Rumor: ALL PURPOSE JT MILLER THREAD PT2 - It's Been 84 Years....

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020

Too much smoke not to have had talks with teams. I'm 90% sure what he's saying is "other teams have told us players who are off limits, and given us ideas of assets that might be available, but no, no team has actually said "here's the offer asset x,y,z" we just have frameworks of potential deals"

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It’s so weird to see Canucks fans lamenting signing Miller to a long term deal. Saying how disastrous it will be. Then coming out and asking for Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st for an extended Miller.

The guy we refused to give that contract to? Let along paying 3 high value assets for the privilege of doing so?

The real value of Miller, as has always been the case, is as a deadline rental to a contender. He could be a 100 point 1C who plays playoff style hockey available for under $3m. That is simply one of the most valuable rental players to hit the market in years.

Miller, at the deadline, fetches us at minimum a 1st and a top prospect from a contender. The big problem here is, if the Canucks are in a playoff spot come deadline, can they trade Miller?

Would a GM ever do that to his locker room? Have them work so hard to get into the playoff hunt, then trade their leader away at the deadline. Such a slap in their faces for all the hard work to get to that spot.

See, I think you can’t. I don’t think there’s any way for a GM to make that trade. So if Miller starts the season with the Canucks, he’s probably finishing the season with the Canucks.

Which leaves a deal for now. If we are trading Miller now, it’s likely to a bubble team looking to get over that playoff hurdle. It’s a rental, but not to win a cup. To just make the playoffs.

Which, severely limits Millers value. That’s a small list of teams, who are generally still in the building process and not too keen on giving up good young players.

Maybe picks? Maybe that’s a best case scenario for a Miller trade right now? A straight pick package? 1st and two 2nds? Something like that? A best case scenario for the Canucks?
When have Canucks fans asked for kakko, schneider, 1st? Keep making up nonsense.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

greenshirt-laughing-man.gif

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
At this point it does feel like JR is trying to tamper JT Miller’s expectations of a trade more than he is trying to trade him.

If Vancouver does indeed want to re-sign him at a “reasonable” figure it certainly doesn’t hurt them to communicate that no one else is prepared to commit to what the impression is of his desired contract.

It also doesn’t hurt the Canucks attempt to re-sign him at a reasonable figure if other teams load up their rosters in UFA tomorrow with Gaudreau, Kadri, Trocheck, etc. His perceived UFA options at NYR, PIT, PHI, NJ, NYI etc could very well find themselves capped out for 2023-24 by the end of the week.

And as others in this thread have said—even if JT Miller is still not extended by training camp—he is putting himself in a risky position. He could be injured. He could be cranky JT MIller circa 2020 and have a down season. Either way he risks getting the same payday next off-season that he could get this off-season.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that while the Canucks have definitely walked a risky path up to now—JT MIller is right there along side them.

Reactions: Siludin

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Gotta wonder if Calgary is going to look to acquire JT after losing Gaudreau

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Canucks are going to get a good return if they do in fact trade Miller. There is not much available via free agency and as soon as the few players who are get scooped up those teams missing out will start looking at the trade market.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Feel like we need to revisit this thread in a few days… once some teams don’t get their free agent targets. If miller was a UFA this summer he’d be #2 on the list (behind Johnny hockey). So those teams determined not to trade for him should keep in mind that you can also re-sign him and take a top guy off the board next season (and have him for a reduced rate of $2.65-5.25M this upcoming season)!

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
retain 50% at TDL only in my opinion. Team would have to offer up a package you can NOT refuse to retain 50% right now also, in my opinion.

JT has a 5.25m cap hit, not 8-9-10m cap hit....

Why? he just had a 99pt season, and has been over PPG in the 3 years with Vancouver...seems to be showing consistancy, this is NOT Kadri folks who had a great season when he was a pending UFA

Don't worry your Devils are gonna try hard to get Gaudreau the home town kid

You don't have to sell me on JT Miller. He's been the best Canuck forward for a couple years now. He's a terrific player.

But his peak value should have been last year's trade deadline. Next milestone would have been draft day. The longer he goes into his final year the less his value becomes even if he sustains the same pace as last year. If his play declines who knows what he'll return then.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
But his peak value should have been last year's trade deadline. Next milestone would have been draft day.

This isn't true. Miller's value is determined by the market of teams interested in him. It's likely there's a heavier market for him now.
The philosophy that 'the longer his contract the more valuable he is' isn't wrong, it just doesn't consider any variables that effect the player's value through the market.

There are smarter people than you and I in these rooms that understand this that will try to trade him at the best time - so hearing people parrot over and over that Vancouver has blown their timing are ignorant.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
wait till all teams sign the remaining top ufas, and some will resort to miller as plan B if they miss out on kadri,strome,johnny gaudreau.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
It's free agency day time to see where these dominos fall...

Kadri, Copp, Strome, Trocheck, Giroux (more of a winger now or no?)

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009
FINALLY! let all of the Miller to NYR die. it was never happening. The Vancouver media today even said that Miller wasn't getting the interest they thought he would in terms of value. I'm sure the Canucks will still talk about Miller to NYR even after this. It's literally like they refuse to focus on any other team. Miller time??? More like, it's NOT Miller time.

Paper Bag

May 22, 2021
FINALLY! let all of the Miller to NYR die. it was never happening. The Vancouver media today even said that Miller wasn't getting the interest they thought he would in terms of value. I'm sure the Canucks will still talk about Miller to NYR even after this. It's literally like they refuse to focus on any other team. Miller time??? More like, it's NOT Miller time.
No one is forcing you to read it. If you don't like a thread stop clicking on it.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Relax... I never understood the rumours either, JT makes any team acquiring him better and more of a threat in the playoffs. He can be traded to any team, we will see if he does get dealt, sounds like Canucks aren't in his ballpark for an extension so time to play the jeopardy music on repeat until something happens...or doesn't

Aug 3, 2021
Let it all out, my guy. This is a safe place.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Holy get this guy a sitcom deal, comedy off the charts

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins strolling back up saying "You wanna discuss Marino + Kapanen again?"

Done deal. Bank on it. Screen cap this. #allthecliches

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad