All Ottawa Senators Head Coach discussions

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe try hiring a coach with SIGNIFICANT NHL head coaching experience.
Bottom of the bin coaching selections have something to do with this too not just the players. When you hire the cheapest possible option over and over again these are the results you get.

This team needs new ownership then a reset. Until this team gets a new owner these issues will always be here.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Bottom of the bin coaching selections have something to do with this too not just the players. When you hire the cheapest possible option over and over again these are the results you get.

This team needs new ownership then a reset. Until this team gets a new owner these issues will always be here.

Buffalo hired a high priced guy in Bylsma and that didn’t work out so great. It’s not always about how much you spend.

Reactions: czechcanadian

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I agree, not worth discussing. I can remember a time not too long ago when people were hashtagging #thesystem and the fans in the stands would jeer the visiting team with shouts of , "system system"....you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Come on people, what employees need from any SLT is consistency and trust...if you can't get those basic things from your employer your productivity will slip.
Keep it together Sens, there was a heartbeat on the monitor last night!

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
No, Buffalo is still responsible to pay his contract above and beyond whatever we were to offer him. So if we paid him 1 mil, Buffalo would be off the hook for only that 1 mil, and top him up to 5. At least, that's my understanding of how it works.
Correct.
I don't know, he took a terribly struggling (albeit uber talented) Penguins team to glory in his first partial season. On 24/7 he comes across as a super good guy. Is the idea that he sucks based solely on his time in Buffalo?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You're right the current strategy is working they should keep doing it.

So hiring a high priced coach guarantees success?

I could be wrong, but didn’t we go to game 7 of the conference finals with Boucher in his first year? Can someone tell me if that’s good? How far did Minnesota go with Boudreau last year?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You're right the current strategy is working they should keep doing it.

There is so much going on that it's hard to pin down the issue. Has the quality of coaching actually been the problem? Don't get me wrong, our coaches have had their share of issues, but this team has always been fighting a bit of an uphill battle, be it from holes in the roster, or injuries, or what not.

Sometimes the coach losing the room despite being a great coach. Even some of the best coaches out there have had it happen to them.

In all honesty though, if we fire Boucher, everybody knows it's just going to be Crawford who gets the job, right?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I could be wrong, but didn’t we go to game 7 of the conference finals with Boucher in his first year? Can someone tell me if that’s good? How far did Minnesota go with Boudreau last year?

You used one example, my point is they need to change the strategy. It feels like groundhog day as a sens fan.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There is so much going on that it's hard to pin down the issue. Has the quality of coaching actually been the problem? Don't get me wrong, our coaches have had their share of issues, but this team has always been fighting a bit of an uphill battle, be it from holes in the roster, or injuries, or what not.

Sometimes the coach losing the room despite being a great coach. Even some of the best coaches out there have had it happen to them.

In all honesty though, if we fire Boucher, everybody knows it's just going to be Crawford who gets the job, right?

I don't think they should fire Boucher, I actually think that they just need to calm down try and get healthy and stop making so many roster changes/line changes and just let everyone settle in. I think too much change has got us to this point.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Give Boucher the season. If we miss the playoffs let him go, if not he can stay. We need to be able to hold onto a coach for more than a couple seasons.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO Boucher has his issues... the grass is always greener and its too early to talk about firing the coach.. if their are adjustments to be made and Boucher and the team are to make them its not going to be overnight...I also think Pierre Dorion (or the GM) , while not wanting to micromanage, can be a leader and help address issues with younger player roles... Boucher like he wants from his players, has to buy in to that as well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Basing the quality of a coach on the luckiest run fo the century is goign to cause a seriously skewed result.

It's like saying we drafted Karlsson 15th overall, so we're going to trade our 1st overall pick in 2018 for 15th, because we know we'll get a generational guy there! It's crazy thinking. There's a reason why certain coaches last a long time in the NHL...they are simply better at coaching in this league.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Basing the quality of a coach on the luckiest run fo the century is goign to cause a seriously skewed result.

It's like saying we drafted Karlsson 15th overall, so we're going to trade our 1st overall pick in 2018 for 15th, because we know we'll get a generational guy there! It's crazy thinking. There's a reason why certain coaches last a long time in the NHL...they are simply better at coaching in this league.

I’m sorry, our run last year was lucky? Why do you say that?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I’m sorry, our run last year was lucky? Why do you say that?

Boston was playing with an AHL defense. (And no, Erik playing the best hockey of his NHL career on one foot does not count as having a 'key' injury.)

Hank was playing like an ECHLer for most of the second round.

Pittsburgh was missing several key guys, and was playing sleepy hockey, and still beat us. We also had some interesting pro-Sens calls in that series that gave us one win.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Boston was playing with an AHL defense. (And no, Erik playing the best hockey of his NHL career on one foot does not count as having a 'key' injury.)

Hank was playing like an ECHLer for most of the second round.

Pittsburgh was missing several key guys, and was playing sleepy hockey, and still beat us. We also had some interesting pro-Sens calls in that series that gave us one win.

Boston was banged up, but I don’t agree with AHL defence. Lundqvist was not playing like an ECHLer. Yes, Boston had injuries on their back end and Lundqvist did not play up to his usual standard, but you’re exaggerating big time here man.

Calling it the luckiest run of the century lol. You enjoy hyperbole don’t you?

If you don’t want to give this team any credit for making it whithin one goal of the finals, that’s cool. You do you man. You do you.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've seen enough, it's time to move on. His system has been figured out by opposing coaches much like it did when he was in Tampa.

- Passive in dzone . Little chip plays instead of a hard pass.
- players standing around in neutral zone when we are "on the attack "
- No sustainable offensive pressure and mostly perimeter shots too the net.

The list goes on and on. Hopefully Dorion realizes that with the talented lineup we have we should be much better than this.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I asked this in the GDT for the game in SJ, but I’d like to see a focused discussion on this.

It seems to be common knowledge that Boucher loses the room in year two, but is that true? What actually happened in TB? I remember hearing at the beginning of last year that goal tending let him down. Were there other factors?

Basically, I’d like to figure out if Boucher causes his own sophomore slump, or has he just been unlucky with his goalies?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad