Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Draft was a little disappointing since we didn't acquire any additional high picks, not even a 2nd. Not entirely surprising though.
It is what it is.

It is very definitely now a retool - at most. Not any kind of rebuild.

Do we still have 1 more day to buyout Wheeler? Or did he need to be waived today so he could be bought out tomorrow?

Now that the dust has settled, what happens with Hellebuyck and Scheifele?
Is anything going to be done with our D?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Wheeler can't be waived.

I think he can technically agree to be waived by waiving his no move clause but yeah, the NMC means interleague movement as well. A buyout would happen without waivers so I think it can happen at any time between now and the deadline.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This draft was bonkers. Nobody was trading away picks. Maybe they liked the draft prospects that much, or teams that might normally trade picks just don't have any roster / cap space that they want to give up for picks.

Chevy is probably going to keep trying to work on a Wheeler trade, and then buy him out close to the deadline if he can't make a deal.

Seems like the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades will wait until after some of the free agency frenzy sorts out, and teams know where they stand in cap space and roster (especially in goal).

Chevy has no real reason to rush the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades at this point, now that the draft is over.

As a general rule of thumb, GMs overvalue draft picks around the draft, and undervalue them close to the TDL. So I don't mind that Chevy didn't overpay value for picks at this point.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Sell Scheifele and Hellebuyck for pennies on the dollar now or have them for at least until the trade deadline and sell them at a premium? Sounds like an easy answer to me.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
I wouldn't call this a retool. My understanding was that a retool was just a very abridged rebuild, where you draft high once or twice, and wait for the bad contracts to be off the books.

This seems more like a few big trades. And so far this might just be trading away one problem player.

If they don't get rid of scheifele this team is done.

If they get rid of bucky they either gotta rebuild or get an ok goalie back.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Guessing we won't see a trade for Helle and/or Scheif till free agency starts and people have an idea who they can pick up for free to fill spots before circling back to making a trade. I will be SUPER worried though if Helle is still on the roster come season start. Will probably indicate us losing him for nothing since we'll probably at least be vying for a wild card spot barring blowing up the roster more.

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Sell Scheifele and Hellebuyck for pennies on the dollar now or have them for at least until the trade deadline and sell them at a premium? Sounds like an easy answer to me.
Problem is they spend 6 months ensuring you get the worst draft pick possible, and the team you're getting picks from is hoping to draft 32 overall with the player you're giving them.

This drafting 15-20 the overall is absolutely pointless. You're not good enough to waste time in the playoffs, but you're too good to have anything other than just a meh forward group. Not to mention ownership gets over invested in first round picks because they want to flaunt the mirage of having top tier talent.

In a redraft I can imagine morrisey/connor being the only players wanting to stay who'd be redrafted in the top 5.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
If we're planning on trading Helle this offseason, aren't the Jets one of the teams that would sign a free agent goalie? Would we sign one before actually trading Helle?
Definitely, unless they can get one back as part of the Scheifele trade.

There are only so many starter-quality ones to go around but at 9mil + a year for Helly so it would have to be a cup-contending team with cap to spare.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
This draft was bonkers. Nobody was trading away picks. Maybe they liked the draft prospects that much, or teams that might normally trade picks just don't have any roster / cap space that they want to give up for picks.

Chevy is probably going to keep trying to work on a Wheeler trade, and then buy him out close to the deadline if he can't make a deal.

Seems like the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades will wait until after some of the free agency frenzy sorts out, and teams know where they stand in cap space and roster (especially in goal).

Chevy has no real reason to rush the Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades at this point, now that the draft is over.

As a general rule of thumb, GMs overvalue draft picks around the draft, and undervalue them close to the TDL. So I don't mind that Chevy didn't overpay value for picks at this point.
That's exactly where I'm at. Wanting picks is fine but I don't want to acquire them now when their price is at their absolute highest. Also it's pretty telling when basically no teams traded high picks whatsoever.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Winnipeg took 0 defensemen. That has to be a first for this team.
I was thinking about that earlier and I wonder if there is a back burner deal that involves a/some D coming back. I thought it was odd especially with some decent guys available around our picks. MacKinnon, Mania, Hammell, Price, Forchescue. Never mind Perron still around when we picked. I was flabbergasted.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I think Scheifele should still get good value considering how weak free agency is in that area. For Hellebuyck it feels like the opposite as everyone seems to think you can win cups with sub-par goaltending now (wrong) and that they'll just go with random ones off the free agent market. Those teams will be circling back around the deadline of that I have no doubt.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I had Scheif to Boston and Helle to NJD but I don't see it now really... Only way Scheif goes is if we get a guy like Mercer in a Helle trade...

I think Chevy runs it back... possibly even with Wheeler (hopefully not) - but again TNSE absolutely hates paying people for not working for them - they did it with Stu but then gave him a job

Summer moves
- Chevy signs Names or Bjugstad
- extend Nino
- signs all his RFAs
- waiver pick up in first month of season
...and that's all folks

We don't even trade Stanley... and lose someone to waivers... again.

I could see running the full season with Scheif and losing him for nothing because Chip wants to show loyalty

This is the Winnipeg way - hopefully Im wrong.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Chevy just made a huge trade that's going to change the look of this team. If Scheifele and Helly don't want to be here they will get traded too and Chevy will probably make good trades. Wheeler needs to go to change the dressing room though that's for sure.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
For Schiefele, yes ... but do goalies often get traded as rentals at the TDL? I can't think of any in recent memory. Seems like if a team is playoff bound they'll usually already have a goalie they're happy with.

For me the real problem with holding onto them until the TDL is that we'd then most likely be within striking distance of the playoffs and then Chevy will just keep both as "own rentals" then we lose both for nothing on July 1st.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I wouldn't put money on either Scheifele or Helle being traded, more likely the Jets make a few minor moves in hopes of making the playoffs because quite frankly this organization seems to be happy just making the playoffs. On the other hand losing both of them to free agency for nothing will decimate this franchise. You can't make the same mistake the Flames made will Gaudreau.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
For Schiefele, yes ... but do goalies often get traded as rentals at the TDL? I can't think of any in recent memory. Seems like if a team is playoff bound they'll usually already have a goalie they're happy with.

For me the real problem with holding onto them until the TDL is that we'd then most likely be within striking distance of the playoffs and then Chevy will just keep both as "own rentals" then we lose both for nothing on July 1st.
LA traded for Korpisalo at the deadline last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad