Speculation: All Purpose Pierre-Luc Dubois Discussion 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Torts is so toxic. What's the point in hiring him? How many teams has he coached now? He signs, spouts off in the media, yells at some players enough until he loses the room, gets fired, rinse and repeat every 3-4 years.

Reactions: HabsForHire

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You guys love your French boys though. Wasn't there a story that they wanted to trade P.K. to Edmonton for their pick to draft Dubois? But then CBJ ruined it for them.

And now he's available. Bergy might just be salivating about it :naughty:

I'm not a Habs fan but I know if I was I wouldn't trade Suzuki personally.

I'm actually a Sens fan so that tells you how highly I think of Suzuki.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
While I agree on this, it isn't what CBJ needs. They need a top line center back NOW, if they are making the trade. They are not rebuilding. They are not in a hurry to make the trade if they can't get a suitable package back.

They can need it all day, anyone who has a top line center (unless they’ve secretly asked out too) isn’t trading them for PLD. It makes no sense. Teams looking to acquire PLD are looking to ADD a center, so expecting them to subtract one is counterintuitive. Center prospects are a different story; you may get a Kotka or Chytil, but not an established top six center. Which has nothing to do with the value of PLD. It’s just logistics and common sense. No team looking to add a current top six center has spare top six centers to include, otherwise they wouldn’t be looking to add one.

Columbus is realistically going to be best suited taking the biggest, bestest package they can get, regardless of position and then deciding, between the pieces they just acquired and those already on their roster, what they want to keep and which parts to put into a package to go out and acquire their new top C via a secondary trade. For example, you get a 22 year old established 3/4 Dman with further upside, an A+ level winger prospect and a 1st from a team that has dismal center depth but is willing to give up some great pieces to add a center. You then turn around and package the Dman, the 1st and maybe one of your own prospects and sent them to a team that’s about to enter a rebuild and has a 26 year old 1C whose age may not fit the timeline with the window.

You end up with a 1C from a different team to replace PLD and the A+ prospect from the first trade while flipping the other parts. That’s probably the more likely path by which Columbus emerges with a replacement C.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
The guy seems to have an entitled attitude. Surely isn't helping his trade value.

Quebecer wants to play for Montreal. Join the line. You were drafted into the NHL and are paid millions to do it. Show some appreciation and play out your contract.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
No way Habs trade Suzuki for PLD. And if anyone talked about Suzuki ++ for PLD, it's not going to happen.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They can need it all day, anyone who has a top line center (unless they’ve secretly asked out too) isn’t trading them for PLD. It makes no sense. Teams looking to acquire PLD are looking to ADD a center, so expecting them to subtract one is counterintuitive. Center prospects are a different story; you may get a Kotka or Chytil, but not an established top six center. Which has nothing to do with the value of PLD. It’s just logistics and common sense. No team looking to add a current top six center has spare top six centers to include, otherwise they wouldn’t be looking to add one.

Columbus is realistically going to be best suited taking the biggest, bestest package they can get, regardless of position and then deciding, between the pieces they just acquired and those already on their roster, what they want to keep and which parts to put into a package to go out and acquire their new top C via a secondary trade. For example, you get a 22 year old established 3/4 Dman with further upside, an A+ level winger prospect and a 1st from a team that has dismal center depth but is willing to give up some great pieces to add a center. You then turn around and package the Dman, the 1st and maybe one of your own prospects and sent them to a team that’s about to enter a rebuild and has a 26 year old 1C whose age may not fit the timeline with the window.

You end up with a 1C from a different team to replace PLD and the A+ prospect from the first trade while flipping the other parts. That’s probably the more likely path by which Columbus emerges with a replacement C.
This seems like a roundabout way of saying "accept a 'flip them for what you really want' deal", which is, of course, the way GMs get screwed over.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

These types of trades don't happen in the real world.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Something else i don't think most fans here are thinking about is how teams evolve over the course of the season. Not everyone lives up to expectations, some players exceed expectations, players get hurt/come back, teams go on hot/cold streaks, etc.

Point is just because a team "would never make that trade" today, doesn't mean they won't in a few months(at least in a normal season). Jarmo has shown an ability to be patient and wait for the right deal. If he's not getting the value he wants today, he knows he can wait for the right one.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I wonder if they would take vaakanainen and studnicka for PLD from the bruins. Studnicka has some pretty nice upside. Vaakanainen is excellent at closing the gap he is a pretty solid defence prospect. Maybe toss in another prospect or pick

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
So if I criticize the Oilers rebuild I am envious of McDavid and Drasaitl (who, face it, are much more envy worthy than anyone the Rangers have)

I'm sure Rangers will be a good team coming out of the rebuild but they squandered a ton of resources and opportunity to become a Tampa or Colorado tier team and forfeited a couple years of being competitive. In 2 years they'll be entering playoff growing pains that Toronto was going through 2 years ago

let me guess you think the current Caps will stay a contender longer than New York:boredom:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Torts is so toxic. What's the point in hiring him? How many teams has he coached now? He signs, spouts off in the media, yells at some players enough until he loses the room, gets fired, rinse and repeat every 3-4 years.
He wins. He is has a winning system.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I personally think it ends up being a package around a Chytil type, similar to the Jones/Johansen. That is our best bet at landing a top C. Basically trading for someone who has shown they can play in the NHL at the very least but is maybe stuck behind depth or has yet to prove they are a top line talent.

Reactions: TheBPA

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
let me guess you think the current Caps will stay a contender longer than New York:boredom:

No but it would be cool if the Rangers were a super team while the caps were in their rebuild stage instead of this half assed excuse for a rebuild torpedoing their advantage, because super teams are fun. But given that the Caps have actually been managed competently for the most part since McPhee left it would not surprise me if the caps hang in there on the shoulders of Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana, McMichael, Samsonov and their up and coming prospects.

At the very least for Rangers fans sakes hopefully their management has a plan for replacing Quinn with a real coach. At least we cut our Reirden experiment 2 years in

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This seems like a roundabout way of saying "accept a 'flip them for what you really want' deal", which is, of course, the way GMs get screwed over.

Regardless, make a list of teams that feasibly have legitimate (not prospective) top six centers that you think are actually available or would be swapped for PLD. Not ones PLD is WORTH. Ones you think the team would actually move for him. Because even if PLD is on par with them, why would they shake up their lockerroom to substitute two similar players. It has to be justifiable. I just don’t see more than a small handful of teams in the entire league that have those players, this year or next year.

Now prospects - guys like Chytil, Kotka, Norris, etc. is a different story. But established, step in right now and play 18+ minutes at top six caliber. I don’t see many options for you.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
The guy seems to have an entitled attitude. Surely isn't helping his trade value.

Quebecer wants to play for Montreal. Join the line. You were drafted into the NHL and are paid millions to do it. Show some appreciation and play out your contract.
He is the line of French players wanting to play in Montreal.....:laugh:

Reactions: Riggins and Kegs

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
He wins. He is has a winning system.

He's hard on his stars. It's extremely difficult for offensive players to be productive stars and toe his line defensively, Not everyone can play for him in the moment. I like him and his coaching style a lot, but I know I wouldn't feel that way if i was subjected to it daily.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
He's hard on his stars. It's extremely difficult for offensive players to be productive stars and toe his line defensively, Not everyone can play for him in the moment. I like him and his coaching style a lot, but I know I wouldn't feel that way if i was subjected to it daily.
He's a guy you bring in for a year or two to kick your organization in the arse and get them on track, but those type of coaches have a short shelf life.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
PLD put Columbus behind the 8 ball here...he asked to be traded to Montreal cause I imagine he wants to play there. If other teams try to trade for him they know he'll probably just play out his 2 year contract and bolt to Montreal after.
How many teams are willing to give up great pieces for 2 years of PLD? Not to mention he looks like he's just going through the motions in Columbus. What's to say he doesn't do the same thing with his new team?
So basically the best pieces would come from Montreal as other teams wouldn't risk it.
I may be wrong but it seems logical.

Edit : forgot about the 2 extra years of RFA years...oh well anyways I still think given all this the best pieces would come from Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad