Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v9.0: IceHogs/Fuel/NCAA/Jr./Int'l - Too Many Cooks in Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Barratt was chirping him in the penalty box before that, too.

But he's at PSU so..worthless prospects, amirite?
I’ll even admit I wasn’t thrilled because I hadn’t really seen Penn State really develop anybody unlike some other major programs like Michigan, UND, Wisconsin, Minnesota, St Cloud, BU, anyway, you get my point.

I was wrong.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I’ll even admit I wasn’t thrilled because I hadn’t really seen Penn State really develop anybody unlike some other major programs like Michigan, UND, Wisconsin, Minnesota, St Cloud, BU, anyway, you get my point.

I was wrong.

They're still a new program. Takes time. It can start with him. I get wondering a little bit about the program as a whole developing players, but BWC's rationale was off the charts bad, which the original joke was in reference to.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I was wrong.

Sorry this was not in reference to you.

Penn State has actually already placed players professionally when the draft happened. Obviously their numbers are not as high as traditional powerhouses. There are powerhouses that teams don't want kids staying at like Minnesota (due to Lucia) so you never know. They have the funding and infrastructure to be a great program so I am not worried. Would I rather he go to BC or BU? 100% but it is his choice.

His progress or far is good.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
how close was Kaymov to making it? I'm not high on Offlsson but he may be close. I'm not sure where tuulio would rate.

nsanta91

Jan 30, 2018
If anyone would be interested in joining my blog and covering the teams top prospects and Rockford news let me know! or just writing in general

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
OK so let us do some extrapolation
...Jokiharju has 8g 49a and is +31 in 52 GP in the WHL for Portland...He only turns 19 this summer ...Jake Ryzcek turns 20 in March has 5 g 15a in 25 GP and is +13 for Halifax of the QMJHL....leaving any comparison of the strength of the WHL vs. the Q ,if we extrapolate Ryzcek for 52 games he actually is on a better goal scori g pace (10 to 8) and only 4 assists behind Jokiharju (27 to 31) ...so as far as 2 guys in Major Junior they are pretty close! YES
.....Ryzcek is older by a year and and a couple of months ...so it would be I
interesting to see what Jokiharju puts up next season if he goes back to juniors ....but some say unless Jokiharju is "ready" next season to jump right in to the Hawks lineup and be a top pair partner for Keith ,Hawks again will not have a goid enough d-corps to be an elite contender again ..He has to be the fifference-maker on defense especialky given our lack of scoring production from the back-end..

Now ...whether Jokiharju is "ready "next October at just 19 is not very likely ..because as we know Dmen take longer ...though some rookie Dmen like Charlie McAvoy made immediate impacts and pkay big monutes in their rookie campaigns ..If Jokiharju can come in and impact ...great..but do not bet the farm on it... OF he goes back to Juniors he should dominated nate even more ..but my point is that Ryzcek at 20 may in fact be "readier" than the younger Jokiharju is..But you never know ..My pint is tgat both put up simolar production pace on Juniors but usually a 20 year old is going to be more mature than a 19 year old ...not Lay's. .but usually there bis a greater mental a nd physical maturity in 19 yr old over 28 year Olds and in 20 year Olds over 19 year Olds. .And of course,nobody is saying Ryzcek is expected to be the rookie "Saviour on D ...So this puts even greater pressure pn Jokiharju to buck the almost impossible expectation to make a difference so soon..But it is interesting when you extrapolate a projected goals and assists rate for Ryzcek to the same games as Jokiharju has pkayed that the numbers come out so close ...But on this and his older age y ou could argue Ryzcek has as much chance of impacting with the Hawks next season as does Jokiharju ...Both play on good talented tens ...

But if you really want to compare fo r impact. .consider drFt eligible Evan Bouchard who plays for London in the OHL ...he is younger ..bigger ..a better Goal Scorer and while you do not expect hom to make the show right away at his young age ,you expect he gets drafted at #5,6 or 7 this draft ..And you expect tgat whoever drafts him will have a really great impact dman one day given his high drFt slot and his abilities and size Nd 3 WY game . BUT no eY will tge Hawks draft this certainly n top pairing dman ...because either they wi a e lottery and take Dahlin if they get #2 or they take wingers Zadina or Svechnikov at #2 or #4 and if they do not get a lottery win they probably drFt I the 8-13 slit most likely at 10 or 11 if you are betting .. The only tgey could get Bouchard is tp trade back up to 5,6orr 7 if Bo u chard still pn the board bu offering both their firsts to move up..So the issue is ...if they do not win the lottery,what do you think they value most .....trying to get Bouchard and all he brings as a Dman..or taking perhaps 2 centers with 10 or 11 and 28-31 most likely where their 2 first rounders are?Or perhaps 1 C and 1 W?

Bouchard is a late "99 so only about 4 months younger than Jokiharju ....he is 6'2 and 189 lbs ...21 g 55 a in 57 GP +16 ...he was +30 last season when London had a better team. ..

I wonder how many goals and assists and +/- he would have if he played with the talent I Portland OR Halifax this season. .

So I think it is safe to say IF tge Hawjscrealkyvwantvthat forcsure top pair difference making big minutes D'man (also a RD) then maybe this ought to consider trying to move up for him.?Not aayonh Jokiharju or even Ryczek cannot make a difference one day ...but they are again smaller PMD types and neither is a big shot from the pii t to beat goalies a lot ...lije tge ability Bouchard seems to have ...just saying. .....But you would expect this...Jokiharju a late first and Ryzcek a late round pick ...Bouchard will go top 7 I this draft ..He shoukd be a big prize ..but not sure if a team would give up the chance for him for say a 20 or 11 pick plus a 26 to 31 pick ...But at least the Hawks nay want to try to move up a few spots to get him..Eve though it would be another RD ..and we already loaded up on RD last draft ..So our nerds are perhaps not immediately ..but still to have greater depth at Centre in development ...and nd to find better goalie prospects. ..Nalimov looked like he was emerging in the KHL this srason with elite goaltending stats...but it might have been the system and team defending see helping him ...because once he got traded to another KHL team his numbers were not as great ...Probably faced more shots and better quality chances with his new team and the s ave % dropped down from the lofty heights he had with his former team.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he has Jokiharju spelled right like a dozen times...not shitting you....but everything else??? flip a coin and guess which one syllable words are spelled wrong. i try FIDDY, I truly try to understand these things..

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
What I don't like is he seems to go back and forth on how to draft, a few he only took American players and passed on better players, some drafts he only want size. take the best player at every pick.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What I don't like is he seems to go back and forth on how to draft, a few he only took American players and passed on better players, some drafts he only want size. take the best player at every pick.
my take is, like his father before him will hedge toward the Europeans ..... just my opinion here.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Was looking back at 15 draft and we very well could have zero NHL players from that draft. Almost none are really tracking well.

Gilbert and Tuulola have a chance but not a great draft.

17' is look really really good.
16' is looking solid.
14' is looking like 4-5 players will make it.
13' is a good draft.
12' is not great.
11' is really solid minus McNeil.
10' was solid.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Gilbert and Tuulola have a chance but not a great draft.

17' is look really really good.
16' is looking solid.
14' is looking like 4-5 players will make it.
13' is a good draft.
12' is not great.
11' is really solid minus McNeil.
10' was solid.

I like Gilbert's chances. I think he can be a good bottom-pairing D-man.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
As do I. I think people seem to expect every player to be a top 6 player or top 4 D and if they are not it is a failure.
Knott pick was rough, especially considering who was taken around him. I forgot Gilbert actually, I think he’ll be a Forbort type player

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
here is a query for those who really, i am meaning asking from who really follow RFD minor league. while the stats really do not give a good feeling, but a visual pov will be great. how is their defensive scheme. the reason i am asking is, if that HC is the Bhawks future coach, i am wondering on how he works the defense and their scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad