All-Purpose News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
AEW is turning into the Holmgren led Flyers.
bvj2xda.jpg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tell me Kevin Steen is showing up in AEW in the spring, without telling me Kevin Steen is showing up in AEW in the spring.

Just like Punk was never truly confirmed. Same with Cole, Danielson, Soho, Miro

We always kinda know it's coming, but there's always just a tiny sliver of doubt.

those numbers he posted are the latitude/longitude for Mount Rushmore for those who don’t know

AEW is almost like if ROH and PWG had a baby

Reactions: Fro

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Never said bad signing, just signing everyone. Things are just becoming way too saturated.

How so?

They are adding main-event talent to a roster that did not really have a lot of main-event talent.

The people they signed are people they HAD to sign when they became available.

Of course, they cannot and should not sign everyone. I would very disappointed if a bum like Braun Strowman showed up on Dynamite.

But Cole, Danielson, Punk and Soho? They needed them. Owens and Zayn? If they become available, you sign them.

Plenty of bums you can cut (the Janelas and Sunny Kisses of the world, guys who will never be more than jobbers). Having TOO much talent is not a problem if you know how to book it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve said it before - I do think it’s getting too be too much. On the other hand, of the guys they signed, who should not have been? Not including Paul Wight because he’s not going to wrestle full time.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think the question of AEW having too many guys should take into consideration the air time they have and the house shows probably building more from here. Dark and Dark Elevation are still on YouTube and I personally still look forward to them. I actually was watching them before I was Dynamite based on not having cable. Also, you never know if Rampage will be taken to two hours. A lot of the talent that maybe isn't top of the card talent or that wasn't as established prior to AEW, like say The Dark Order or The Acclaimed, are good backup bench to have in case guys get injured, retire or even get stale. Too much good talent is a good problem to have if you know how to manage it.

Reactions: Fro

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
How so?

They are adding main-event talent to a roster that did not really have a lot of main-event talent.

The people they signed are people they HAD to sign when they became available.

Of course, they cannot and should not sign everyone. I would very disappointed if a bum like Braun Strowman showed up on Dynamite.

But Cole, Danielson, Punk and Soho? They needed them. Owens and Zayn? If they become available, you sign them.

Plenty of bums you can cut (the Janelas and Sunny Kisses of the world, guys who will never be more than jobbers). Having TOO much talent is not a problem if you know how to book it.
They have 3 hours of TV time. How do you fit everyone into storylines without doing 6/8/10 man tags every week?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the question of AEW having too many guys should take into consideration the air time they have and the house shows probably building more from here. Dark and Dark Elevation are still on YouTube and I personally still look forward to them. I actually was watching them before I was Dynamite based on not having cable. Also, you never know if Rampage will be taken to two hours. A lot of the talent that maybe isn't top of the card talent or that wasn't as established prior to AEW, like say The Dark Order or The Acclaimed, are good backup bench to have in case guys get injured, retire or even get stale. Too much good talent is a good problem to have if you know how to manage it.
I don’t know that they’re going to do house shows, at least not in the traditional sense. Most people are free to work indies so long as dates don’t conflict, and they’re working with almost any promotion worth a shit. If you figure that most talent are on-site Wednesdays and Fridays, and let’s say they work indies Saturday/Sunday, you don’t really need house shows.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
You can have people in and out, given them time off. Do not only feature the same guys every week.

Best way to keep things fresh.

It could become a locker room problem, but I do not think it is a "product" problem.
Time will tell. WCW showed that you can't stack your show with A-listers, cause everyone wants screen time. Tony being the WCW nerd he is, I can totally see him falling into that trap.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I know AEW is signing a lot of ex-WWE guys but most of them, they had to sign. How do you pass on Punk, Bryan, Miro, Adam Cole, Jericho, and Moxley?

Shawn Spears and Jack Swagger are the only ex WWE guys I could think that wasn't worth signing.

This isn't like TNA signing Scott Steiner, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, Val Venis and Test.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I’ve said it before - I do think it’s getting too be too much. On the other hand, of the guys they signed, who should not have been? Not including Paul Wight because he’s not going to wrestle full time.

Only ones who comes to mind to me are EverRise.

But I agree with those who say we don't need someone like Strowman showing up. That's when things start becoming oversaturated.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don’t know that they’re going to do house shows, at least not in the traditional sense. Most people are free to work indies so long as dates don’t conflict, and they’re working with almost any promotion worth a shit. If you figure that most talent are on-site Wednesdays and Fridays, and let’s say they work indies Saturday/Sunday, you don’t really need house shows.
Tony Kahn apparently told CM Punk that they are touring and "doing it right" in a traditional sense. If that's the case, then more bodies to tour is one way to keep guys from being overworked from too much touring like WWE has seen in the past, and a way to protect against COVID outbreaks in the roster as well.

My only concern with roster size is getting enough screen time for young guys who are on the verge of becoming really, really big - guys like Darby Allin, Jungle Boy, Ricky Ortiz, and even MJF to an extent. Before they put the strap on Kenny, there was some serious buzz about whether MJF should have been taking the belt from Moxley, whose reign had gotten a bit stale. Now, with Bryan, Punk, and Adam Cole all added to the mix, it might be harder for a guy like MJF to move up to that next level.

On the other hand, MJF going over another established star like he has with Jericho could really catapult him into the main event picture.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Only ones who comes to mind to me are EverRise.

But I agree with those who say we don't need someone like Strowman showing up. That's when things start becoming oversaturated.
I don’t know what’s wrong with 2point0, they would’ve been on that level when AEW launched. They feuded with the Super Smash Bros. (now-Dark Order) for eons. The only reason people are meh towards them is because as opposed to being misused in WWE, they just weren’t used at all.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I don’t know what’s wrong with 2point0, they would’ve been on that level when AEW launched. They feuded with the Super Smash Bros. (now-Dark Order) for eons. The only reason people are meh towards them is because as opposed to being misused in WWE, they just weren’t used at all.

I'm on the meh ones. They just look so plain and bland. Maybe my opinion will change.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Having the 2 YT shows helps as well, can always flip the switch and put meaningful matches on there vs developmental matches...

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
HHH is having some health issues.

from today's pwinsider.com:

WWE just announced that Paul "Triple H" Levesque is recovering from a cardiac event suffered last week. He is currently hospitalized but is expected to make a full recovery.

WWE's statement reads as follows:

PAUL “TRIPLE H” LEVESQUE HEALTH UPDATE

STAMFORD, Conn., September 8, 2021 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) issued the following statement today regarding Paul “Triple H” Levesque, WWE Executive Vice President, Global Talent Strategy & Development:

“Paul Levesque, a.k.a. Triple H, underwent a successful procedure last week at Yale New Haven Hospital following a cardiac event.

The episode was caused by a genetic heart issue and Paul is expected to make a full recovery.”

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
damn cm punk showing up at AEW almost killed the poor guy. I hope he recovers fully and the heart isn’t a concern going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad