Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
We also don’t know if either player wants to stay a jet after the off season or who will re sign or who will be traded. We don’t know if we get swept in round 1 or make it to the end. Those deep runs can influence a player to sign (like stastny). Keep in mind cap is going up too. There’s just too much up in the air

Just enjoy the ride for now
Yup it's way to early to start throwing contracts around for players that atm are rentals.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No, not kidding, but I freely admit I don't know as much as many here let alone Chevy.

I was just basing my comment on Toffoli's apparent chemistry so far, and also his numbers over the past couple of years. He seems like he may be a "late bloomer"

2023/2013 so far - 65 GP, 30 G, 19 A (49 pts)
2022/2023 (w/ Calgary) - 82 GP, 34 G, 39 A (73 pts)
2021/2022 (w/ Mtl, then Cal) - 74 GP, 20 G, 29 A (49 pts)

Seems comparable or more points than Ehlers who seems to be universally considered worth $6 million (currently being paid $6.5 mil).
when Toffoli signed his latest 4.25M deal, his stat the previous 3 years were:

24g-44 pts in 68gp
13g-34 pts in 82gp
24g-47 pts in 82 gp.
overall: 0.54 ppg

way better goal scoring and point totals now as you posted he's 7th in pending UFAs for points, & 3rd in goals.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
There is the possibility of a lot of turnover between the end of this season and next, including the trade deadline pick ups.

At the end of this season UFA's

DeMelo
Dillon
Miller
Toffoli
Monahan

I'm sure the Jets organization will be able to re-sign a few but who and how much?

UFA after 2024-2025.....

Ehlers will he stay??
Namestnikov
Iafello
Appleton I actually think Appleton is easily replaceable depth but Jets organization?
Pionk
Schmidt
The Jets may have some serious holes to fill or trades to happen before next years trade deadline.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup it's way to early to start throwing contracts around for players that atm are rentals.
It doesn’t really matter what us fans throw around as it won’t make a shred of difference on what Chevy does. There will be a lot of moving parts after the season some of which will be impacted by how things play out between now and June.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
There is the possibility of a lot of turnover between the end of this season and next, including the trade deadline pick ups.

At the end of this season UFA's

DeMelo...YES
Dillon...NO
Miller...YES
Toffoli...YES
Monahan...NO

I'm sure the Jets organization will be able to re-sign a few but who and how much?

UFA after 2024-2025.....

Ehlers will he stay??
Namestnikov
Iafello
Appleton I actually think Appleton is easily replaceable depth but Jets organization?
Pionk
Schmidt
The Jets may have some serious holes to fill or trades to happen before next years trade deadline.
I'd try to re-sign Ehlers but I would be dealing Iafallo this summer (depending on playoffs).
I'd trade Pionk during the season if Salmon is ready for the bigs.
Names will probably lose his job to numbers with youngsters coming up and making the team. I'd try to sign him if his play hasn't dropped too much...about 1 x 1.75m.
I'd trade Apples but they will probably re-sign him.
Schmidt shouldn't be a part of the organization come TC. I like the guy at 2m, not 5.95m.
I think we see DD, Pionk and Miller on the right side next year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I hope that people who are complaining about Heinola being cockblocked aren't the same ones advocating for siging toffoli to a 3 year deal. During that time Perfetti, Rutger and Lambo will be pushing for middle six wing spots (and Chaz could be in thr mix too, if we could just find some industrial strength duct tape strong enough to hold him together)

Maybe chevy knows that Ehlers is for sure gone after one season or Connor after two, which would open spots. Otherwise, you might as well deal those kids for a RHD or 2C (maybe perfetti or Lambert end up there in the future, who knows)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I hope that people who are complaining about Heinola being cockblocked aren't the same ones advocating for siging toffoli to a 3 year deal. During that time Perfetti, Rutger and Lambo will be pushing for middle six wing spots (and Chaz could be in thr mix too, if we could just find some industrial strength duct tape strong enough to hold him together)

Maybe chevy knows that Ehlers is for sure gone after one season or Connor after two, which would open spots. Otherwise, you might as well deal those kids for a RHD or 2C (maybe perfetti or Lambert end up there in the future, who knows)
You are wrong on this one.

Toffoli has chemistry with Ehlers - tons of other guys don't... Monahan makes our Powerplay better (even if you insist its Vilardi and only Vilardi :naughty:)

Signing toffoli/monahan for 3 or 4 years doesn't block anyone - I mean look at Nino, we all thought he'd be top six...

If the plan is to let Ehlers walk then lets let Monahan and Toffoli go so he can team up with Names and Perfetti again and we can all watch it not work for another year... a year thats one of our window years haha

Im a huge Lambert fan but I'd rather see him at 4C next year and then bump Monahan rather than start the season like this one with 'omfg I hope Perfetti knows how to take a face-off' haha

Reactions: Dirtbag151

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

The fault with this logic is there are far more winger spots than there are defenseman spots.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The fault with this logic is there are far more winger spots than there are defenseman spots.
Like 8 winger spots and 6 defenseman spots? Two is "way more"? If that's the case, then there are "way more" wingers pushing for roster spots than D in the next couple of seasons too

And you can scratch 2 of those winger spots off because I don't think the org sees a rookie being a viable fit on Lowry's line, even though I wouldn't mind looking at rutger there

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Like 8 winger spots and 6 defenseman spots? Two is "way more"? If that's the case, then there are "way more" wingers pushing for roster spots than D in the next couple of seasons too

And you can scratch 2 of those winger spots off because I don't think the org sees a rookie being a viable fit on Lowry's line, even though I would mind looking at rutger there
I think we see Barron-Lowry-McGro in 2025

Reactions: Flair Hay

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

And you can scratch 2 of those winger spots off because I don't think the org sees a rookie being a viable fit on Lowry's line, even though I would mind looking at rutger there

Yeah I tend to agree with you here. If there is a way for the org to bring back Toffolli, they likely do it. And if they do, Perfetti is basically the new Heinola. It sucks but it is what it is.

Connor
Vilardi
Ehlers
Toffolli
Niederreiter
Appleton
Iafallo
Barron

Basically zero spots available. The coach isn't gonna play Perfetti or a rookie on the 4th line.

Getting ahead of ourselves a bit, but reading the tea leaves things are not looking good for Perfetti at all

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah I tend to agree with you here. If there is a way for the org to bring back Toffolli, they likely do it. And if they do, Perfetti is basically the new Heinola. It sucks but it is what it is.

Connor
Vilardi
Ehlers
Toffolli
Niederreiter
Appleton
Iafallo
Barron

Basically zero spots available. The coach isn't gonna play Perfetti or a rookie on the 4th line.

Getting ahead of ourselves a bit, but reading the tea leaves things are not looking good for Perfetti at all
I wonder if the org still sees perfetti as 2C. The only other viable options are Names and eventually Lambert. I don't think Names is 2C on a contender (as much as I love his overall game) and Lambert won't be ready next season

If they re-sign Monahan, there's your answer. And of they re-sign toffoli too somehow, then I'd agree with you about the long term outline for perfetti

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thats the max I would go - but we got Niedereitter for two years and a good price... so I'm hoping Chevy does 3 years deals

But assuming,ing the Ehlers chemistry holds up - we can't let these guys walk and then turn around and ask Ehlers to re-sign... but hey we will find someone for you to play with, we promise haha

The chemistry looks promising but really, 2 games?

Paying them too much, too long to keep Ehlers happy is no recipe for success.

But all of this speculation about them is premature. Lets see how it plays out. Right now, I think of them only as rentals.

Reactions: Bigfish

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The chemistry looks promising but really, 2 games?

Paying them too much, too long to keep Ehlers happy is no recipe for success.

But all of this speculation about them is premature. Lets see how it plays out. Right now, I think of them only as rentals.
I missed the part where I was saying sign them tomorrow

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Connor
Vilardi
Ehlers
Toffolli
Niederreiter
Appleton
Iafallo
Barron

I wouldn’t rule out Iafallo being moved in the summer. That’s 4 million right there to go towards Monahan or Toffoli. Add in the potential loss of Dillon to UFA and getting rid of Schmidt one way or another and there will be cap space.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Connor
Vilardi
Ehlers
Toffolli
Niederreiter
Appleton
Iafallo
Barron

Iafallo, Appleton, Barron should not block Perfetti from anything. If they do then our coach is a problem.

Reactions: Huffer and Bigfish

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wonder if the org still sees perfetti as 2C. The only other viable options are Names and eventually Lambert. I don't think Names is 2C on a contender (as much as I love his overall game) and Lambert won't be ready next season

If they re-sign Monahan, there's your answer. And of they re-sign toffoli too somehow, then I'd agree with you about the long term outline for perfetti

Yeah, even if Chevy sees Cole as a guy who can be a 2C, if the coach doesn't, well...

The tough thing about our line structure is that with Lowry always being 3C and 4th line getting reduced minutes no matter what is:

We only have two scoring line spots for C.

If you are going to be a top six C on a contender, the bare minimum is being a solid top line center.

For guys like Lambert or Perfetti, they basically have to perform like top line centers or they are in a position to need to be upgraded on or moved to the wing by the time the calendar turns.

First world problems of being a contender i guess. real useful, young top six calibre guys can get squeezed out. Happened to Roslovic in our teams best days and could be happening to Cole (perhaps Brad?) too

Iafallo, Appleton, Barron should not block Perfetti from anything. If they do then our coach is a problem.

If we are living in the real world, it has already happened. And 80% of most coaches do things the same way. Not that I even disagree, just I see the writing on the wall pretty clearly.

It's Ville situation coming up for Cole

Reactions: Bigfish and Buffdog

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Yeah, even if Chevy sees Cole as a guy who can be a 2C, if the coach doesn't, well...

The tough thing about our line structure is that with Lowry always being 3C and 4th line getting reduced minutes no matter what is:

If you are going to be a top six C on a contender, the bare minimum is being a solid top line center.

For guys like Lambert or Perfetti, they basically have to perform like top line centers or they are in a position to need to be upgraded on or moved to the wing by the time the calendar turns.

First world problems of being a contender i guess. real useful, young top six calibre guys can get squeezed out. Happened to Roslovic in our teams best days and could be happening to Cole (perhaps Brad?) too

If we are living in the real world, it has already happened. And 80% of most coaches do things the same way. Not that I even disagree, just I see the writing on the wall pretty clearly.

I kind of like the idea of having a line play together on the moose for a year or two and come up together, like Tampa had a few years ago. Imagine McGroarty-Lambert-Chibrikov playing the whole season together next year and being the 4th line in 2025. Probably not practical though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Tons of natural centers end up being converted to wing and do very well there.

The problem with being a contender is you aren't going to sacrifice your window for the sake of development of a player.

I do think Heinola was somewhat mishandled when we did have some holes in our d core but it wasn't entirely on the Jets. Heinola had some really poor play in the year he had the best shot (terrible tc and exy) and his injury this year was just terrible luck.

Simply the fact that Perfetti was never sent down proves he isn't and won't get the 'Heinola treatment'.

If you want to be an effective C in the NHL skill simply isn't enough. You either have to be strong, fast, or both. Right now Cole is neither.

He knows what he has to do in the offseason and id bet he comes into camp thicker and quicker.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

It's Ville situation coming up for cole

Except it shouldn't be at all.

As much as I'd like to give Ville a chance he has proven nothing in the NHL.

Cole has already proven he is a good NHL player. Appleton/Barron/Iafallo are not better players than him, and Cole is 22 with high pedigree. If your coach is stopping him from getting chances he is a problem.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Except it shouldn't be at all.

As much as I'd like to give Ville a chance he has proven nothing in the NHL.

Cole has already proven he is a good NHL player. Appleton/Barron/Iafallo are not better players than him, and Cole is 22 with high pedigree. If your coach is stopping him from getting chances he is a problem.
Based on Coles production in the past couple of months, he isn't a better fit than Iafallo, Barron, or Appleton.

Sure, he's a better player - but if he isn't doing the thing that makes him a better player, then he doesn't help the team.

Those above players do things other than scoring that make them more useful to the Jets in this moment than Perfetti unfortunately.

It all comes down to 2 things:

The Jets should not trade performance for development considering their goals for this season
Players contribute more than points production, and you need a variety of roles to be a winning team.

People who are putting Cole alive the team needs are going to have a rough couple months ahead, especially if that 4th line keeps playing like they did in the last two. That played a pretty textbook style for a 4th line.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Based on Coles production in the past couple of months, he isn't a better fit than Iafallo, Barron, or Appleton.

Sure, he's a better player - but if he isn't doing the thing that makes him a better player, then he doesn't help the team.

Those above players do things other than scoring that make them more useful to the Jets in this moment than Perfetti unfortunately.

It all comes down to 2 things:

The Jets should not trade performance for development considering their goals for this season
Players contribute more than points production, and you need a variety of roles to be a winning team.

People who are putting Cole alive the team needs are going to have a rough couple months ahead, especially if that 4th line keeps playing like they did in the last two. That played a pretty textbook style for a 4th line.
I mean sure, if they want to do that the rest of the season I think it is dumb but can somewhat understand that. Also the last two games were against trash teams, not sure how much value I put in those tbh.

If going forward into next season you have players like that blocking a better player cause of 'fit' you are failing.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I mean sure, if they want to do that the rest of the season I think it is dumb but can somewhat understand that. Also the last two games were against trash teams, not sure how much value I put in those tbh.

If going forward into next season you have players like that blocking a better player cause of 'fit' you are failing.
Your definition of "failing" includes being top 5 in the league?

Sometimes this place confuses me. About 10 months ago people were bitching because Chevy built the team to be in the "mushy middle" that would never be good enough to contend, or bad enough to draft an elite player with a top 3 pick

Now, Chevy and Bones have the team sitting at the top of the standings as a true contender and people are complaining about where their favorite players are (or aren't) playing in the line up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad