Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
The people who say he should go to a current contender don't realize that there is a pretty good chance the team he goes to will be going through a rebuild within the next 3 or 4 years. There is no real way around it because of the salary cap. Chicago has been excellent for over half a decade but ultimately they're going to have to reconfigure the organization.

Does Vesey want to go through a rebuild in his early 20's or in his late 20's?

Group Chat Legend*

The people who say he should go to a current contender don't realize that there is a pretty good chance the team he goes to will be going through a rebuild within the next 3 or 4 years. There is no real way around it because of the salary cap. Chicago has been excellent for over half a decade but ultimately they're going to have to reconfigure the organization.

Does Vesey want to go through a rebuild in his early 20's or in his late 20's?

This is why NJ, Buffalo make sense to me . rangers as well but they need a retool.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This kid absolutely does not deserve 5 threads

He's essentially a free 6'3" 1st round calibre prospect who's developed about as well as one could have hoped for a guy going for the full college ride.

No guarantees that a prospect like that will pan out at the NHL level, but it's no mystery why a message board called "Hockey's Future" would be so interested in his destination.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
beside Nash fans (who's team draft him) , what other team's fans will be upset if he doesn't sign with them?

While he put some good stats at college , at 23 seems a little old for college no? , shouldn't he be in the AHL or if he was really good in NHL already?

seems like a lot fuss over this guy

Absolutely not a single one should be, plenty will be.

I glanced occasionally at the other threads and hopes were being pinned strictly on the wings of a prayer.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
beside Nash fans (who's team draft him) , what other team's fans will be upset if he doesn't sign with them?

Well considering how many Maple Leafs, Rangers, Sabres, Blackhawks, and Bruins fans (especially Maple Leafs fans) are commenting in these threads, I think you have your answer.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
A guy who was a Nashville 3rd round pick who wound up being the Hobey Baker winner this year because he stayed all 4 years in college and beat out guys who were freshmen and juniors because he is fully physically mature and was dominating teenagers in the ECAC and since he decided to not sign with Nashville and go to free agency, which him needing to wait until Aug 16 to talk to teams and literally nothing else going on right now outside of journeyman FA signings, its a huge deal for a kid who is likely a routine 30-40 pt player

wow, there's a sentence ladies and gents

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well considering how many Maple Leafs, Rangers, Sabres, Blackhawks, and Bruins fans (especially Maple Leafs fans) are commenting in these threads, I think you have your answer.

What's the point of getting upset. It is what it is. You take the players that want to play for you.
If Vesey signs with your team, good, let's see what he can do. If not, ok, let's see what someone else can do. Another player will get the opportunity and may surprise.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
He's essentially a free 6'3" 1st round calibre prospect who's developed about as well as one could have hoped for a guy going for the full college ride.

No guarantees that a prospect like that will pan out at the NHL level, but it's no mystery why a message board called "Hockey's Future" would be so interested in his destination.

Meh, hobie baker award winners have a cruddy NHL track record iirc... If he was just signing as a prospect, great, but some team will likely have to give him a one way contract and lets be real here, he wont be nhl ready.... Im betting he will be more impactful for his second team than his first... We tend to overrate these kinds of guys here, especially if they have size

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Not sure if this was already posted here, but ESPN is reporting that the Rangers, the Leafs and the Devils are the favorites to land Vesey. The Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins are also considered.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...y-decided-short-list-teams-becomes-free-agent

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/sources-boston-bruins-not-a-favorite-to-sign-jimmy-vesey

According to SCN, it's the Rangers, Devils and Chicago (instead of the Leafs) as the favorites.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Meh, hobie baker award winners have a cruddy NHL track record iirc... If he was just signing as a prospect, great, but some team will likely have to give him a one way contract and lets be real here, he wont be nhl ready.... Im betting he will be more impactful for his second team than his first... We tend to overrate these kinds of guys here, especially if they have size

The CBA stipulates that Vesey (age 23) has to sign a two year, two way ELC.

The Hobey Baker award tends to go to juniors and seniors and the top NHL prospects usually turn pro after their freshman and sophomore years. It's similar to the Heisman Trophy in some respects. The player who had the best season in college hockey doesn't necessarily imply the best prospect in college hockey. I wouldn't read too much into past Hobey winners with regards to whether Vesey will pan out as a pro. He's a unique situation.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Not sure if this was already posted here, but ESPN is reporting that the Rangers, the Leafs and the Devils are the favorites to land Vesey. The Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins are also considered.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...y-decided-short-list-teams-becomes-free-agent

So like every team that's ever been mentioned? Good reporting ESPN. :laugh:

Next Article:

"1 of these 30 teams could win the Cup this year"

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
He just turned 23 in late May. College players are 18-22, sometimes older..

I heard this on the radio a year or so ago but 23 is actually the prime of a players career.

Gretzky, ages 23, 24 and 25 were his 200 point seasons.

Lemieux's highest season was at age 23 (199 points).

Crosby's highest season was at 19 (120 points)
His second highest was at 22 (109 points)

Kane is proving an exception with his best season being his last one at age 27 but his second best one was the lockout season at age 24.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I heard this on the radio a year or so ago but 23 is actually the prime of a players career.

Gretzky, ages 23, 24 and 25 were his 200 point seasons.

Lemieux's highest season was at age 23 (199 points).

Crosby's highest season was at 19 (120 points)
His second highest was at 22 (109 points)

Kane is proving an exception with his best season being his last one at age 27 but his second best one was the lockout season at age 24.

You couldn't even give 3 examples.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Vesey isn't as talented as Panarin.

He can make big bank on his 2nd and 3rd contracts but he's likely at best a 50 point player and a solid support player.

Could you name a player comparable of Vesey from current NHLrs?

I asked this already on last topic, nobody did answer what kind of player he is.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So like every team that's ever been mentioned? Good reporting ESPN. :laugh:

Next Article:

"1 of these 30 teams could win the Cup this year"

The point is that there's a first tier (the Rangers, the Leafs and the Devils) that have the best odds, and the second tier with 5 teams that are still in but with worse odds, and the rest of the 22 teams are pretty much out.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Realistically, Vesey is best off going to a team where he'll be a third liner than top-6. It allows him to flourish against easier competition and without as much pressure. If he truly deserves to be in the top-6, ANY team will find a spot for him. When McDonagh joined the Rangers, the top 2 LD spots were taken by Staal and Roszival, so theoretically there was no space for him. A spot was created and he found himself on the first pairing very quickly. When Zubov joined the Rangers, there were 2 offensive defensemen ahead of him to play on the PP and in the top-4. A spot was immediately created for him and he led the Rangers in scoring in 1993-94. There was also no spot for Lundqvist to start since Weekes was seen as the starter for 2005-06. After being a backup for a few games, he began splitting ice with Weekes, and by Christmas, he was a starter.

If you deserve a certain position, the team will find a way to give it to you because they can always trade another guy for someone who fills a hole elsewhere. On the other hand, if you don't deserve to be in the top-6 and you're placed in that spot because either the team is bad or you negotiated it, then you'll quickly start to show that you don't deserve it, fans will turn against you and your game will permanently suffer because rather than developing in the right position, you are thrown to the wolves to get abused by facing superior competition and overly high expectations.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
quote this with what you would do in his situation and why.

Sign with the Sabres. Upcoming team with some amazing young talent, that center depth, top6 roster spot, location, chance to be part of something great in the future. And I went to Harvard so I actually get that BUF did use a real and valuable asset on me while the others just had me sit thru some of the most boring powerpoint slideshows like ever.

So I'd definitely sign with Buffalo. So classy of me, positive karma coming my way!

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Sign with the Sabres. Upcoming team with some amazing young talent, that center depth, top6 roster spot, location, chance to be part of something great in the future. And I went to Harvard so I actually get that BUF did use a real and valuable asset on me while the others just had me sit thru some of the most boring powerpoint slideshows like ever.

So I'd definitely sign with Buffalo. So classy of me, positive karma coming my way!

I mean, Nashville used the same asset; before he became the FOTM. Obviously that particular fact can't be that important.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
wow, there's a sentence ladies and gents

What's the problem?
There is one comma, but it can't be hockey related because there is no period.

Shame on Vesey, picking/expoiting on all those kids in his division.
I guess there were no 22-23 year old guys when he first started College, so he doesn't know how these young guys felt about him.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
NBC Sports is reporting that Detroit's GM said he was told that Detroit is not in the mix because it is too far from home. That would presumably be a major knock against Chicago and Toronto.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This kid absolutely does not deserve 5 threads

I'd hazard a guess, that at least two threads worth of those posts, are posts saying he doesn't deserve to be talked about so much, creating even more talk about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad