Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Can we, finally, put to rest the idea that Rafa somehow had a better season than Federer?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First match is Sock and Cilic, both losers on Sunday, so this should be a very hard-fought match.

First set, 7-5 to Marin. Celic really came out to play--you could measure his concentration by the pound--while Sock has started at low ebb. Jack will have to raise his game considerably if he hopes to turn this around.

Second set, 6-2 to Sock. Jack raised his game, starting hitting drop shots for winners and turned the match in his favour. Under pressure, as maddeningly usual, Cilic's forehand became a liability rather than an asset.

Sock takes a breaker after Cilic blows a 4-2 lead in the tie breaker and a 2-love lead in the set (incidentally, all three sets started 2-love in favour of one or the other). Sloppy, but entertaining match as Cilic was Cilic (choked) and Sock was Sock (easily distracted). How did Marin ever manage to keep it together long enough against Federer to win his US Open championship? He must have been replaced by an alien.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fed beats Alex in a breaker after a messy, end-0f-season first set. Zverev was up 4-love in the breaker but Jack Sock could have told him how that was likely going to go against Roger.

Totally listless Roger spews errors from the backhand and especially the forehand, and Zverev, who played extremely inconsistent tennis himself, takes the second set, 7-5. Roger deserves to lose this match. He is more in Basel than London at the moment.

Alexander drops off the face of the earth and all Roger need do is keep the ball in play, 6-1. Wretched, wretched match. I dunno. The WTA finals looked like they were full of pep; these guys looked like they should both have been on intravinious feeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, this is embarrassing. Goffin can neither threaten Grigor's serve nor hold his own, 6-love, 3-love so far. Ouch.

David perks up a little but not enough, love and 2. How bad was it? Dimitrov held 90% of his first serves; Goffin won 23% of his second serves.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's been a career season for Dimitrov and looks like he's still in good form.

Could finish the season in the top 5 for the first time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's been a career season for Dimitrov and looks like he's still in good form.

Could finish the season in the top 5 for the first time.
Given his fine win over Thiem, Grigor has definitely emerged as the most credible threat to Roger after the first two rounds. On form, I might even make him the favourite at the moment to win the title.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carreno-Busta and Thiem trade perfunctory 6-3 sets on the way to a good third set win for an exhausted looking Thiem, 6-4. Dominic looks like he wants to be on a beach right now. No surprise the guys in these groups that played the most tournaments during the year are struggling right now (Thiem played 26; Goffin played 25; Zverev played 24).

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Technically a nothing match for both players, but a match that Federer can use to find form off the ground which he has lacked so far this tournament.

Well, form remains elusive for Roger. First set to Cilic, 7-6 who is giving full effort. Roger's groundies continue to be problematic; he double-faulted four times (though his serve is keeping him in the match otherwise); and he is chipping too many returns. Though he has only played 11 tournaments to get here (think about that), he is 36-years-old and he has lacked sharpness all week.

2-1 on serve in the second set, but Roger in a real funk, playing loosely all over the court and looking unhappy and out of sorts....Fed works through his malaise and plays better tennis (mostly) the rest of the set...Cilic does Cilic and chokes the tenth game away to gift wrap Roger the set, 6-4. Bad but predictable thing for Marin to do--now Roger can see the finish line.

In what seems like seconds, Roger is up 3-love in the third set....the match score screams "Marin Cilic": 6-7, 6-4, 6-1 for Federer.

The good news is Roger's serve continues to be a wonder as he needed to save but one break point in the match. The bad news is that if I were Roger I wouldn't want to get into any backhand duels with Dimitrov at the moment.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sock versus Zverev: whoever wins goes to the semis. Simple as that. I'd be surprised if it doesn't go three sets.

Jock works hard for a break at 4-3, sloppily goes down love-40 on his serve, but holds on and serves the set out, 6-4. Sock is using s classic, simple strategy: draw Alexander wide, then hit to the open spaces. Zverev isn't playing horribly but his shots have no zing, no zip, no intensity. By the end of the set, he looked like a spent force, so it will be interesting to see whether he can adjust his game in the second set. I wouldn't say it's a certainty.

2-love Zverev who after saving a break point on his own serve starts going for the corners on Sock's serve with fine down the line play off both wings. Another break for Alexander, 5-love in, like, fifteen minutes. Tables turned awfully fast on Jack....ends up 6-1.

Thought it would go three, but I have no clue who will take it. Zverev has the momentum but that meant nothing after the first set....might mean something in this one as Alexander quickly breaks for 1-love...after a horrible service game for Alex, Sock breaks back, 1-1. Flip a coin, I guess....Jack feeds Alex junk balls with no pace and Zverev responds with unforced errors and another break for Sock, 3-1....super dumb, error-prone tennis from Sock lets Alex back in the match, 4-3 on serve. Weird match....A Zverev double fault leads to a break point which Jack converts for the match.

A roller coaster ride but not exactly a fun one as the thrills were brought about by wheels continuously falling off for both players. Great result for Sock, though, to go this deep in the fifth most important tournament on the men's schedule.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So with one day to go in the opening round robin, three of the four semifinalist have been determined, Federer, Dimitrov and Sock. The final piece of the puzzle will be provided by the winner of the Goffin/Thiem match tomorrow.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I like Thiem's chances against Goffin a lot in today's key match. Even against Rafa, Goffin looked at best very inconsistent with gusts to flat out mediocre. He's overtennised, playing on a high-bouncing court that doesn't suit his strokes, and his backhand has been exposed as merely adequate and when he tries to go down the line with it, not even that. Meanwhile, Thiem has improved in the third set of both his previous matches and has the greater fire power to call on. Dominic in straight sets.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
3-love, great start for Thiem....and then Dominic loses serve at love, 3-2. That's the way things have gone all tournament--consistency is in short supply....Thiem's strokes get a bad case of the heebie-jeebies and he is broken again. Ugly. 4-3 David on top....4 winners and 18 unforced errors between the two to this point....David completes his comeback; Dominic continues to misfire, 6-4. Sloppy as hell first set.

2-1 in the second and the first break goes to David as Thiem continues to struggle unsuccessfully with his wonky forehand.....Now Thiem's backhand is infected, he's getting only 45% of his first serves in, and his game is a rowboat springing leaks everywhere, sinking fast, as he goes down another break, 4-1. Goffin is playing high percentage, smart, steady tennis--doing nothing untoward just letting Thiem self-destruct...11 minutes of bad tennis from both players takes the set to 5-1....Thiem is broken again for the match.

After his strong 3-love start, Thiem lost 12 of the next 14 games. Goffin won but hardly looked the world beater doing it. Can't imagine David beating Roger.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Fun fact about the Final Four at the WTF: none of the 4 were ranked in the Top 10 at the end of last year.

Anyways fully expecting Fed/Dimitrov on Sunday.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Despite an iffy forehand yet again, Roger breaks immediately and is off to an early lead, 2-1....Roger has 14 unforced errors in seven games, almost all of them on the forehand side, and he is absolutely killing poor Goffin anyway. With Roger being casually brilliant whenever the mood strikes him, David is getting chased around all over the court, inspecting nearly every inch of the surface while eventually losing points, 6-2 Roger.

Federer just doesn't think that Goffin can beat him; that's where all that confidence comes from. It's a fun feeling until the worm turns, but the nice thing is that very often the worm doesn't.

More loose unforce errors, though, lead to an early break in the second set for Goffin who is having some luck just hitting down the middle to Roger's wonky forehand side, 2-love....David starts to win more than his share of baseline rallies while Roger continues to display to sense of urgency at all. If he started buffing his nails, it wouldn't surprise me, 5-2....and Goffin takes the set without further ado, 6-3.

Harumph....Cue the faux suspense.

I have informed my butler to bet all of my vast international fortune of several trillion dollars on Roger to win the third set (setting aside the Bentley, of course).

1-1 but Roger's forehand continues to be the source of way too many free points for Goffin....who gets the early break, 2-1......David is playing smart tennis, not doing anything all that dramatic just keeping the pressure of Roger's weaknesses of the day. Of course, we now have Goffin exactly where we want him (cue maniacal laughter)....graphic came up, 20 unforced forehand errors for Roger and that is being very generous...now Roger is interested but David bends but doesn't break, 3-1....classic Roger--super quick love service game and now the pressure is back immediately on Goffin....who continues to play very well, 4-3....now 5-3 as David begins to dominate from the baseline and move Roger all over the place....Roger looks old but holds to make Goffin serve for the match. David used to be a lousy closer but not so much anymore....but he starts with two aces and holds for his first win over Roger. Great timing. Roger very gracious at the net.

I will now go and eat a delicious helping of crow.

Thank god I kept the Bentley.

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Goffin is only the 6th man ever to beat both Nadal and Federer in the same tournament.

Nalbandian, Djokovic, Davydenko, JMDP and Murray being the other five.

Reactions: kihei

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Goffin is only the 6th man ever to beat both Nadal and Federer in the same tournament.

Nalbandian, Djokovic, Davydenko, JMDP and Murray being the other five.

That is a crazy stat.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Actually it would still be five. Only Djokovic and Davydenko beat them both at the ATP Finals, but Djokovic did it on a couple of other occasions while Davydenko beat them back to back at the 2010 Qatar Open.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the moment, only the sixth, seventh and eighth seeds are left standing. This one is a fun match up between two guys you wouldn't have expected to be here even four months ago.

Grigor zooms out to a 3-love lead; Jack fights back, 3-2 on serve....Sock gets an opportune break for 5-4. The Dimitrov Express has slowed to a crawl....Jack is playing aggressively and it is paying off, 6-4.

Again Grigor gets the early break, 2-love, his concentration seemingly restored.....Sock struggles to win points on his serve and the set flashes by 6-love for Dimitrov. The theme of the week--maddeningly inconsistent tennis from set to set and sometimes from game to game--continues.

Maybe Dimitrov's nerves will become a factor again. It certainly has happened before enough times although he has done better lately than in the past.

3-2 on serve in a very entertaining well-played set. No clear favourite to win....Sock is broken after he loses a bit of concentration on a point overrule, though it was ultimately in his favour, and suddenly Grigor is serving for the match at 5-3.... Dimitrov gets to 40-15 and then tightens. It takes an exciting ten minute game to do it, but he eventually holds on for a huge win.

Dimitrov versus Goffen in the final. Who woulda thunk?

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Congratulations, Serena + Alexis! Absolutely stunning!

More at this link for those interested.

cc: @PanthersPens62

1UqAMr0.jpg

DO4UZF1XUAAcwo_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad