Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Sock pips PCB for the last WTF spot and finally reaches the top 10 at age 25.

USA tennis shrugs.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sock pips PCB for the last WTF spot and finally reaches the top 10 at age 25.

USA tennis shrugs.
I had him pegged for a fairly long time as a probable top twenty to thirty player, but never did I think he would break into the top ten. That's a fine achievement for him.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I watched Félix Auger-Aliassime's match this morning at the CH in Bratislava. He's had kind of a bad run lately but he looked really good today. FH and BH were really strong.

Such easy power for his age.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So NextGen Finals. Just a money-grab?
That, and a way to get exposure for some of their young and up and coming stars. Can't blame 'em. Roger and Rafa are the only players keeping this ship afloat at the moment. Without them, it looks like a virtual waste land on the men's side. I don't even know who the third ranked player in the world is currently.

Later: Zvevev followed by Thiem as it turns out, both in late season slumps and both not looking anything like ready to take over.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Shapo eliminated from the ATP Next Gen Finals after losing to Rublev today. Certainly a bit of a plateau for him after leaving North American soil in the fall. That said as long as he doesn't let fame get to him too much (I thought TIFF was a bit of a stretch) there's plenty to look forward to next year and beyond for the young phenom.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Shapo eliminated from the ATP Next Gen Finals after losing to Rublev today. Certainly a bit of a plateau for him after leaving North American soil in the fall. That said as long as he doesn't let fame get to him too much (I thought TIFF was a bit of a stretch) there's plenty to look forward to next year and beyond for the young phenom.

He's got tons of potential, obviously, but his game is still very raw and we need to remember he's only 18 years old.

He'll be on the main tour full time next year, so it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Felix lost yesterday in a tight match. Not sure what he has left on his schedule for this year.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just finished watching another young Canadian in action, Filip Peliwo. He just won his match over Fritz and is into the Knoxville CH SF. This win should hopefully get Filip in line for the Aussie Open qualifying.

Peliwo had a lot of success at the junior level (2 GS titles) but has never put it together at the pro level. He's healthy now and still only 23. Hopefully he can continue this good form.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No shame losing to Rublev, though, and Denis did give him a very tough match that could have gone either way right until the end.

Rublev and Chung in the finals, and on merit. On the basis of what I have seen, mainly highlight packages of various duration, they both looked head and shoulders above their competition this week.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev wins the very close first set (best of five format) in a breaker, 4-3 (a wrinkle for people with short attention spans, I guess).

Rublev loses the second set ugly. Serving at 3-2 for the set, he choked badly with two wild unforced errors and two double faults, after which he became a little bitch on court, taking it out on the ball boys who weren't getting him his (crying) towel fast enough. Chung won the breaker going away. Set apiece.

Great set. Rublev stays in a snit til 2-love, and, to his credit, recovers, only to be broken again late in the set by Chung, 4-2. Though bigger and stronger, Chung is huffing and puffing, so who knows how much gas he has left in the tank.

Another great set as Rublev saves two match points, forcing Chung to serve it out and he does, just barely, saving two set points along the way.

Terrific match, wonderful start to this tournament that I hope stays on the calendar. Well deserved win for Chung, the steadier player.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

They moved to 32 seeds in 2001 I believe but I like idea of going back to 16. Makes winning majors more difficult and creates more interesting early round matchups.

Also a fan of the shot clock. Speeding up the game is a good thing.

I can't be bothered with the coaching rule.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For the most part, I loved the format at Milan:

First player to get to four games wins the set in a best of five format--not crazy about that, but all the following I like:
No linespeople--all electronic
No doubles court--just a singles court with no outside lines visible
First player to win a point after deuce wins the game (it's exciting, but would come at the expense of some thrilling long games; so maybe I don't like it)
No such thing as a let cord on serve. (great idea)
Shot clock for service points (super great idea)

The format led to some really exciting tennis during the week.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
22 year Canadian and Stanford standout Carol Zhao won the 100k CH in Shenzhen. Biggest title of her young pro career and she'll move up to 150 in the live rankings.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This run up to the ATP finals sounds like "Roger and Rafa and the Six Dwarfs." Roger wins his first match against Sock. No confirmed word on Rafa for tomorrow though last I heard he was leaning to playing.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I couldn't bring myself to watch the match. I had a feeling something bad might happen. I'll catch a replay or highlights package. Of course, Rafa had to try, but it is very disappointing. It's a title he could really use, and this might well have been his best remaining chance.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
I couldn't bring myself to watch the match. I had a feeling something bad might happen. I'll catch a replay or highlights package. Of course, Rafa had to try, but it is very disappointing. It's a title he could really use, and this might well have been his best remaining chance.
There is nothing in this world better than Goffin beating Nadal. Join the party

Reactions: MsMeow

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
The 15 million or so Nadal fans on Facebook will be disappointed with this turn of events, but on the bright side the 6600 Carreno Busta fans will be delighted to know their man has made the WTF after all. :D

Actually it's a shame that Delpo was the second alternate as he could have been a legitimate contender even as a replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: