Habs at the World Championships (May 10-May 26) | TSN, TSN.ca, NHLN, IIHF Worlds 2024 YouTube channel

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That too.

I feel like scouts are people who want to be the smartest in the room and over think things.

I think it was Reddit someone did a re-draft for Vancouver just using the player available with the most points in a CHL league and ended up drafting some real good players throughout the years.
Back when the Leafs stunk in the regular season as well as in the playoffs, when scouting was a little less developed, they compared drafting by points corrected per league versus the guys their GM drafted. The GM did not come off well. They also compared him to a potato, I think, and the potato was considered a better GM.

Corrected points is one of the more significant indications that a player will succeed. Most scouts and GMs will do their own analysis and decide if the points will translate, mainly "how big is he?" and "what skills will translate to the NHL?"

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What Kapanen did this year was awesome. But I'm really eager to be excited by him as a NHL prospect. I don't see it. Yet. Too vanilla for me.

Reactions: montreal

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What Kapanen did this year was awesome. But I'm really eager to be excited by him as a NHL prospect. I don't see it. Yet. Too vanilla for me.

Yeah, he isn't an exciting player, but that's ok. He projects as a decent sized 3rd or 4th line center. He has a good heavy shot, so he should score some goals. We need to get stronger on the bottom 2 lines. Hopefully, he helps us do that.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Yeah, he isn't an exciting player, but that's ok. He projects as a decent sized 3rd or 4th line center. He has a good heavy shot, so he should score some goals. We need to get stronger on the bottom 2 lines. Hopefully, he helps us do that.
What’s his situation? Will he join us at camp?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What’s his situation? Will he join us at camp?

He's signed a contract with an SHL team, and that's where I expect him to play this upcoming season.

Montreal hasn't signed him to a contract yet, but I think that will get done in June once the World Championships are done and Kapanen's year is finally over.

I expect him at camp in September, but I think he goes back to Sweden.

He's following the Lehkonen model to NHL. Liiga (Finland) to SHL (Sweden) to NHL.

It feels like Kapanen has been in our system forever, but he's still only 20. He turns 21 in July.

SHL plays a more offensive style over Liiga, which is why Lehkonen left Liiga. He wanted to work on his offensive game. Ditto Kapanen, probably.

Kapanen comes over summer of 2025 at 22.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's definitely more of a bottom 6 center upside wise in the NHL. I see more actual tools in him than in a Dvorak for exemple, at least. He's meat and potatoes, but like, high grade fancy meat and potatoes :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad