Speculation: All Purpose Pierre-Luc Dubois Discussion 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dubois isn't a finished product as well. But he's already a physical 1C at 22 in one of the most demanding systems in the league. Kaakko would have to be a PPG winger to eclipse what Dubois brings now let alone what he's capable of bringing
You can’t rate the 2 players the same when one is almost 3 years older then the other. Just because PLD is better now doesn’t mean he will be in the long run and vice versa. But any team that trade a consensus league wide top 2 pick in the draft a year after they got him would be crazy. Kakko is going to be a damn good player very soon but people aren’t patient enough, especially since NYR just won the LAF sweepstakes

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
You can’t rate the 2 players the same when one is almost 3 years older then the other. Just because PLD is better now doesn’t mean he will be in the long run and vice versa. But any team that trade a consensus league wide top 2 pick in the draft a year after they got him would be crazy. Kakko is going to be a damn good player very soon but people aren’t patient enough, especially since NYR just won the LAF sweepstakes

Maybe, oe maybe he ends up like Puljujarvi/MPS/other wingers who dominated smaller leagues without a particular skillet that really stands out. Again, he has to bring substantially more as a winger than Dubois as a physical C to have comparable impact on the game, especially in the playoffs. Just look at how Dubois turned the Leafs into mulch last year

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dubois isn't a finished product as well. But he's already a physical 1C at 22 in one of the most demanding systems in the league. Kaakko would have to be a PPG winger to eclipse what Dubois brings now let alone what he's capable of bringing. You could probably scale his play in NYC to the same degree as Panarin before even factoring that he's years from his prime
I don’t think PLD is a 1C on a true contender. He’s def a 2C you would want on a contender, but he’s not quite a top 15-20 guy yet, and he nay never be and that’s ok. If he takes the next step that’s great too, but their are risks in everything. Right now PLD had his best year numbers wise with Panarin on his wing. I honestly what to see a bigger sample size from him as well. Strome can put up points with Panarin too. One thing is for sure, PLD did have a great playoff

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Maybe, oe maybe he ends up like Puljujarvi/MPS/other wingers who dominated smaller leagues without a particular skillet that really stands out. Again, he has to bring substantially more as a winger than Dubois as a physical C to have comparable impact on the game, especially in the playoffs. Just look at how Dubois turned the Leafs into mulch last year
Theres a small possibility he can bust, I feel like he compares much more to Barkov’s Path as their roads to development have been more similar then the 2 players stated above

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I don’t think PLD is a 1C on a true contender. He’s def a 2C you would want on a contender, but he’s not quite a top 15-20 guy yet, and he nay never be and that’s ok. If he takes the next step that’s great too, but their are risks in everything. Right now PLD had his best year numbers wise with Panarin on his wing. I honestly what to see a bigger sample size from him as well. Strome can put up points with Panarin too. One thing is for sure, PLD did have a great playoff

Dubois was Kaakkos age when he was putting up those"points with Panarin" lol.

Dubois at this point comfortable projects as an O'Reilly+ level player and well ahead of where Zibanejad was at his age. The young 1C you're envisioning would cost Laf not Kaakko

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dubois was Kaakkos age when he was putting up those"points with Panarin" lol.

Dubois at this point comfortable projects as an O'Reilly+ level player and well ahead of where Zibanejad was at his age. The young 1C you're envisioning would cost Laf not Kaakko
Oh he’s costs LAF now. Maybe his will contend with McDavid soon and challenge Gretzky’s records. Give me a break. Your making yourself look silly

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Read again or ask someone with reading comprehension to help
Yes I saw. You said PLD can put up points with Panarin so can Strome. Doesn’t mean their value is the same. Your judging kakko on a sub par rookie year after playing non. Stop hockey. He has dominated leagues with men as a kid. But you will continue to make clown shoes arguments about legit prospects anyway. So go ahead keep going

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Yes I saw. You said PLD can put up points with Panarin so can Strome. Doesn’t mean their value is the same. Your judging kakko on a sub par rookie year after playing non. Stop hockey. He has dominated leagues with men as a kid. But you will continue to make clown shoes arguments about legit prospects anyway. So go ahead keep going

PLD has shown that he can lead the team in points without Panarin as well. In a far more demanding system than Kaakko or Strome are playing.

But yeah, no point trying to reason with intentionally obtuse homers who deliberately misconstrue my words. Later

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I've always found narratives in hockey to be quite interesting. Dubois is generally viewed as a 1C, Monahan is questioned on whether he actually is one.

Monahan can't skate and can't defend. Dubois is a much more complete player. And no one can accuse him of needing a Gadreau level winger to produce.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
PLD has shown that he can lead the team in points without Panarin as well. In a far more demanding system than Kaakko or Strome are playing.

But yeah, no point trying to reason with intentionally obtuse homers who deliberately misconstrue my words. Later
Your right this reminds me of conversations with fans I had in the trouba thread before he was dealt. Time will tell and we will just have to wait and see until PLD is dealt. I’m guessing mostly a package of prospects young players and a 1st. Highly doubt he returns anyone top 2-3 blue chip prospects but he will still return a good batch of quality youth because he is a good young player himself. Teams will want to add them with their top young guys, not trade them in a lateral move.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Your right this reminds me of conversations with fans I had in the trouba thread before he was dealt. Time will tell and we will just have to wait and see until PLD is dealt. I’m guessing mostly a package of prospects young players and a 1st. Highly doubt he returns anyone top 2-3 blue chip prospects but he will still return a good batch of quality youth because he is a good young player himself. Teams will want to add them with their top young guys, not trade them in a lateral move.

Dubois is a much better player though. At least hopefully. Crazy how no jets fans are disappointed with the return and prefer it to keeping Trouba at the contact he ended up signing even though he got half of what his hype warranted because his insistence on only NYR killed any potential bidding war.

We'll see though

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Dubois is a much better player though. At least hopefully. Crazy how no jets fans are disappointed with the return and prefer it to keeping Trouba at the contact he ended up signing even though he got half of what his hype warranted because his insistence on only NYR killed any potential bidding war.

We'll see though

If their draft pick wasn’t Heinola you would probably see more upset. Let’s hope CBJ drafts well with the pick they get. Some are sour grapes. Truth be told neither morrissey or trouba have been as good since they split up that pair. They each have had their 10-12 game surges but nothing consistent like the 60 odd games they had together.

trouba didn’t insist on NYR. There were a narrow group of teams that fit the criteria, much like PLD, that had the need for the player, assets to get him, and cap to resign him long term assuming that’s where he wants to play. I’m sure PLD would love to step into NYR 2nd line center between his boy Panarin on the left and Lafreniere on the right

YanniPodz

Jan 17, 2021

PLD was on pace for 57 points last year without Panarin and only 1 winger playing more than 50 games, so he's already shown he can produce without him.

Reactions: Fro

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If their draft pick wasn’t Heinola you would probably see more upset. Let’s hope CBJ drafts well with the pick they get. Some are sour grapes. Truth be told neither morrissey or trouba have been as good since they split up that pair. They each have had their 10-12 game surges but nothing consistent like the 60 odd games they had together.

trouba didn’t insist on NYR. There were a narrow group of teams that fit the criteria, much like PLD, that had the need for the player, assets to get him, and cap to resign him long term assuming that’s where he wants to play. I’m sure PLD would love to step into NYR 2nd line center between his boy Panarin on the left and Lafreniere on the right

It's publically known Trouba was either going to NY or playing out the year and going to NY as a UFA, so other teams were out since they weren't gonna pay more than rental value. And jets fans seem to prefer Pionk to him (factoring in contracts), sour grapes or not.

Imo Trouba ended up a terrible acquisition since not only did they give up assets for a guy who was gonna go there anyway a year later, they bought out Shattenkirk when they could have just thrown him to the wolves like they did with Trouba, gave him an insane contract and now have a logjam on RD with basically no room for Deangelo. Dilutes the hell out of the great Panarin and Fox (who would've also forced his way to New York so that was 2 picks also gifted) acquisitions

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Dubois for Kaako, Kravtsov and a 1st. Huge price but Rangers would be tough to beat.

kreider Zibanejad Buch
Lafreniere Dubois Panarin
Chytil Strome Gauthier
Lemieux Howden PDG

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dubois for Kaako, Kravtsov and a 1st. Huge price but Rangers would be tough to beat.

kreider Zibanejad Buch
Lafreniere Dubois Panarin
Chytil Strome Gauthier
Lemieux Howden PDG

Yeah that's not that appealing to the Jackets. Bunch of middling crap. I think there's pretty much zero chance they'd send him to the Rangers. The Rangers would have to clearly have the best offer and that is far from happening here.

Reactions: Viqsi

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Rangers have been gifted a plethora of high picks and a bunch of coveted players who would only sign with them, as well as executing trades early on that lopsidedly went their way. All to

Buy out Shattenkirk and carry his enormous dead cap hit so they could pay Trouba (who only wanted to sign there) way more than he's worth.

Trade a couple spare parts for 7OA and DeAngelo both of which now look like they're on the way out

Buy out Lundqvist when he could have been put on IR following a proper physical

Resign Kreider instead of trading him so they have a 6.5 million dollar 3rd line LW on the wrong side of 30

I'm sure I'm missing a few gems

What the Rangers could have got with how lucky they were between Panarin, Fox, their early picks, and what they're actually getting (overloaded unbalanced team carrying tons of dead cap space for no reason) is underwhelming as hell. They'll still be a good team but they were in a position to be the new Chicago, instead they look like they'll be on par with the other rebuilding tri state teams/Toronto. Not so different with the Oilers striking gold with McDavid and Drasaitl and immediately completely handicapping their advantage

You sound envious. The Rangers have been in a rebuild for 3 years and have totally changed the core of the team and have a top 3 prospect pool in the league with a very bright future. They will continue to add depth and balance to a roster that already has a good deal of top end talent. They lose 11 million in dead cap space after this year. It's all about next year and beyond with this team. Talk to me in 2 years.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
You got me, extremely bitter my team doesn't have 17+ million in buyouts and 3rd líne wingers making 6.5 mil for the better part of the decade.

I guess compared to how Rangers were run that's still a huge jump in resource utilization

Last time I looked Kreider was playing on the 1st line and playing well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah that's not that appealing to the Jackets. Bunch of middling crap. I think there's pretty much zero chance they'd send him to the Rangers. The Rangers would have to clearly have the best offer and that is far from happening here.
Kakko is middling crap?
CBJ fans would be very disappointed when PLD does get traded

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Absolutely nothing suggests Suzuki has a higher ceiling.

Draft season:
PLD: #3 overall pick, 99pts in 62 games as a physical, big, two way C
Suzuki: #13 overall pick, 97 in 65 as an undersized scoring C

18 year old season:
PLD: makes team Canada, plays a major role in gold medal winning team
Suzuki: does not sniff team Canada

19 year old season:
PLD: Top 6 NHL player scoring 48pts
Suzuki: does not sniff NHL, is traded from NHL team

20 year season:
PLD: 61pts in NHL
Suzuki: 44pts in NHL