All Purpose PK Subban Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know the question sounds silly, but there are still some on the Habs board who are in lala land over this trade.

Shame the Preds loss.. to the refs.
To each their own I suppose. Shea is a great player no doubt, and we loved him here, but I think PK is a much, much better fit here, in regards to being accepted in the culture of our organization and more importantly, the style of play we have.

Also he shocked all of us by being as good as he's been defensively.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
To each their own I suppose. Shea is a great player no doubt, and we loved him here, but I think PK is a much, much better fit here, in regards to being accepted in the culture of our organization and more importantly, the style of play we have.

Also he shocked all of us by being as good as he's been defensively.

I for one wasn't shoked at all. We've seen him play like that under Jacques Martin. He was a rock in his first ever playoffs. He frustrated Crosby with his def play for a whole series. He had played only 4 games in the NHL before that series started. It was quite a promising start, to say the least.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I know the question sounds silly, but there are still some on the Habs board who are in lala land over this trade.

Shame the Preds loss.. to the refs.

Not surprising but I think many posters on the Habs board these days are provincial management fans, whose bigoted local media who would applaud Bergevin if he traded Galchenyuk for Pageau.

On the Preds board the last 12 mos there was shock at first. There was a slow start for PK while Weber started strong, but the fans remained rational about the trade. After the great playoff run I think only a tiny minority here would reverse it. There's more objectivity here.

Trade may be one of the reasons Poile won GM of the year and Bergevin got not a single vote.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Wanted to bring the Subban discussion here. Let me chime in on this:

Subban hasn't been that good lately. He has made a lot flashy mistakes, turned the puck over, getting his shot blocked that have led to turnovers and taking a whole lot of dumb penalties. He has produced well, gotten empty netter points and feeding the puck to Forsberg on PP.

He was good the 10 games but since that he's slowed down and the truth is he needs to get better. Whether that happens with Ekholm, I'm not sure but I think it does. Emelin isn't nearly as good but once he's settled down he's been decent.

The debate about his paycheck is fair, IMO. He is the highest-paid defenseman in the league but he's not nearly the best d-man in the league let alone in this team. Subban almost makes more than 59, 14 and 4 combined. And in my opinion it is reasonable to expect Subban to take games over and be the driving force in the play all the while not creating turnovers and taking dumb penalties.

I'm really glad for THE trade and really glad that we have Subban. He and Ekholm made one hell of a pairing last season and they'll do that again. They were one of the biggest reasons we went to the Finals.

This is my point: Subban is good but $9M good? No.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
and i will say i love the trade for weber. weber can't compete with subban going forward. that said, subban has sucked lately and he has to step it up. or not.. he is making 9 million a year.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
And I think he will step up when he returns to Ekholm and they start doing their thing again. But until that happens, he needs to simplify his game and not try to do too much.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
I have to admit, I probably watched about half the games we played this season. So small sample size ;)
Main thing I noticed with Subban is that he holds on to the puck just a tad too long, which obviously gets him in trouble way too often.
What I also can‘t figure out is why he doesn‘t use his one-timer more. He keeps stopping the puck before going for the slapper, which allows any semi-decent NHL-level PKer to get up close in the shooting lane, leading to dangerous blocks and counter-attacks on the PP. I think I have seen him use his one-timer once or twice this season. One of them hitting the back of the net.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I have to admit, I probably watched about half the games we played this season. So small sample size ;)
Main thing I noticed with Subban is that he holds on to the puck just a tad too long, which obviously gets him in trouble way too often.

This is my main complaint. I understand the idea because if you can draw in a defender (or two) you can make a play to a teammate and create an offensive opportunity and it's a pretty good idea when you're with Ekholm so if you do get stripped of the puck you have a beast of a defenseman backing you up. The problem is until Ellis comes back he's going to have Emelin backing him up. Emelin is fine for what he is but he's not Ekholm.

So just take it easy on the chances you're taking right now. Not to say you can't take any but there's a time and a place for them.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The dollar debate is a bit laughable, especially when you bring the rest of our Dmen into the mix. Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm are all on sweetheart deals because they signed longer term before they were what they are now. All of 3 of them would be making nearly double what they are making now if not more if those contracts had come a bit later. Poile was smart when he signed them for what he did when he did, that's the only reason you can make dumb statements that he makes more than them all combined. Is it a correct statement? Sure, but it's like being right on a technicality.

Reactions: myFialabot

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
What I also can‘t figure out is why he doesn‘t use his one-timer more. He keeps stopping the puck before going for the slapper, which allows any semi-decent NHL-level PKer to get up close in the shooting lane, leading to dangerous blocks and counter-attacks on the PP. I think I have seen him use his one-timer once or twice this season. One of them hitting the back of the net.

I think his confidence is not quite there right now, he's a bit hesitant when the pass is not exactly where he wants it to be. But also, and most importantly, on the PP he's the setup guy. He was setting up Josi for the one-timer, about 2 or 3 times per PP. Now the strategy seems to be setting up Forsberg who can attack the net and use his wrist shot.

Last season, he was setting up Ellis on the PP.

When Subban has the puck, the other team knows he can shoot it, pass it or deke, so they pay close attention to him, which opens up space for his other teammates. I assume the coaches think the PP will be better if Subban is used in that role, then if he's the shooter.

But the new PP setup with him and Forsberg is still fairly new, I think they'll find ways to use Subban's one timer more.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think it's laughable that people think PK is a problem. He does what he does. Sometimes he's going to make mistakes because of the game he plays. He does a lot more good than bad. His mistakes are magnified beyond belief around here and once again, it's laughable. Josi allowing a guy to shoot between his legs and then trying to cover a guy making a pass on the 3rd or 4th goal when he should've been covering the guy who didn't have the puck.

All these guys make mistakes. Very few players are flawless game in and game out. I will take PK any day of the week on my team, even with the mistakes he makes.

This fan base has one person make a comment, everyone piles on and that's the word. It's a joke to be honest. He makes a ton of money. I get it. He's not Lidstrom. He's the only player in recent memory who played nearly perfect every shift. You get what you get with PK and that's one hell of a player. It's easy to call out "mistakes". Watch the entirety of the game and you may see a lot of things differently.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't think I ever said Subban was the problem. Simply making clear that in my papers he's not "$9M dollar" good.

Reactions: Torque

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think it's laughable that people think PK is a problem. He does what he does. Sometimes he's going to make mistakes because of the game he plays. He does a lot more good than bad. His mistakes are magnified beyond belief around here and once again, it's laughable. Josi allowing a guy to shoot between his legs and then trying to cover a guy making a pass on the 3rd or 4th goal when he should've been covering the guy who didn't have the puck.

All these guys make mistakes. Very few players are flawless game in and game out. I will take PK any day of the week on my team, even with the mistakes he makes.

This fan base has one person make a comment, everyone piles on and that's the word. It's a joke to be honest. He makes a ton of money. I get it. He's not Lidstrom. He's the only player in recent memory who played nearly perfect every shift. You get what you get with PK and that's one hell of a player. It's easy to call out "mistakes". Watch the entirety of the game and you may see a lot of things differently.
Great post Glenn.

If we want to take about performance for value, there are also some better targets for criticism (the 8 million dollar man on pace for 10 goals and 56 pts is a good place to start).

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

This times infinity thread should be frozen on Glenn's post

Reactions: predhead1

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i stick by my previous assessment of PK. a little more colorful and dramatic than needed but there is no hidden agenda. PK has been average at best. he isn't worth his pay and i really believe he just isn't as strong or fast on the puck as in years past. he's still a good defenseman compared to most around the league but with his price tag there will be scrutiny. if everyone thinks his play is where it needs to be and are happy with his contract and status on the team going forward then that's the end of the discussion. ekholm has been our best defender. josi has stunk at times too. subban just isn't being smart with the puck. it may come from being with emelin and doing too much. don't know and don't really care.

and as much as everyone gets worked up about people's opinions, just know i laugh and find it comical. i did not mean to get everyone riled up about PK. i will refrain from posting any negative remarks concerning him as there seems to be nothing but infinite whining when there is something negative said about him.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i won't post in this thread going forward and won't bring up his name in a GDT. problem solved. i will let his play do the talking and laugh when the sarcastic posts are up glamoring over a PK secondary assist on a PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad