Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I would say he is upset but he realizes that other players do certain things that add value to the team. Personally I don't think players are as petty as we make them out to be. They learn, and adapt. It is an extremely competitive profession and they aren't nearly as fragile as they often get get projected to be.
Your whole argument seems to be built around him being too fragile to be sent down though.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Here are my concerns with Cole...

Whether he stays up and is scratched or he is sent down, both are blows to his confidence. The upside to him stating up is an NHL paycheck and just being around the team as the make a (hopefully) long playoff push. The downside is that he's not playing

With the Moose, the upside is that he's playing games, but I don't think that a kid who is capable of putting up the numbers Cole did during the first half of the season in the NHL has much to gain developmentally from being down there (making 90K a year). It would be like graduating high school, getting great grades in your first semester at university, struggling in your second semester and then being sent back down to grade 12

There's no really right answer... BUT, if it were me, I'd be spotting him on the 4th line. Tell him not to worry about producing and just play his game and it will come. He's not expected to put up points on the 4th line.

The issue with putting him in the top 6 right now is that those guys are expected to put up points and ypu don't want that kind of pressure on a kid who is already sqeezing the stick way too tightly

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Your whole argument seems to be built around him being too fragile to be sent down though.
Not at all. I don't think Cole is fragile at all. I just see it has very counter productive to start undermining his confidence and belief in himself by demoting him to the AHL. I just see big negatives Vs. a maybe small add if all goes right.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Not at all. I don't think Cole is fragile at all. I just see it has very counter productive to start undermining his confidence and belief in himself by demoting him to the AHL. I just see big negatives Vs. a maybe small add if all goes right.
Saying that it'll be a blow to his confidence is saying that he's too fragile.

I will always be of the opinion that developing players need to play in game situations and work on their skills. If he's going to go sulk about it rather than try to improve and help the team he's on then he's likely not long for this league anyway.

Reactions: Bigfish

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's likely the Jets are working with him while he sits - and this might be all about a reset for him that includes working with the team in practice and working with the coaches beyond the practice routine. IMO, It's not even about development - more about getting him back to where he was - a reset.
If that is the case, working with him as part of the team might be a better option over sending him down.

Most have already stated that he had a good first half - so you'd think this is more about getting him back to that point. The Moose is not going to provide that IMO.

As long as 'working with him' doesn't mean telling him that what he needs is to become faster, stronger and a different player than who he is.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
He has been a part of the team the whole season and contributed very well the first half. The team has built strong relationships over the season and he is a part of that. There is less than a month left in the regular season and I am sure he gets a few games in over that time. Better to practice and be with his team for the month and be part of a stretch drive and then the Playoffs than play a half dozen games with a different team than he has been on all year. The downside of sending him down outweighs any development that could happen in such a short time. If this was October or November or even December then I agree a reset in the AHL would be an option.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here are my concerns with Cole...

Whether he stays up and is scratched or he is sent down, both are blows to his confidence. The upside to him stating up is an NHL paycheck and just being around the team as the make a (hopefully) long playoff push. The downside is that he's not playing

With the Moose, the upside is that he's playing games, but I don't think that a kid who is capable of putting up the numbers Cole did during the first half of the season in the NHL has much to gain developmentally from being down there (making 90K a year). It would be like graduating high school, getting great grades in your first semester at university, struggling in your second semester and then being sent back down to grade 12

There's no really right answer... BUT, if it were me, I'd be spotting him on the 4th line. Tell him not to worry about producing and just play his game and it will come. He's not expected to put up points on the 4th line.

The issue with putting him in the top 6 right now is that those guys are expected to put up points and ypu don't want that kind of pressure on a kid who is already sqeezing the stick way too tightly

Yes - but .... he could be part of a 4th line that wins its matchups and actually scores a few goals.

Reactions: Bigfish

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Cole doesn't win matchups on the 4th line. In 64 minutes of ice, he is 0GF 3GA while on the ice, zero points
If it was him, Names and Iaffalo they would. They won their matchups when they were the second line. He needs to play with some skill to get his skill working, and him and Names have chemistry. He loses his matchups when he plays with Kupari, Barron and or Gus. They dump pucks out and dump pucks in and don't make plays.

A 4th line of 91-7-9 would win skill matchups against other teams 4th lines quite easily in ,my opinion.

You don't have to have a 4th line that hits and dumps and chases. If your line is better thats all that matters.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If it was him, Names and Iaffalo they would. They won their matchups when they were the second line. He needs to play with some skill to get his skill working, and him and Names have chemistry. He loses his matchups when he plays with Kupari, Barron and or Gus. They dump pucks out and dump pucks in and don't make plays.

A 4th line of 91-7-9 would win skill matchups against other teams 4th lines quite easily in ,my opinion.

You don't have to have a 4th line that hits and dumps and chases. If your line is better thats all that matters.
That's a very interesting idea

When I looked up cole's 4th line stats, it was always with Barron and a center. It didn't occur to me that what was once our second line could become our fourth

Those three did do very well together

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I think this is much to do about nothing. Perfetti has been out for what, three games? Samberg was recently out for a couple and no one would say he is in the doghouse. This is more about getting Gus some reps as the Jets don’t have a ton of center depth and you don’t want a player who hasn’t played in months being thrown into a playoff game.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think this is much to do about nothing. Perfetti has been out for what, three games? Samberg was recently out for a couple and no one would say he is in the doghouse. This is more about getting Gus some reps as the Jets don’t have a ton of center depth and you don’t want a player who hasn’t played in months being thrown into a playoff game.

You're probably right about it not being a huge deal either way.

I do agree with your last sentence, and that's where I am coming from with believing AHL playing time could be a good thing.

By the time playoffs rolls around, we could have Perfetti back up. And he will have played 20 mins a night in all situations in the previous weeks and not 4th line/healthy scratched.

I definitely could be way off on this. But usually big AHL minutes is a great way to reset a players game and rebuild confidence

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

That would be a killer 4th line, reminiscent of some of the league's best back in 2017-18, with the TLC, PAH and other variants. Names in the Matty P spot, Gruffalo standing in for Armia/ Tanev / Hendricks and Cole P taking on the mantle of superb all-rounders B Little or a young Adam Lowry.

All of those lines could hunt, harass, hurryup, dominate possession, draw penalties, win shot shares -- and score.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That would be a killer 4th line, reminiscent of some of the league's best back in 2017-18, with the TLC, PAH and other variants. Names in the Matty P spot, Gruffalo standing in for Armia/ Tanev / Hendricks and Cole P taking on the mantle of superb all-rounders B Little or a young Adam Lowry.

All of those lines could hunt, harass, hurryup, dominate possession, draw penalties, win shot shares -- and score.

All 3 guys are 80th percentile or above defensively by Athletic player cards (Names 82nd, Cole 92nd, Iafallo 98th) so it makes sense they would be a strong trio. Probably not giving up a whole lot.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Summer trade.

KFC and a 3rd in 2026 for Holtz and Nemec.
Don’t really see NJ interest in this? A young cost controlled top 4 RHD and probably a future top pairing RHD plus a young scoring winger also cost controlled for a scoring winger who is let’s say offense focused with 2 years control before he will cost in the $9 m range.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Don’t really see NJ interest in this? A young cost controlled top 4 RHD and probably a future top pairing RHD plus a young scoring winger also cost controlled for a scoring winger who is let’s say offense focused with 2 years control before he will cost in the $9 m range.
What we really need is a center that would line up well with a defensively inept winger who is one of the best goals scoring in the game.
There's a reason PLD worked with him at one time -
Scheif is not the right guy although I love watching those two when they are on - problem is, they both forget about defense when together (KC more so but they are both guilty).
I know top 6 centers are not laying around - especially ones that can play a solid 200 ft game - but IMO, that's what KC needs because he will never be much defensively. Hook 55 up with 27 - at least 27 will provide the possession numbers that will keep them out of D trouble.
There's been a lot of discussion on this topic (top line configuration) and I've come full circle on this - 55/81 need to be separate lines.

So the issue isn't moving KC - it's finding a center that can cover his flaws and let him fill the net - because goals are important (right?)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
What we really need is a center that would line up well with a defensively inept winger who is one of the best goals scoring in the game.
Scheif is not the right guy although I love watching those two when they are on - problem is, they both forget about defense when together (KC more so but they are both guilty).
I know top 6 centers are not laying around - especially ones that can play a solid 200 ft game - but IMO, that's what KC needs because he will never be much defensively. Hook 55 up with 27 - at least 27 will provide the possession numbers that will keep them out of D trouble.
There's been a lot of discussion on this topic (top line configuration) and I've come full circle on this - 55/81 need to be separate lines.

So the issue isn't moving KC - it's finding a center that can cover his flaws and let him fill the net - because goals are important (right?)
Hmm if only we had a bug, fast, defensive first center that drives hard to the net and hits everything in sight. Oh right Morgan Barron - but I'm sure we will bench him soon to give perfetti a fair chance haha

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Hmm if only we had a bug, fast, defensive first center that drives hard to the net and hits everything in sight. Oh right Morgan Barron - but I'm sure we will bench him soon to give perfetti a fair chance haha
I don't mind that to potentially start next year tbh. I think there is a good mix of skill and grind, young and old

27 - 55 - 13
81 - 36 - 91
62 - 17 - 22
McG - 7 - 9

Reactions: WolfHouse

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Barron is not a top 6 center - at least not what I had in mind.
I was referring more to a 200 ft center - one with some offense as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The defensive zone assignments are so fluid in the NHL these days that I think the old idea if putting a defensively inept forward with some defensive guru is outdated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad