was trying to follow through on a check which wouldn't have resulted in an injury had Kostin not tried to avoid it. That to me is punishing the result, not the action. Especially since it was Kostins change in body positioning that caused it to be knee on knee.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah I think Kostin trying to avoid the hit was what caused the knee-on-knee collision. The defender had him lined up and didn't look like he extended his leg. I'd like another angle of the hit to make sure, but it does seem like Kostin would have been better off just absorbing the hit.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think there is a double standard with Barbashev. I can't believe they think Paajarvi, despite his goal, has done much more than Barbashev. Yet Paajarvi keeps getting 3rd line minutes like clockwork.

It could be they have higher expectations for Barbashev and want him to get it together.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Seems to me the two guys they sent down were the most likely candidates to get Top-6 minutes. No one in the AHL outside of Kostin (assuming he is even available after the incident yesterday) really makes sense. I guess that means we can expect more of Sobotka in the Top-6, which makes me sad. I really haven't liked the way he's played this year, despite the abundance of assists. He just doesn't seem dangerous enough to be a Top-6 player and the grit and jump we saw when he left 3 years ago apparently stayed in Europe, meaning he's not the bottom-6 player he once was either. Just kind of meh in all facets of the game.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Barbs has been bad this season. Just lost and standing around defensively. He needs to re-discover his game. It’s there but he’s just playing like crap for whatever reason.

Blais has looked fine but he faded. He’s a rookie. It happens. He’s very close but needs to gain consistency.

Hopefully Kostin isn’t injured. I’d like to see how he’d do with the Blues but by and large I don’t see him as quite NHL ready yet either.

I suspect one or both of Megan/Bennett will get the callup on Wed.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Barbs has been bad this season. Just lost and standing around defensively. He needs to re-discover his game. It’s there but he’s just playing like crap for whatever reason.

Blais has looked fine but he faded. He’s a rookie. It happens. He’s very close but needs to gain consistency.

Hopefully Kostin isn’t injured. I’d like to see how he’d do with the Blues but by and large I don’t see him as quite NHL ready yet either.

I suspect one or both of Megan/Bennett will get the callup on Wed.

All that standing around really burned him the 1 time there was a goal against in the over 60 minutes of time he has been on the ice with the 4th least favorable offensive zone-start percentage on the team. He's also allowed the 3rd least High-danger scoring chances against per amongst forwards. I don't mean to belittle you opinion, but I just didn't see him as being bad defensively as you did. Stats back me up, or at least say he is not getting burned for his poor play.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I was wondering if Kostin was on the verge of a call-up. Maybe still is if he's fine.

I guess my view of the collision is skewed by viewing it in slomo first. It looks a lot different at real speed.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm with 2MM. My first thought when I heard Barbashev and Blais were going to stay down was that Kostin may be getting the call. From all accounts he had a pretty positive camp and has looked solid in San Antonio. I know I've said it before, but my preference is to use that third line RW spot to give some looks to the kids. If they come up and play well, they stay. If not, then down they go to play a lot and up comes the next guy. At least until Berglund comes back.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I could see the Blues calling up Megan and Kostin this week. If Kostin is okay, I wouldn't mind seeing how he looks in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad