OT: All Purpose Pick Up Hockey Thread

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to spread the word about our saturday night adult ice hockey games that go on at Superior Ice Rink in Kings Park. Its every Saturday night from about 11:30pm - 2:00am.......and its $20 per person. The attendance has been getting very low for the last few weeks, so I asked the guy who organizes it if he would mind if I spread the word. For the record, I dont make any money off this. I just wanted to spread the word to help get a better turn out so we can have some fun nights of playing ice hockey. Heres a run down.....

- Every Saturday night, Superior Ice Rink in Kings Park ( 11:30 pm - 2:00 am )
- Come down around 11:15pm, suit up, 15-20 minutes of warm up on a fresh sheet of ice and then we play until about 2:00 am
- Ages 16 and up
- Full equiptment required - chest, shin, elbow, helmet ( cage recommended ), gloves and ice hockey shorts.
- No contact ( a little bump here or there going for the puck, but no hits ).
- No bomb slap shots.......not trying to kill the goalies
- Skill levels can vary ( we have had guys who are real good, guys that are not so good and everything in between.).........at the very least, you should know how to skate on ice. You dont need to be awesome, just be able to skate.
- Come with a good attitude and looking to have fun. Its a good time with good people. I've been doing it for about a year now and we have rearely had a problem with bad players coming down.

If you are a goalie, please PM me. I will give you the phone number of the guy who runs it ( Ralph ). Usually they try to have 3 goalies max, so that the amount of playing time is good for each goalie. Its best to call Ralph and ask if he has enough goailes before coming down. There have been nights where we had 4+ goalies and we had to turn some away. Right now we have 2 pretty consistent goalies.

Any other questions, let me know.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to spread the word about our saturday night adult ice hockey games that go on at Superior Ice Rink in Kings Park. Its every Saturday night from about 11:30pm - 2:00am.......and its $20 per person. The attendance has been getting very low for the last few weeks, so I asked the guy who organizes it if he would mind if I spread the word. For the record, I dont make any money off this. I just wanted to spread the word to help get a better turn out so we can have some fun nights of playing ice hockey. Heres a run down.....

- Ages 16 and up
- Full equiptment required - chest, shin, elbow, helmet ( cage recommended ), gloves and ice hockey shorts.
- Skill levels can vary ( we have had guys who are real good, guys that are not so good and everything in between.).........at the very least, you should know how to skate on ice. You dont need to be awesome, just be able to skate.
- Come with a good attitude and looking to have fun. Its a good time with good people. I've been doing it for about a year now and we have rearely had a problem with bad players coming down.

If you are a goalie, please PM me. I will give you the phone number of the guy who runs it ( Ralph ). Usually they try to have 3 goalies max, so that the amount of playing time is good for each goalie. Its best to call Ralph and ask if he has enough goailes before coming down. There have been nights where we had 4+ goalies and we had to turn some away. Right now we have 2 pretty consistent goalies.

Just a heads up this is a great pickup game usually too. I used to go down when I was in college and always had a good time, one of my friends still goes down.

Hey OP is Mr. Buckles still skating/running it? It was a blast skating with him.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I'm trying to move from roller over to ice, maybe I'll stop by one Saturday night. I played in a beginners league at the Rinx last winter, so I have very little experience on the ice.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Just a heads up this is a great pickup game usually too. I used to go down when I was in college and always had a good time, one of my friends still goes down.

Hey OP is Mr. Buckles still skating/running it? It was a blast skating with him.

not 100% sure who mr. buckles is. I see the spiked red haired guy there all the time......but not sure his name.

Either way, you are right, its a good game almost every night. Attendance is just getting really low now. Last week we played 4 on 4 with two goalies and only had one guy to change with on each bench. Great work out, but man you get tired quick, lol

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
I'm trying to move from roller over to ice, maybe I'll stop by one Saturday night. I played in a beginners league at the Rinx last winter, so I have very little experience on the ice.

i did the same. Played roller for the last 10 years and my goalie started palying ice. Convinced me to give it a try and now I wont go back to roller if you paid me. So long as you can skate with some control, you will be fine. You dont have to be good, just not falling all over the place, lol

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Over the summer it was great. We would average 15-20 skaters, plus a couple goalies. The last few weeks its only been about 10 or so, plus the two goalies. We would like to get back to 20-24 skaters. I perosnally wont be there this saturday, but anyone is welcome so long as you have a good attitude and want to come and have some fun.

spread the word.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
i did the same. Played roller for the last 10 years and my goalie started palying ice. Convinced me to give it a try and now I wont go back to roller if you paid me. So long as you can skate with some control, you will be fine. You dont have to be good, just not falling all over the place, lol

All my friends who went to ice from roller said the same thing.

I can skate decently and I can handle the puck, so I'm not terrible.

jhnyr

Feb 6, 2007
Hey Guys,

- Come down around 11:15pm, suit up, 15-20 minutes of warm up on a fresh sheet of ice and then we play until about 2:00 am
- Ages 16 and up

I may show up to this, as I'm always looking for more pick up hockey!!!

And actually, believe it or not, I was going to post something similar --- I'm part of a group of guys that plays pickup on Friday nights in Mount Vernon (Bronx/Westchester border, for those who aren't familiar). And OUR attendance has been getting low too.

Almost exactly like what noupf posted. Except, we have beer. ;)
Times are nearly the same too. Our early nights start around 11. Late nights start around 11:45. And we go to about 2 or 2:30am. $20. Everyone's welcome except for the showoffs. lol PM me if you want any more info.

jhnyr

Feb 6, 2007
not 100% sure who mr. buckles is. I see the spiked red haired guy there all the time......but not sure his name.

Either way, you are right, its a good game almost every night. Attendance is just getting really low now. Last week we played 4 on 4 with two goalies and only had one guy to change with on each bench. Great work out, but man you get tired quick, lol

This is what happened last Friday at my weekly pickup game. You get tired as hell. But the good thing is that even someone kinda useless like me gets enough touches of the puck to get a goal or an assist!

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Friday bump..............Come on down saturday night. I've heard back from a few people and some goalies. With the regulars that come down ( about 7-8 guys ), plus those I have heard from, it should be a good game. can always use more though.....

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
bringing this back to life.............

last two weeks had ok turn outs, but could use a couple more.

Rink is ours at 1130pm tonight.

Come down and play.

All skill levels welcome.......seriously, you dont have to be great to play.

mhurley

Jun 11, 2005
Long Island
Superior...best ice on the Island...so good that some locked out Islander players have been renting ice time in the afternoons rather then going to IceWorks.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
The turn out is anywhere from 10 -20 guys and we have never had a goalie issue. Lately the skater turn out has been weak, thats why i try to bump this post to get some new skaters to come down and play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad