Rumor: ALL PURPOSE JT MILLER THREAD PT2 - It's Been 84 Years....

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This thread is for ALL JT MILLER POSTS/NEW THREADS for the current time period.

PLEASE POST ALL RUMORS, VALUES, TRADES, EVERYTHING JT MILLER in this thread.

Reactions: shadow1

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
It’s so weird to see Canucks fans lamenting signing Miller to a long term deal. Saying how disastrous it will be. Then coming out and asking for Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st for an extended Miller.

The guy we refused to give that contract to? Let along paying 3 high value assets for the privilege of doing so?

The real value of Miller, as has always been the case, is as a deadline rental to a contender. He could be a 100 point 1C who plays playoff style hockey available for under $3m. That is simply one of the most valuable rental players to hit the market in years.

Miller, at the deadline, fetches us at minimum a 1st and a top prospect from a contender. The big problem here is, if the Canucks are in a playoff spot come deadline, can they trade Miller?

Would a GM ever do that to his locker room? Have them work so hard to get into the playoff hunt, then trade their leader away at the deadline. Such a slap in their faces for all the hard work to get to that spot.

See, I think you can’t. I don’t think there’s any way for a GM to make that trade. So if Miller starts the season with the Canucks, he’s probably finishing the season with the Canucks.

Which leaves a deal for now. If we are trading Miller now, it’s likely to a bubble team looking to get over that playoff hurdle. It’s a rental, but not to win a cup. To just make the playoffs.

Which, severely limits Millers value. That’s a small list of teams, who are generally still in the building process and not too keen on giving up good young players.

Maybe picks? Maybe that’s a best case scenario for a Miller trade right now? A straight pick package? 1st and two 2nds? Something like that? A best case scenario for the Canucks?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It’s so weird to see Canucks fans lamenting signing Miller to a long term deal. Saying how disastrous it will be. Then coming out and asking for Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st for an extended Miller.

The guy we refused to give that contract to? Let along paying 3 high value assets for the privilege of doing so?

The real value of Miller, as has always been the case, is as a deadline rental to a contender. He could be a 100 point 1C who plays playoff style hockey available for under $3m. That is simply one of the most valuable rental players to hit the market in years.

Miller, at the deadline, fetches us at minimum a 1st and a top prospect from a contender. The big problem here is, if the Canucks are in a playoff spot come deadline, can they trade Miller?

Would a GM ever do that to his locker room? Have them work so hard to get into the playoff hunt, then trade their leader away at the deadline. Such a slap in their faces for all the hard work to get to that spot.

See, I think you can’t. I don’t think there’s any way for a GM to make that trade. So if Miller starts the season with the Canucks, he’s probably finishing the season with the Canucks.

Which leaves a deal for now. If we are trading Miller now, it’s likely to a bubble team looking to get over that playoff hurdle. It’s a rental, but not to win a cup. To just make the playoffs.

Which, severely limits Millers value. That’s a small list of teams, who are generally still in the building process and not too keen on giving up good young players.

Maybe picks? Maybe that’s a best case scenario for a Miller trade right now? A straight pick package? 1st and two 2nds? Something like that? A best case scenario for the Canucks?
He still would be a substantial rental (for a year) @ $5.25M! Canucks could even potentially retain. Different management though. In the past we would’ve got bent over (if Benning was steering the ship). It’s allvin’s first large deal and wants to get this one right.

Either way it’s risky… wait to free agency tomorrow and the top suiters (for miller) find other UFA options or we wait until in-season and he’s injured etc… until a trade actually happens everyone will be skeptical.

Columbus is signing every Ohio native. So let’s get him as well.
What would Columbus offer?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What would Columbus offer?
At this point, it’s almost a fantasy land, as I thought the most realistic trade would’ve been two firsts plus a prospect for a verbally signed Miller; now that the picks are used, I don’t know what might interest Vancouver and what Columbus will be able to give up

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Columbus is signing every Ohio native. So let’s get him as well.
Without knowing the nuances of Ohio sports politics... I know especially with regard to College sports that intra-state rivalries can be intense. Is JT Miller from a place in Ohio that would really yearn to play for Columbus? My impression was always that his team was Pittsburgh as it was the closest.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Without knowing the nuances of Ohio sports politics... I know especially with regard to College sports that intra-state rivalries can be intense. Is JT Miller from a place in Ohio that would really yearn to play for Columbus? My impression was always that his team was Pittsburgh as it was the closest.
Nah, he played in Pittsburgh mostly, but was born in Ohio, which still should qualify as getting every Ohioan on board

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
At this point, it’s almost a fantasy land, as I thought the most realistic trade would’ve been two firsts plus a prospect for a verbally signed Miller; now that the picks are used, I don’t know what might interest Vancouver and what Columbus will be able to give up
Peeke and next year's first would get it done for me. If no conditions on the pick I'd even do Miller at 50% retention.

Reactions: Cogburn

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

If then Canucks were a playoff contending team that had their cap situation in order then I think almost all Canucks’ fans would be on board with keeping Miller. But they aren’t, and it’s no surprise that anyone who signs Miller is doing so for the benefit of the first half of the contract, the same will be for Gaudreau/Kadri and any other 30+ player signing a longterm deal. The Canucks have some work to do to deal with some inefficient contracts and likely wont be truly ready to make a push for at least 2 seasons. With that in mind, it makes more sense for their situation to move Miller now, replenish the prospect pool and then invest that $8-9M that would’ve gone to Miller now into a different player 3 years from now.

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I wouldn't be happy if all we got back for JT was Peeke.

Still think Pit will be the team, but if Kapanen is coming back Pit would have to take Poolman or Dickinson back.

I would like to see JT get dealt to Carolina, but unsure if they will be interested but I think JT could help that team come playoffs with his energy and style of play would be of interest to their head coach?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would be cool with this trade, but the pick would have to be top 10 protected. Obviously, Jarmo would need to have some sort of agreement with JT on extension. Columbus doesn’t need a one year rental
We still can't afford to give up any RHDs. And Miller still doesn't fit the timeline.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Jeff Marek just said on Halford &
Brough that he still believes the Rangers are the favourites to land Miller

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Its weird that the Rangers continue to be the team being reported on for Miller.

Maybe the Canucks and Rangers have a deal in place that just isnt being announced until after the 13th when an extension can be signed?

Why else do so many insiders feel so confident about the Rangers and Vancouver being dance partners, it hardly seems speculative anymore and more factual.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'm now starting to believe that the Islanders were never in on Miller on Draft Day and it was perhaps someone like Myers instead.

It just makes no sense that Friendman and other reporters were reporting that a deal with the Isles and Van were close, then it got nixed last second because Canucks wouldnt let Isles talk to Milller about an extension.

Isles asking to talk to Miller about an extension would litterally be the 1st step of the negotiation not the last step that holds up a deal.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I'm now starting to believe that the Islanders were never in on Miller on Draft Day and it was perhaps someone like Myers instead.

It just makes no sense that Friendman and other reporters were reporting that a deal with the Isles and Van were close, then it got nixed last second because Canucks wouldnt let Isles talk to Milller about an extension.

Isles asking to talk to Miller about an extension would litterally be the 1st step of the negotiation not the last step that holds up a deal.
Myers wouldn't net 13th overall though

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
But if it were like Myers and 15 for 13....and let's keep the hypothetical going and say Vancouver was going to eat some cap, then last possible second tried to trade the full cap hit instead?

Reactions: Canucks LB

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

It was likely not for 13th overall,

literally within like 2 minutes of reports that the isles and canucks trade is off, Bettman announced the isles and mtl trade of 13th for Romanov.

No way Lou does a 180 that fast...

not only to not trade the 13th overall for Miller, but to trade the 13th overall for a completely different position? Thats a huge change of approach and one that isnt done within seconds/minutes of a deal falling off..

The Isles and Van trade wasnt for Miller and it wasnt for 13th overall.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

It makes more sense that it was a simple pick swap 13th for 15th plus something else and the Canucks were stalling as their guys(Lekkerimaki and whoever else they had high up, Ostlund/Ohgren/Kemmel?) kept falling. Probably pissed Lou off and he said to hell with it and did the deal with Montreal without getting the extra sweetener from Vancouver.

It was likely not for 13th overall,

literally within like 2 minutes of reports that the isles and canucks trade is off, Bettman announced the isles and mtl trade of 13th for Romanov.

No way Lou does a 180 that fast...

not only to not trade the 13th overall for Miller, but to trade the 13th overall for a completely different position? Thats a huge change of approach and one that isnt done within seconds/minutes of a deal falling off..

The Isles and Van trade wasnt for Miller and it wasnt for 13th overall.
Lou very likely had a deal in place to swap 13th for 15th + something from Vancouver and was then going to flip 15th+ to Montreal for Romanov. Chicago made it known they wanted a top 15 pick in return for Dach, this could’ve easily just been a way for Lou to get something from Vancouver and still get Romanov.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Frank is reporting that there is only about 4-5 teams who are "significantly" interested in the Canucks. The Canucks thought they'd have a bigger audience but Frank did also mention that he thinks more teams will be interested teams during Free Agency once teams miss on Malkin, Gaudreau and even Kadri. He also thinks there would be a massive flood of interest if the Canucks decided to retain 50% on Miller and make him a 2.5 mil player next year.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Frank is reporting that there is only about 4-5 teams who are "significantly" interested in the Canucks. The Canucks thought they'd have a bigger audience but Frank did also mention that he thinks more teams will be interested teams during Free Agency once teams miss on Malkin, Gaudreau and even Kadri. He also thinks there would be a massive flood of interest if the Canucks decided to retain 50% on Miller and make him a 2.5 mil player next year.

that's a bit down from the 25+ last week.

Reactions: zcaptain

Love

Feb 29, 2012
4-5 teams being interested is a lot. Not sure what the problem is with that. That’s the normal interest any time a good player is available for trade.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
that's a bit down from the 25+ last week.

Just need 2 for an auction!

It also helps that the reported interested teams are mostly all from Metro Division.

Do you really want your rival to add a 99 point player in his prime simply because you cheaped out on an extra asset with your offer?

That should basically be the selling speech by Allvin to NYR, NYI, NJD, Philly, Car. Wash, Pitt, CBJ

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Whoever gets Miller, assuming they're already a playoff team, is going to jump to contender status immediately. This is the type of player you win with, much like Richards to LA and ROR to St Louis.

Idk who's even in on Miller anymore, but I can almost guarantee the price will be worth it if even only for 1 year

Edit: and before anyone hits me with the "TB won after they dumped Miller" argument, he wasn't the same player then that he is now

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3