Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Congratulations, Serena + Alexis! Absolutely stunning!

More at this link for those interested.

cc: @PanthersPens62

1UqAMr0.jpg

DO4UZF1XUAAcwo_.jpg
Stunning pictures indeed! Thanks for posting these @Soliloquy of a Dogge! And best wishes to GOAT Serena for a wonderful life with Alexis & family. By the way, check out the Useless Thread in the Lounge, I gave you a shout out in 10,000 post!

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Awww man, that last game. Goffin will be kicking himself. He'll probably never get to this point again.

Congrats to Dimitrov though. Thought this was a great final.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Judging from the extended highlights, that looks like it was a hell of a match. Dimitrov at #3--man, hell of an accomplishment. In effect, it actually puts him at #1 among mortals. Goffn at #7 is a shocker to me, too. I'm obviously not his biggest fan, but he totally earned that ranking, so good for him.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Big win for Dimitrov, and a long time coming for a guy who is immensely talented. That said let's see if he can back up his position in the world top 5 at the business end of a major next year.

Same can be said for fellow top 5ers Zverev and Thiem.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
She played a beautiful game, and I am glad she came back and won Wimbledon eventually, but I will never forget the 93 final. My heart ached for her then as it does now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I remember reading some time ago that she was ill, presumably with cancer. I enjoyed watching her play. This is very sad news.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
She played a beautiful game, and I am glad she came back and won Wimbledon eventually, but I will never forget the 93 final. My heart ached for her then as it does now.
She actually topped that choke in '95 during the third round of the French Open. Here's a brief summary from The New York Times:
Facing a 19-year-old American, Chanda Rubin, Novotna led by 5-0, 40-0 on Rubin's serve in Saturday's final set. It is the biggest lead possible in a tennis set, but Novotna somehow managed to squander it, blowing nine match points before departing the tournament, 7-6 (10-8), 4-6, 8-6.

It seems such a blessing that she finally won Wimbledon in '98.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
She actually topped that choke in '95 during the third round of the French Open. Here's a brief summary from The New York Times:

It seems such a blessing that she finally won Wimbledon in '98.

Yes she clearly had issues with the mental/emotional aspect of the game. As a bit of a choker myself in my playing days, I recognized it in others all too readily.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
So the Davis Cup final begins tomorrow. Belgium will need Goffin to continue his recent form but you wonder how much gas he has left after last week's exertions and disappointment.

I have a slight preference for France but will be happy with either outcome if the tie is half as dramatic as the final last year.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Goffin with a beatdown of Pouille in the first rubber. Looks like he means business.

Tsonga replies with a minimum of fuss. One all heading into doubles on Saturday.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Goffin with a beatdown of Pouille in the first rubber. Looks like he means business.

Tsonga replies with a minimum of fuss. One all heading into doubles on Saturday.
Goffin is a beast in Davis Cup, 20-3 lifetime and 5-0 this year with huge wins over key players (Kyrgios and Pouille) whom he had never beaten before in three attempts apiece. From what I saw it looked like he played great against Pouille, like he was super determined with no letdown from London whatsoever. Even his down the line shots were on fire.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
5-5 in a great first set so far....Goffin takes an insanely tight breaker. He easily won the positional battle that set and every tactical miscue on Tsonga's part, David made him play for it. But Tsonga just played great tennis, especially in the latter part of the set. Fun stuff. Still anybody's match.

2nd set: with both players being very aggressive trying to get to the net every chance they get andTsonga no longer willing to concede the baseline. the set was tight until a bad double fault by Jo-Wilfried handed a huge break to Goffin, 4-2.....David not making any mistakes which is not to say that he is playing conservatively. He certainly is keeping a lot of pressure on Tsonga and winning all the key points that he needs to win....5-3 David who now has to close the set, not really a strong point....no problem this time, though, 6-3. Belgium is definitely in the driver's seat now.

3rd set: David breaks early, 2-1. Plenty of time for Tsonga to respond, though he must be feeling a trifle frustrated at the moment....with constant, intelligent pressure from Goffin, Tsonga is beginning to crack and gives up a sloppier break this time, 4-1.....5-2 as Tsonga recovers from his upset over a non-call by the chair umpire on crowd noise (I'm presuming)....David closes it out beautifully. Superb performance by him who has done all he can do to help Belgium this day.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pouille is up a set and a break over Darcis in the decideing tie. Minus a massive choke job or a broken leg, France has nothing to worry about.....second set gone, 6-1. Got to feel bad for Darcis. To lose in this situation is hard enough, but to play poorly only makes the humiliation so much worse.

3rd set: It just gets worse and worse. 2-love Pouille who needs do nothing but keep the ball in play....and it is over quickly if not mercifully, 6-3, 6-1, 6-0.

France is a very worthy Davis Cup champion once again.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
'Grats to France. Tsonga, Gasquet and the 'silver generation' (golden were it not for the Big four) finally get their hands on a major title.

And so ends another season of tennis. What a year it was.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
So what is everyone's pick for player and match of the year on the ATP?

For player I'm gonna go with Fed, who played over two thirds of the season and had the largest number of important wins and titles.

For match I'd go with Dimitrov/Nadal at the Australian Open (highlights below).

Reactions: Evil Speaker

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Player of the Year: Federer/Nadal. I'd support them for co-athlete of the year, as well.

Runners up: Dimitrov, Goffin, Zverev

Match of the year: Kyrgios/Federer, semifinals, Miami

Comeback of the decade:

Reactions: Evil Speaker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad