OT: All Purpose Pick Up Hockey Thread

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Superior Ice Rink - Kings Park, Long Island - ( western Suffolk County ).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Anyone remember former NY Ranger Jim Pavese? He used to play at Superior and I think he moved back to Kings Park after he retired from the NHL.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Anyone remember former NY Ranger Jim Pavese? He used to play at Superior and I think he moved back to Kings Park after he retired from the NHL.

i'm only 35 years old.......but apparently the Saturday night superior pick up games have been a tradition for like 30 years. Over that time, I've been told many a retired ( and some active ) NHL'ers have been there skating.......

When you see some of these guys in action..........the friends you have or that guy in the mens league that you thought were great players, look like chumps. Its mind blowing.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
i'm only 35 years old.......but apparently the Saturday night superior pick up games have been a tradition for like 30 years. Over that time, I've been told many a retired ( and some active ) NHL'ers have been there skating.......

When you see some of these guys in action..........the friends you have or that guy in the mens league that you thought were great players, look like chumps. Its mind blowing.

Probably more than 30 years. I know because I played at Superior in the early 1980's and Jim had already moved on to the pro's.

I played with and against the Ferraro brothers there as well. Some of the best memories of my life were Friday night skates (8-10PM) followed by my JV and Varsity high school games.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
yea, we play every Saturday night. Was just gonna bump this today. Last few weeks have been very good turn outs. 8-10 guys per side.....and we always have 2 goalies.

strongisland

Oct 3, 2009
So why would the woman working the rink say no hah. When does it start bud? Might have a few friends and maybe a goalie. Most of us haven't played on ice in a loooonng time.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
So why would the woman working the rink say no hah. When does it start bud? Might have a few friends and maybe a goalie. Most of us haven't played on ice in a loooonng time.

no idea why they would say that. Maybe she has no clue what happens at 11pm at night lol.

I've been playing there almost every saturday night for the last 2 years. If you read the thread, some guys have chimed in and said that the guys who run it have been doing it for the last 20+ years......every saturday night..,....its kind of a tradition. The guy who runs it plays on my mens leauge team, so i can assure you this isnt a myth lol

we take the ice at 1130, usually drop the puck around 1145 and play till about 130am......if people last that long. id say be there at 11pm to get ready. cost is $20 and goalies are free

strongisland

Oct 3, 2009
Sweet sorry bout the pm then posts on here. Didn't see you answered my pm by the time I made the post. Thanks for being helpful bud. See you tonight.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
its held every Saturday.......I really don't know how many people will show up each week. I for one wont be there. Some weeks are great, some are not. But in the 3 years I've been going, I can only think of a couple times where we didn't have enough to at least play 4 on 4.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
don't live near there otherwise i would.

For people closer to Jersey/White plains, we do a Clinic on Tuesday Nights that includes 1.5 hour scrimmage. $20 a head.

I've also heard of another rink in Montclair for those who live near the Lincoln Tunnel. Saturday nights at 10PM. $20 a head as well, though I've never been to this one

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Bump.....come play some ice hockey. We Always have two goalies. You don't have to be great, just come play.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Every Saturday night.....ice is free at 11:15, usually drop puck to play around 1130 or so. Turnouts vary. Sometimes we play 4 on 4 with a couple bench guys. Usually 5 on 5 with a player or two on the bench. Skill is usually ok. Couple not so good, most can skate and play to make it fun. We always have 2-3 goalies.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
saturday bump. After the rangers lose tonight ( i am a ranger fan, just making a joke :) ), come play some hockey. Turn outs have been good the last two weeks. 5 on 5 with 2 bench players and always 2 goalies.

rholt168

Hen-rik!
Mar 30, 2009
Superior is literally a 5 min walk from my house. Might head down one of these nights. I'll make sure I call ahead so I'm not one of 10 goalies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Superior is literally a 5 min walk from my house. Might head down one of these nights. I'll make sure I call ahead so I'm not one of 10 goalies.

I'm a goalie too. Their goalie slots are always filled days in advance. I imagine they're friends of whoever is running it. Pretty annoying, most places with open hockey the goalie slots are always filled. Makes it tough to find a spot to play.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Is this still going on? I'm playing in a weekend league and the weekend of the 9th we have no game and I can't play the following weekend. I'd hate to go two weeks without skating. If there is a pickup game that night, I'd partake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad