All-Purpose News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At those times they weren’t supposed to be developmental in that sense, they were competing with ROH, then New Japan and indies, and then especially AEW.

now they can try to convince themselves that none of that ever happened. If you look at the NXT guys that were over to Vince, they’ve almost all exclusively been homegrown recruits with little (if any) indy experience. In that sense, it’s still always been what it’s been as a system and not as a TV product. Strowman and Mandy Rose were kept off NXT TV for those reasons.

I don't really buy that when it came to Vince NXT was supposed to be anything other than his developmental, at the very least until the last two years. He screwed NXT around too many times for it to look like he viewed it as its own worthwhile entity and he clearly had little to no respect for whatever gimmick work NXT wrestlers had put in. That isn't to say that NXT would have been better with more Vince, because obviously it would have been a clusterf***.

I can see why he would want to change things now from his perspective, even if it's only going to make things worse. It was a development territory that barely produced anyone. It functioned as a sort of second company staffed with indy wrestlers, and then it got outcompeted by another company staffed with indy wrestlers. It would probably have been ideal for Vince to leave NXT alone but as long as the wrestlers were for the most part destined for main roster slaughter it was going to remain an awkward fit. I'm not a fan of OVW or who it produced but at least, from a Vince perspective, it sent up the guys that Vince wanted sometimes and some of them went on to success with Vince.

Reactions: Kaner9

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I can understand them wanting to make these big NXT changes. I don't know what draws money but I think it's gotten a little too "indy" in the last few years. I liked NXT in 2015-2016, where yeah, there were a lot of small indy guys but there were a lot of guys you could see making it big on the main roster (although most of them didn't but that's on booking) like KO, Joe, Balor, Nakamura, Enzo, Cass etc. I don't see much in the current NXT roster.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I can understand them wanting to make these big NXT changes. I don't know what draws money but I think it's gotten a little too "indy" in the last few years. I liked NXT in 2015-2016, where yeah, there were a lot of small indy guys but there were a lot of guys you could see making it big on the main roster (although most of them didn't but that's on booking) like KO, Joe, Balor, Nakamura, Enzo, Cass etc. I don't see much in the current NXT roster.

People who I think would be either immediate or future stars:

Women: Io Shirai, Raquel Gonzalez, Candice Le Rae, Zoey Stark, Dakota Kai, Indi Hartwell. (Not mentioning Ember Moon since she's already been on the main roster)

Men: Johnny Gargano, Tomasso Ciampa, Pete Dunne, Kushida, Austin Theory, Ilja Dragunov

Factions/tag teams: IMPERIUM, Hit Row

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
People who I think would be either immediate or future stars:

Women: Io Shirai, Raquel Gonzalez, Candice Le Rae, Zoey Stark, Dakota Kai, Indi Hartwell. (Not mentioning Ember Moon since she's already been on the main roster)

Men: Johnny Gargano, Tomasso Ciampa, Pete Dunne, Kushida, Austin Theory, Ilja Dragunov

Factions/tag teams: IMPERIUM, Hit Row

Most of these scream indy to me.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

The problem is that it doesn't really address the issue. They get over in NXT then everything the fans like about them get changed when the get called up. It doesn't matter who they have down there at this point. Lee, Black, Ricochet...

Just look at Lee. NXT crowed loved him and I thought there's no way he's not getting over. Then the WWE said "hold my beer" Changed his entrance, his attire, and booked him into the ground.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The problem is that it doesn't really address the issue. They get over in NXT then everything the fans like about them get changed when the get called up. It doesn't matter who they have down there at this point. Lee, Black, Ricochet...

Just look at Lee. NXT crowed loved him and I thought there's no way he's not getting over. Then the WWE said "hold my beer" Changed his entrance, his attire, and booked him into the ground.

Not their call. There's huge royalty dispute between the makers of the song and their record company or whatever. WWE had to change basically everything they created.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ

I will never know how they shit the bed with Keith Lee the man is incredible. He even has the size Vinnie loves plus the charisma. All they needed was to keep him like he was.

Nxt peaked a few years back but its worth keeping as another choice imo. Vince aint gonna play it that way though

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Not their call. There's huge royalty dispute between the makers of the song and their record company or whatever. WWE had to change basically everything they created.

Was it huge or were they being cheap? I honestly don't know. I do know CFO$ made some amazing music for them, almost as good as Jim Johnston.

I say that while recognizing I don't know the details on why that fell through. But if it was a matter of royalties maybe they should have just paid them until they had a better option.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Was it huge or were they being cheap? I honestly don't know. I do know CFO$ made some amazing music for them, almost as good as Jim Johnston.

I say that while recognizing I don't know the details on why that fell through. But if it was a matter of royalties maybe they should have just paid them until they had a better option.

There were no details about money but something about CFO$'s record company or producers or whatever getting all(?) royalties from their music and WWE didn't want to support them. They tried to get them as the "in-house band" but CFO$ also split up (there were only 2 members) and ceased to exist so yeah, it was a big mess, leading to WWE replacing the stuff they made.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't really buy that when it came to Vince NXT was supposed to be anything other than his developmental, at the very least until the last two years. He screwed NXT around too many times for it to look like he viewed it as its own worthwhile entity and he clearly had little to no respect for whatever gimmick work NXT wrestlers had put in. That isn't to say that NXT would have been better with more Vince, because obviously it would have been a clusterf***.

I can see why he would want to change things now from his perspective, even if it's only going to make things worse. It was a development territory that barely produced anyone. It functioned as a sort of second company staffed with indy wrestlers, and then it got outcompeted by another company staffed with indy wrestlers. It would probably have been ideal for Vince to leave NXT alone but as long as the wrestlers were for the most part destined for main roster slaughter it was going to remain an awkward fit. I'm not a fan of OVW or who it produced but at least, from a Vince perspective, it sent up the guys that Vince wanted sometimes and some of them went on to success with Vince.
NXT was definitely supposed to be a third brand to be seen on the same level as Raw and Smackdown during the birth of AEW. They put NXT over huge at that Survivor Series (for whatever that was supposed to be worth), and they sent Charlotte back there to be like a huge star that would pull their ratings up. The execution may not have been good, but that was a clear goal to get over NXT, but at the same time still have it be it’s unique cult-like NXT. Vince may have still seen it as you say, but Hunter had full autonomy to do as he saw fit to compete and was afforded main roster talent. Now all of a sudden it has Vince’s attention after losing the war.

The system they had still did and does exist though, the TV product had just changed to suit WWE’s goals, and more specifically Hunter. There was talk of making EVOLVE that type of brand after they were bought. That said, NXT was a money loser before they brought in the indy talent, and they are in an aggressive cost-cutting mode right now.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Candice LeRae is pregnant

Vince McMahon: Let's do an angle where Dexter Lumis is the father.

73931aebd5e0a2df1a4755e0a96f8587

Every other WWE employee: That's gold Vince - you still got it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So apparently Keith Lee has been mostly MIA because he has an enlarged heart from his bout with covid

Reactions: SnS

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WWE is being told by the city that Summerslam needs to be over by 8-8:30 local so that there is enough time before the Pacquaio fight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Becky going heel reportedly at her request, WWE obliged. The idea is to elevate Bianca.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Becky going heel reportedly at her request, WWE obliged. The idea is to elevate Bianca.

It's what got her over in the first place wasn't it? In 2018, when she was getting mega over, if I remember right, that was during a feud where she was the heel and Charlotte was face. Let her be a heel, who cares if she's getting cheered.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's what got her over in the first place wasn't it? In 2018, when she was getting mega over, if I remember right, that was during a feud where she was the heel and Charlotte was face. Let her be a heel, who cares if she's getting cheered.

It was kind of the Daniel Bryan revolt thing, except WWE finally woke up and went with it. She had turned at that Summerslam, but the light didn't turn on in Stamford until she missed Survivor Series.

I was in that crowd and it was pretty awesome

Reactions: Megahab

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It was once believed that Adam Cole was working out of contract but his contract actually expires this Friday.

Reactions: SnS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad