Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I can't wait until he picks a club, so we can all finally settle down and realize that he's going to be at best a third-line winger. He'll be a solid depth acquisition, but little more than that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can't wait until he picks a club, so we can all finally settle down and realize that he's going to be at best a third-line winger. He'll be a solid depth acquisition, but little more than that.

According to Nashville fans he has top 6 potential

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Has there been a confirmed list of teams he's talking to on Wednesday?

Boston will be the last team Wednesday and I think the last team overall that he's agreed to meet. They'll be meeting at Warrior Arena, the new practice facility of the Bruins.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
3rd round draft pick that won an overrated award. Probably good for 25 points this season, the big deal is he's a free young asset who can improve.

I think more along Wheelers (21g/45pts) or Hayes (17/45) rookie seasons are more realistic.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
quote this with what you would do in his situation and why.

Personally? I probably would have signed with Nashville when they offered him a top 6 spot on a playoff team (after his 2nd NCAA season). After the 3rd season I don't blame him for going to FA, as I would have done the same if for some reason I didn't sign before. At that point it's 1 more year. But personally I doubt I would have waited that long.

If I did wait till FA, I'd sign in Pittsburgh (and yes I'm a homer). The lure of being able to play with Crosby or Malkin on a fast skilled team that just won the cup would be pretty enticing. Both from a lifestyle thing (playing with that team and those players daily) to the enticement of what they could do for ones future earnings.

But overall, I don't really blame him for going to route he did (wherever he signs). I think it sucks for organizations who do not pressure the kid to leave school and to get their degree's but who then lose the player for nothing. At the very least there should be some sort of compensation made to NSH. At least they found a sucker in BUF to get a pick back... but it still sucks for them and their fans.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Personally? I probably would have signed with Nashville when they offered him a top 6 spot on a playoff team (after his 2nd NCAA season). After the 3rd season I don't blame him for going to FA, as I would have done the same if for some reason I didn't sign before. At that point it's 1 more year. But personally I doubt I would have waited that long.

If I did wait till FA, I'd sign in Pittsburgh (and yes I'm a homer). The lure of being able to play with Crosby or Malkin on a fast skilled team that just won the cup would be pretty enticing. Both from a lifestyle thing (playing with that team and those players daily) to the enticement of what they could do for ones future earnings.

But overall, I don't really blame him for going to route he did (wherever he signs). I think it sucks for organizations who do not pressure the kid to leave school and to get their degree's but who then lose the player for nothing. At the very least there should be some sort of compensation made to NSH. At least they found a sucker in BUF to get a pick back... but it still sucks for them and their fans.

Nashville pressured him too much. That was the problem. He wanted to finish college, they were insistent he sign.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The people who say he should go to a current contender don't realize that there is a pretty good chance the team he goes to will be going through a rebuild within the next 3 or 4 years. There is no real way around it because of the salary cap. Chicago has been excellent for over half a decade but ultimately they're going to have to reconfigure the organization.

Does Vesey want to go through a rebuild in his early 20's or in his late 20's?

Pittsburgh isn't rebuilding in 3-4 years. Crosby is 29, Malkin 30, Letang 29 and Kessel 29. Not young, but with the right surrounding pieces, easily capable of producing over the next 4-6 years, especially with the young guys they have coming up to help take the load off them. Add in a very young blueline (Maatta and Dumoulin are 21/24) and their star goalie prospect who just won a cup is 22, and as long as they draft smartly they'll be fine over the next 5-7 years. And despite having 4 big contracts (6.8m+) they're actually in very good shape cap wise (at least over the next 2 seasons).

CHI while I don't think they'll "rebuild", I also really question how well they'll do as they continue to try and keep their core together. Unless Hossa gets hurt and goes onto LTIR (I hope not), they're going to have some pretty crippling cap issues over the next 3-4 years or so (and likely beyond). However... at least you know where you stand with these teams. Remember when OTT was a great young team? Yeah... no cup. Same with Edmonton... opps... no playoffs. Toronto and Buffalo look promising... however there is absolutely no guarantee that they'll do anything or have any real success. Sure their window is open longer, however that's no guarantee. And it also means they'll have more growing pains to overcome.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
The earliest the Hawks will rebuild is when Toews and Kane retire. So in about 10 years or so. Plenty of time to get a new core of superstars implemented and winning Cups. Vesey needs to consider this and make the correct call. Or he'll play close to mommy in the comfort zone, where nothing truly great ever happens for anyone ever. His choice.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
The earliest the Hawks will rebuild is when Toews and Kane retire. So in about 10 years or so. Plenty of time to get a new core of superstars implemented and winning Cups. Vesey needs to consider this and make the correct call. Or he'll play close to mommy in the comfort zone, where nothing truly great ever happens for anyone ever. His choice.

By the unnecessary vitriol with which you describe the option of playing close to home I assume you're a Chicago fan. I understand the notion that your team may not be the most attractive destination for a player can be hard to take, but if Vesey wants to stay in Boston, that is no reason to criticize him, invoke sexist momma's boy stereotypes--it's his father who is ill, FYI, not his mother--or claim there can be no excitement in that choice.

By the way, I don't understand how Chicago can "implement" "a new core of superstars" without rebuilding...?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
.By the way, I don't understand how Chicago can "implement" "a new core of superstars" without rebuilding...?

I can see Blackhawks pretty low in standings when Seabrook and Keith are having their last contract years so drafting high could be solution to give Toews and Kane chances couple more contender years. Of course a guy like Forsling could be the next real deal and he could get at least Hjalmarsson's money after current contract is done.

But it's gonna be rolling dices managing it. Very unlikely that retool works, but I can't see them going for full rebuild if Kane and Toews are both in team. Maybe with Toews because of his leadership and future HOF-status, but I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to go team like Jets after current deal.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Nashville pressured him too much. That was the problem. He wanted to finish college, they were insistent he sign.
Based on what? Nashville knew that if he planned on graduating then there was literally no chance he wouldn't test free agency. Let's not pretend that the Preds even had a chance here.

They offered him a chance to play top 6 minutes on a playoff team and getting to RFA a year earlier. If he actually wanted to play for the Preds he would have delayed graduating and taken that offer. Nothing anyone is offering today comes close to that. I say this as a Hawks fan who dislikes the Preds.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener

Vesey has better stats in college than Chris Kreider and he's a top 6 forward on NY.

Try again

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Graduating from Harvard is a huge accomplishment that many hockey players are not capable of. Many of the WHL 18 year old phenoms are barely graduating high school. Many graduating college players sign with their drafted club to be 1 year closer to RFA status and to grab that fast cash of $100 k they receive via signing bonus and the last few games of the season on a NHL roster.

Vessey gave up about $ 150-200 k not signing with Nashville for their playoff run.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I heard this on the radio a year or so ago but 23 is actually the prime of a players career.

Gretzky, ages 23, 24 and 25 were his 200 point seasons.

Lemieux's highest season was at age 23 (199 points).

Crosby's highest season was at 19 (120 points)
His second highest was at 22 (109 points)

Kane is proving an exception with his best season being his last one at age 27 but his second best one was the lockout season at age 24.

This is exactly why teams want to sign him. He is going to give a team the best years of his career on an entry level deal. If he plays great and earns whatever bonuses are given then great, if he doesn't then he is making 4th line money and having 3rd liners making 4th line money is also going to make your team deeper.

There is almost no risk signing this kid and they don't have to invest years in his development. It is a can't lose situation for whoever signs him.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Yes. From my viewings of Vesey the past few years, I haven't seen anything that shows me he could be better than Kreider.

From my viewings of both of them I definitely think Vesey was better in college. That doesn't always mean it is going to be that way forever, but from their school days Vesey was the better player. I won't be surprised if Vesey is the better NHL player too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad