Rumor: ALL PURPOSE JT MILLER THREAD PT2 - It's Been 84 Years....

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
4-5 teams being interested is a lot. Not sure what the problem is with that. That’s the normal interest any time a good player is available for trade.

Nobody is saying its not a lot, i think the Canucks just expected more like 10-15 team.... but lots can change as early as today, once teams know they are out of the running with certain free agents... Add that along with Canucks possibly budging by retaining Miller and that 4-5 interested teams can turn to 10-15 quickly

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Unless he starts the season and sets the world on fire I just don't see his value increasing. The longer this goes on the less value he has. I suspect his actual value was less than anticipated to begin since nothing has happened yet.

Prepare for further disappointment.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
4-5 teams being interested is a lot. Not sure what the problem is with that. That’s the normal interest any time a good player is available for trade.
Yeah, if anything that tidbit is more exciting for me as a Canucks fan than anything. I think I was being lead to believe that the Rangers had significant interest, and that other teams were calling in to see what the price was/trying to lowball.

If anything 4-5 teams with significant interest is enough for me to feel that a trade will happen, and these 4-5 mystery teams are going to see what the market is for Kadri and then whoever is left holding the bag will push the deal.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Just need 2 for an auction!

It also helps that the reported interested teams are mostly all from Metro Division.

Do you really want your rival to add a 99 point player in his prime simply because you cheaped out on an extra asset with your offer?

That should basically be the selling speech by Allvin to NYR, NYI, NJD, Philly, Car. Wash, Pitt, CBJ
YES, because my devils aren't a contender today with or without miller and if one of my competitors overpays for him in assets and/or contract extension it just helps my team.

Reactions: bukwas

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
YES, because my devils aren't a contender today with or without miller and if one of my competitors overpays for him in assets and/or contract extension it just helps my team.

well, the question would be posed to real GMs with livelyhoods and careers on the line and not message board fanatics like you and i who can afford to think that a 10 yr rebuild is okay because prospects and drafting is sexy.

p.s. my 2cents is that Devils would be playoff contenders with JT Miller, then add all the young prospects and in a couple years, with Miller at 31, they can be legit serious contenders..

but it wont happen in a blink of an eye, you gotta expose guys like Hughes, Hischier, bratt etc to some playoff games and growing pains first, you dont want them to constantly grow in a losing culture .

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Not sure of its trade tactics but in a interview with Rutherford, he says Canucks are still working on trying to explore all options including extending Miller to a new contract.

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Amateur hour by this management if they don’t retain 50%
retain 50% at TDL only in my opinion. Team would have to offer up a package you can NOT refuse to retain 50% right now also, in my opinion.

JT has a 5.25m cap hit, not 8-9-10m cap hit....

Unless he starts the season and sets the world on fire I just don't see his value increasing. The longer this goes on the less value he has. I suspect his actual value was less than anticipated to begin since nothing has happened yet.

Prepare for further disappointment.
Why? he just had a 99pt season, and has been over PPG in the 3 years with Vancouver...seems to be showing consistancy, this is NOT Kadri folks who had a great season when he was a pending UFA

Don't worry your Devils are gonna try hard to get Gaudreau the home town kid

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Not sure of its trade tactics but in a interview with Rutherford, he says Canucks are still working on trying to explore all options including extending Miller to a new contract.
Extension can NOT be one until July 13th something other teams fans do NOT seem to understand.

JT has been great in Vancouver but he has priced himself out of what Van CAN afford to give him given where they have been finishing in the standings and what younger players they will have to re sign in the coming few years.

JT is suited for a playoff team wanting to get over the hump, not a team like Vancouver who has sucked for a decade and had an idiot as a GM who put them in a bad spot with the cap and with players counting against our cap who know longer play for us cause they were bought out or had a bonus incentive contract.

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
Sorry Nuck fans

You guys have a pretty phenomenal piece that is built for playoff hockey and your management has screwed up big time

about to pass free agency and still nothing, the return isn't even close to the return he could have had with retention and two playoff runs.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
It’s so weird to see Canucks fans lamenting signing Miller to a long term deal. Saying how disastrous it will be. Then coming out and asking for Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st for an extended Miller.

The guy we refused to give that contract to? Let along paying 3 high value assets for the privilege of doing so?

The real value of Miller, as has always been the case, is as a deadline rental to a contender. He could be a 100 point 1C who plays playoff style hockey available for under $3m. That is simply one of the most valuable rental players to hit the market in years.

Miller, at the deadline, fetches us at minimum a 1st and a top prospect from a contender. The big problem here is, if the Canucks are in a playoff spot come deadline, can they trade Miller?

Would a GM ever do that to his locker room? Have them work so hard to get into the playoff hunt, then trade their leader away at the deadline. Such a slap in their faces for all the hard work to get to that spot.

See, I think you can’t. I don’t think there’s any way for a GM to make that trade. So if Miller starts the season with the Canucks, he’s probably finishing the season with the Canucks.

Which leaves a deal for now. If we are trading Miller now, it’s likely to a bubble team looking to get over that playoff hurdle. It’s a rental, but not to win a cup. To just make the playoffs.

Which, severely limits Millers value. That’s a small list of teams, who are generally still in the building process and not too keen on giving up good young players.

Maybe picks? Maybe that’s a best case scenario for a Miller trade right now? A straight pick package? 1st and two 2nds? Something like that? A best case scenario for the Canucks?
The only disaster is the cap hell Benning left us. If benning knew how to manage cap and didn't create a middling team at the ceiling, we would all(most) love to extend him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Extension can NOT be one until July 13th something other teams fans do NOT seem to understand.

JT has been great in Vancouver but he has priced himself out of what Van CAN afford to give him given where they have been finishing in the standings and what younger players they will have to re sign in the coming few years.

JT is suited for a playoff team wanting to get over the hump, not a team like Vancouver who has sucked for a decade and had an idiot as a GM who put them in a bad spot with the cap and with players counting against our cap who know longer play for us cause they were bought out or had a bonus incentive contract.

I dont understand what the 13th has to do with the report that Rutherford said they are still working on trying to extend Miller along with other options such as trade.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Sorry Nuck fans

You guys have a pretty phenomenal piece that is built for playoff hockey and your management has screwed up big time

about to pass free agency and still nothing, the return isn't even close to the return he could have had with retention and two playoff runs.

The best offer at TDL was a 1st, chytil and Lundqvist

I would 100% much rather extend Miller and have him on the team than trade him for that return.

I dont buy the idea that the Canucks arent going to get a better offer than that,

If there are GMs that have supposed interest on Kadri for 8mil AAV at 32 years old, then there will be significant interest for JT Miller at 29 yrs old at max 5.2 mil AAV.

Allvin just gotta keep holding and not give in.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Schnieder is ready for a bigger role and Adam Fox is the number one RH D for the Rangers, does trade around Miller for Trouba make sense?

Trouba won't wait to leave NY. Not because Vancouver isn't an amazing city, but because his lady is a hot shot fancy doctor in NYC.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Irf has taken a beating in the market, lost lots of credibility last week when he said " nyi van trade was done deal"

He is the type that is more worried about being first to report than actually getting what is being reported right.

Though i do believe that the market is slow right now for Miller and Canucks are waiting to pounce on a team that misses out on players in Free Agency.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Of course his value is going to go down right before free agency opens.

There's a timing aspect to these trades. They missed the boat at the draft. Now it's TDL to maximize value.

GMs are planning their FA contracts. Tough to do that when factoring in what a Miller trade might do to your roster and how you can fix that.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
whatever teams are interested, Vancouver should sit down and evaluate which team sucks the most out of that grouping.

then ask for their 2023 unprotected and hope for the best, maybe an injury bug or huge regression.

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009
So far the Canucks have handled the Miller situation poorly. They've thought throughout this entire process that they'd get more than what the market is actually offering for Miller.

Maybe they really should just resign him. If not, Canucks management will be doing a lot of praying this upcoming season and hoping that Miller's play doesn't decline. If he has any issues with health or regression then the value he'll have at the next TDL will be even less than what the Canucks have already overestimated. And Canucks fans still think he's returning great stuff. 👍 lol.

Where's that poster who said the Canucks have 25+ offers for Miller?

Ouch. But I'm sure the delusion will continue.

Reactions: JimmyG89

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Extending him would be an awful idea. He's gonna be 30 and won't want less than the full 8 years. His last discount year is useless for the canucks, should trade that to an all in team for the most you can get.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Of course his value is going to go down right before free agency opens.

There's a timing aspect to these trades. They missed the boat at the draft. Now it's TDL to maximize value.

GMs are planning their FA contracts. Tough to do that when factoring in what a Miller trade might do to your roster and how you can fix that.
Actually, after the first few hours it goes back up. Once Kadri and Malkin are gone, teams that missed out will look at Miller again, possibly before they look at lesser FA's. Realistically I'd say Miller is a better piece than Kadri due to consistency of production, and on par with Malkin due to health.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Please someone make it stop we've had enough

sad-crying.gif

• Haha
Reactions: drax0s

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If the Canucks are in the playoffs or close they will not move him. Plenty of teams end up getting burned and losing a super star for nothing.
Jim basically just said in an interview that they will trade him basically a month before the deadline, they can’t risk having assets for him.

That being said, JT can get injured, and I think it would be a terrible terrible idea, especially if we’re near a playoff spot, doubt they trade him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad